Modwright KWI 200 Hybrid-- A Pipe Dream?

Joe Frances

Modwright KWI 200 Hybrid-- A Pipe Dream?
« on: 9 Jul 2018, 12:53 am »
So, I have been holding out for a hybrid version of the KWI 200 with some sweet 6922s in the lineup to add that Dan Wright tube lovers element to make this the ultimate in integrateds.  Is it a pipe dream?  Hey i can wait, I am patient.  :D

modwright

Re: Modwright KWI 200 Hybrid-- A Pipe Dream?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2018, 02:54 pm »
Hi, not a pipe dream!  I am planning our next integrated and yes, I do want it to have tubes! 6922 would be the tube of choice.

It may be closer to 100W, but I am considering styling it much like the KWI 200. I would like to reduce the depth of the enclosure to 15", as 17" deep is tough to fit on many racks. There will also be some changes to the enclosure to allow more exposed heat sink area.

I am also considering using the same circuit used in the KWA 150 and output devices. How about a KWH 150?

Is 200W necessary and preferred?  This will influence the cost!

All input welcome!

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2019, 04:38 pm by modwright »

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2018, 06:53 pm »
Personally, I'd like to see the KWI200 get an update and remain the flagship integrated model. Maybe KWI200 v2 with updated plug-in modules?

As such, I'd like to see this new integrated be the entry to Modwright in general. Don't make it too big (which will increase the cost of the chassis...and greatly increase the cost to the consumer).  Give it an encoder / numeric display, at least for volume control. Most motorized pots are AWFUL. This is absolutely a deciding factor for me when considering integrated amps and preamps, yet not many integrateds have volume encoders with displays. Make it 100 watts, but give it a switchable 80hz high/low pass filter for easier subwoofer integration as well as more total system power / headroom when a subwoofer or two are added...as high passing the mains will put less strain on the internal amp.  :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2018, 11:16 pm »
Thank you for the feedback! It answers my question about the need for a digital display.

It is my intent to offer a lower cost SS integrated and also possibly a higher price Hybrid integrated.

Dan

Artp

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2018, 02:44 pm »
How about an SE upgrade for current KWI-200 owners.

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2018, 02:57 pm »
It would honestly be too time consuming and costly, given that the majority of the amp is built on one big PCB.

At this point, I am looking at a new hybrid integrated that will combine the sound of the 150SE (same output stage and devices) and marry it with a tube preamp stage.  The face plate, overall ergonomics and styling will very much be the same as the KWI 200, but ideally 1"-2" shorter and with more exposed heat sink area.

This design will be very modular to allow upgrades of any portion of the amp easily, as well as phono and other source options.

Thanks,

Dan

Joe Frances

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2018, 10:55 pm »
Hi, not a pipe dream!  I am planning our next integrated and yes, I do want it to have tubes! 6922 would be the tube of choice.

It may be closer to 100W, but I am considering styling it much like the KWI 200. I would like to reduce the depth of the enclosure to 15", as 17" deep is tough to fit on many racks. There will also be some changes to the enclosure to allow more exposed heat sink area.

I am also considering using the same circuit used in the KWA 150 and output devices. How about a KWH 150?

Is 200W necessary and preferred?  This will influence the cost!

All input welcome!

Thanks,

Dan

Dan:

FABULOUS NEWS!

Depending upon when you might get around to producing a new hybrid integrated, I would jump at the chance to purchase this unit (subject to when it actually comes out; the price and features) without need to demo, based upon your deep commitment and reputation.  I would love to have more information when available.  For me,  100-125 watts would be plenty.

Thanks,

Joe

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2018, 11:47 pm »
150 watts into 8 ohms and more into 4. Even more if you can make it happen within your size limits.  Despite what speaker manufacturers claim, I frequently find performance improved when I use amplifiers more powerful than the speaker maximum rating.  I have not smoked a speaker yet. 

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2018, 03:33 pm »
The plan at this point is to base the amp section on the KWA 150SE circuit, built in an enclosure with very much the same styling as the KWI 200, but with more exposed heat sinks and a couple of inches shorter.

The preamp stage will be all tube.  It will include a HP amp and phono stage.

Price is still TBD.

I would like to size it for 150W, with at least the first 10 watts in pure Class A.

Thanks,

Dan

Joe Frances

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2018, 11:54 pm »
This is very exciting.  Now, Dan, let me put you on the spot a little bit.  When do you think you might be coming out with this unit?  By the way, I like the name KWI 150 by the way.

Joe Frances

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2018, 11:56 pm »
OK maybe KHI 150.....

(I know I am being inconsistent with my first post on this topic, but now that it might/could actually happen my patience as been overtaken by my excitement.)

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2018, 12:23 am »
It will happen!  Likely the KWH 150I or something like that.

Thanks,

Dan

The Rang

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2018, 02:34 am »
Uh oh
It better not be really good, or I’ll be tempted to sell my KWI-200 ;)

Joe Frances

« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2018, 01:55 am »
Dan:

In making this new hybrid integrated, what audio/sonic qualities are you striving to achieve?  Put another way, what will this new integrated amp bring to the table for integrated amp buyer, other than a smaller, more manageable size?  I'd like to know your goals for this product, by way of musical experience.

Joe

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:36 pm »
My goal is to bring the sonics of our 150SE SS power amp, combined with a good tube preamp design, in an integrated amp package of conservative size (standard width piece, but not nearly as much space as separate amp and preamp). It will also include phono and headphone features, making for a high performance system in one box. You only need add speakers, digital source and turntable for vinyl.

The sonic goal will be no compromise, whilst saving space and overall cost over separates. I like an amp with good control and neutral presentation, combined with the 3-dimensional imaging and presentation of tubes. A hybrid integrated, done well, should achieve all of these goals.

Thanks,

Dan

Don_S

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:50 pm »
Any digital input?

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2018, 12:04 am »
No digital input.  There is too much change in digital technology and it is difficult to offer a digital input option that will remain current.  Because of this, I have decided that I will offer a phono input and HP output, but not a digital input.

Thanks,

Dan

Joe Frances

« Reply #17 on: 9 Aug 2018, 01:00 am »
No digital input.  There is too much change in digital technology and it is difficult to offer a digital input option that will remain current.  Because of this, I have decided that I will offer a phono input and HP output, but not a digital input.

Thanks,

Dan

Thank you Dan for making this choice, I like the idea of pure, simple and elegant in design. 

RDavidson

« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2018, 04:38 am »
Thank you Dan for making this choice, I like the idea of pure, simple and elegant in design.

Agree. Anyone buying a high level integrated will look for (if they don't already own) a matching high level DAC.

The Rang

« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2018, 02:30 am »
That’s one of the reasons I bought the KWI 200 over a couple of other worthy candidates.
I wanted the simplest amp possible, where ALL the money and effort is spent on the amp.
No DAC, no tuner, no meters or a bunch of buttons I’d never use etc.