Servo Subs

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Servo Subs
« on: 1 Sep 2010, 07:53 pm »
Guys,

I've been absolutely floored every time I've heard a rythmik servo sub.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

This is a high-end design and I've seriously never heard any subwoofer sound better.

But the general idea is quite old and it turns out that Sony is doing something similar.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SA-W3000-Performance-180-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B000OL22T2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283370666&sr=8-2

Has anyone tried one of these things?  Thoughts?

Seth

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Servo Subs
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2010, 10:09 pm »
Thoughts?
Seth

Purchase the Rythmik and be  :D.

brother love

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2010, 10:47 pm »
Purchase the Rythmik and be  :D.

+1 on that mucho big time.  But I'm thinking Seth is asking about the cheaper version maybe ?  :green:

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2010, 10:59 pm »
Many other companies use servo tech, Velodyne, MartinLogan...and more.

I like it, and while it may reduce over all output your gain is in less distortion. And in the case of my ML Descent i, with 3 10" drivers and 2kW (peak) power I find no loss of output.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2010, 12:36 am »
I enjoy the Rythmik subs enough that I sold my first pair to upgrade to more of the same. :)

I know there was some talk about the Sony subs back when Rythmik first hit the scene.  If I remember right, their control circuit didn't really do much for the driver it was paired to (more of a marketing thing, I think was the consensus), and the sub overall wasn't really all that great - servo control or not.

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2010, 02:26 pm »
You could always follow the learning of Dr H Olson :wink: try putting a sub in a perfect sphere in which the internal spherical surfacing is continuously variable down to .25mm.........don't purchase anything just yet Seth  :thumb:

se-riously

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2010, 04:48 pm »
I use a Rythmik D15se with my One.2 and I can't be happier.  Actually, that's not entirely true because the One.2 is for sale because I have a M451 w/ tube buffer coming.   :green:

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2010, 05:46 pm »
Quit being such a cheap bast@#d and buy a decent sub.  :icon_twisted:

mamba315

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2010, 11:32 pm »
I like it, and while it may reduce over all output your gain is in less distortion. And in the case of my ML Descent i, with 3 10" drivers and 2kW (peak) power I find no loss of output.

I was looking at the smaller Depth i.  Did you find that the tri-driver design made room placement less finicky than other sub designs?

I had a ML Dynamo but it didn't work in my room (very limited placement options).

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2010, 08:14 pm »
No improvements due to the tri design, but the increased output(over the dynamo) and 25Hz control will help deal with room issues.

2gumby2

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2010, 11:12 am »
I built two Rythmik subs for one of my 2-channel systems and while the sound quality was fine, they just didn't have enough output. Brian Ding was a great guy to do business with though. I purchased two A5s subs earlier this year from Elemental Designs and found them to be equal to the Rythmiks in quality, but with MUCH better output. The Elemental Designs subs are highly recommended from my perspective.

PSB Guy

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2010, 07:27 pm »
The Elemental Designs subs are highly recommended from my perspective.
+1 here. I have an ED A3S-250 in my living room system and couldn't be happier. Tight and accurate, but plentiful when it needs to be. An awesome sub for little $.

Cornelis

ratso

« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2010, 11:43 pm »
man, you guys are more and more helpful. i went in 48 hours from knowing nothing about these guys to putting my dual subs up for sale on agon to get a pair of these.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?homesubw&1290356090&/Axiom-Audio-EP500-V2-subs-x-2-

someone makes a sub with dual inputs to combine your HT and 2 channel system - ooohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

thanx again guys!

Angaria

« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2010, 12:44 am »
Don't waste your money on the Sony.... bass quality is much better on the rythmik servos for very little money.

ratso

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2010, 02:21 am »
yep dual f15's...

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2010, 03:04 am »
Mordaunt Short MS308 Subwoofer - $95
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/1964181541.html

This is the sub I used with the Gallo Stradas at the LSAF. This is listed on Craigslist in the San Francisco area.

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2010, 01:33 am »