Lorelei positioning

recsq

Lorelei positioning
« on: 20 Jul 2018, 12:44 am »
What is the ideal position for the Lorelei toe in, straight what distance from rear/side walls etc.?

JackD

Re: Lorelei positioning
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2018, 01:45 am »
I always had mine pointing straight ahead and used the rule of 5ths for distance from the rear and side walls.  Divide both Width and Length of room by 5 then move the edge of the front baffle that Length distance from the rear wall and the center of the front baffle the Width distance from the side walls.  You may or may not need to tweek from there but that is a good starting point.   If your seat is "nearfield" then some toe-in may be necessary but I never found it to be so with the Lorelei's. 

Brettio

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2018, 03:52 am »
I used the cardas site as a guide for my square room.  http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_square.php   
Other room configurations are here  http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

I prefer my Lorelei’s without any toe in.  I can’t tell by the photo but are you using acoustic panels behind the speakers? I borrowed some panels recently and the improvement was dramatic.  Because of this I’m currently researching panels to make for my room.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2018, 11:45 am »
Acoustic panels!  One of the most overlooked but most effective tweaks after you've got everything else set.

I've got mine set straight ahead, no toe.  Every time I try to adjust that the soundstage gets all wonky.

recsq

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2018, 11:55 am »
This is an old picture from a previous home we owned the layout of our new home dictates a nearfield so I have them toed in. I have DIY acoustic panels behind them currently just want some input from the group thank you all very much!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2018, 12:10 pm »
The best advice I can give is to experiment and listen for what sounds best. Use recordings you are familiar with. There are general rules of course, but they are guidelines to get you in the ball park. From there you can tweak position until it suits you.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2018, 03:33 pm »
I agree completely timind.  I would only ask the membership what guidelines everyone uses for that last step fine tuning.  I start with thirds and fifths, which approximates 2D horizontal antinodes.  This works because this placement works best to reduce bass peaks.  Then I fine tune with side to side placement to adjust mid bass and front to back to adjust low bass.  Toe in for soundstaging, imaging, and high frequency response.  What about you guys?

pepperinca

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2018, 12:17 am »
Lorelei owner here ...

What outriggers do you have?

AlTran

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2018, 09:47 pm »
recsq, if this is my room, the first thing I would do is to take the TV away, then play some of your favorites music. For me every room is different, I'm lucky to have a good room to start my setup.

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2018, 08:51 pm »
I had upgraded Lorelei speakers (Kismet  floor standing) for 5 years and to get them to really image, I had them toed in.  It really locked in the sound and the voices floated in front of you.  I like the outrigger bases on your speakers.  I went with xtra sharp cones from Adonis.