Jon's red rosewood SoundScape 8's

jsalk

Jon's red rosewood SoundScape 8's
« on: 7 Jan 2014, 03:50 pm »
Jon wanted a pair of SoundScape 8's.  He was initially debating song towers with a RAAL upgrade, but decided to skip right over them and go straight to a pair of SoundScape 8's.  His hobby of breeding ball pythons allows him to reach a bit further than he otherwise could on equipment upgrades.  Over the past year, his ball pythons worked hard and made lots of exciting new babies to fund the project.

Jon wanted a rosewood finish, but wanted them more red than a standard rosewood veneer.  So we applied a deep rose/red dye to the rosewood.  Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Jon also upgraded to Mundorf Silver Oil and Mundorf Supreme caps.

Happy listening Jon...careful not to wake the snakes!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2014, 05:31 pm by jsalk »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Jon's red rosewood SoundScape 8's
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2014, 03:59 pm »
That's a lot of snakes!

padgman1

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2014, 04:18 pm »
If there is ANYONE who crafts speakers that appear better ( let alone SOUND better) than custom-made Salk speakers, I'd like to know who it is............ great job!!

( Disclaimer: I don't own any Salk speakers..........but I wish I did..........)

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2014, 04:40 pm »
Beautiful!!!! Congratulation Jon. Enjoy your new Python...

SCompRacer

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2014, 04:48 pm »
Another beautiful pair of SS 8's! You're going to enjoy them Jon!

I was wondering if the story would end with Jim taking a Python or two towards payment. :o I'm sure Mary would be thrilled. :lol:

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2014, 05:09 pm »
Congrats Jon!

I know you've been working on this a long time.  I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing them in person.  :thumb:

Meicheng

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2014, 05:16 pm »
A gripping story.  I am constricted by the beuatiful finish!

JonnyFive

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2014, 05:19 pm »
Thanks, everyone!  I'll get some pics and listening impressions posted in the next couple days.  They make me want to call in sick to work and stay home listening, but unfortunately that's not an option! :) -Jon

JonnyFive

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2014, 05:19 pm »
I was wondering if the story would end with Jim taking a Python or two towards payment. :o I'm sure Mary would be thrilled. :lol:

Haha!!! :)

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2014, 05:32 pm »
Jon -

Post a few pics of your prize pythons while you're at it.

- Jim

JonnyFive

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2014, 06:01 pm »
Jon -

Post a few pics of your prize pythons while you're at it.

- Jim

Happy to oblige, Jim.  I'll put together a thread this weekend with pics. 

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2014, 09:48 pm »
I'm a fellow reptile enthusiast for MANY years and my hat is off to you.  It's a tough market to be profitable in and you've obviously done well.  Beautiful speakers.  Exactly what I would get from Salk if I could afford them.  I'd add piano finish and be incredibly happy!  Phenominal work!  Great choice as well!

Robert

Denverhifi

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm »
Jim,
Please explain the two Mundorf upgrades?
Would switching from Castrol to Mundorf oil make a difference in my Songtowers? :lol:

Patrick

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2014, 01:19 am »
Hi,

The veneer finish and colour looks very similar to my Salk Sound HT3's which were finished in deep rose/red and with a red gum veneer.  I really like the look of this particular finish.  I sure wish I could have afforded the SS8's though.

Cheers Rod

ratso

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2014, 01:56 am »
well now here's a story that you don't hear every day.

Ern Dog

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2014, 03:17 am »
Gorgeous finish!  Nice choice.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jan 2014, 09:56 am »
Any chance for a photo with a python draped over the SS8?

Marvelous work Jim and great choice Jon

I love that color

JonnyFive

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jan 2014, 02:16 pm »
I'm a fellow reptile enthusiast for MANY years and my hat is off to you.  It's a tough market to be profitable in and you've obviously done well.  Beautiful speakers.  Exactly what I would get from Salk if I could afford them.  I'd add piano finish and be incredibly happy!  Phenominal work!  Great choice as well!

Robert

Thanks Robert, yes, it is tough.  I am fortunate that the reptile hobby is all extra income, my day job provides for my essential needs.  I wouldn't want to rest my family's well-being on the reptiles (or any live animal, for that matter), it's just too unpredictable from year to year. -Jon

JonnyFive

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2014, 02:18 pm »
The veneer finish and colour looks very similar to my Salk Sound HT3's which were finished in deep rose/red and with a red gum veneer.  I really like the look of this particular finish.  I sure wish I could have afforded the SS8's though.

Rod, I know I came across some HT series in a similar finish and a pair of SS8s in the exact same finish.  Those who'd chosen the finish before me were very helpful in making my choice, so thanks! -Jon

JonnyFive

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jan 2014, 06:45 pm »
Jim,
Please explain the two Mundorf upgrades?
Would switching from Castrol to Mundorf oil make a difference in my Songtowers? :lol:

Patrick

Pat, I'll fill in a bit about the cap upgrades from my perspective.  I believe Jim and Dennis are both of the camp that it really doesn't make an audible difference.  The GR Research N3S speakers I upgraded from had Sonic Caps with Platinum bypass caps.  I wanted the SS8s to exceed them in every way, and so I thought I'd sleep better at night by upgrading the caps.  The Mundorf Silver/Oil come very highly regarded for tweeter applications, and I thought the Mundorf Supremes would be a good sonic match in the mids (too expensive/bulky to do silver oil in the mids).  Does it make a a sonic difference?  I've only heard one set of SS8s so I don't know.  My guess is that it's a minute difference, if any, and under an AB test probably not discernible.