Best guitar players of all time

smargo

Re: Best guitar players of all time
« Reply #40 on: 19 Apr 2020, 01:57 pm »
my dark horse guitar monster of all time

"glen campbell" look at this video of solo lead guitar from the 30 second mark to the 1:36 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PEf7yYCZE

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #41 on: 19 Apr 2020, 02:11 pm »
These greatest guitarist threads always look only at the rock and blues guys.  I've always thought the classical guitarist are the top of the list. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #42 on: 19 Apr 2020, 02:16 pm »
My dad's favorite was Roy Clark. I think Roy and Glen Campbell were way ahead of any other cw pickers.

Roy Clark example. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhiKgeJV3k0
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2020, 04:09 am by OzarkTom »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #43 on: 19 Apr 2020, 02:22 pm »
Even Jazz guitarist are better than rock guys, one these guys are here starting 1:55 to 4:30, according Deodato this track was recorded first take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpTIF_-i1Dg

FireGuy

« Reply #44 on: 19 Apr 2020, 02:42 pm »
Even Jazz guitarist are better than rock guys, one these guys are here starting 1:55 to 4:30, according Deodato this track was recorded first take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpTIF_-i1Dg

Thank you FullRangeMan.  That's what I'm talking about!!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #45 on: 19 Apr 2020, 02:45 pm »
Sweet darling.

bacobits1

MHL

« Reply #47 on: 19 Apr 2020, 03:11 pm »
Paul Kossoff -What a shame that he died so very young!  Incredible talent.

Samac

« Reply #48 on: 19 Apr 2020, 03:18 pm »
Phil Keaggy -  :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

kbuzz3

« Reply #49 on: 19 Apr 2020, 03:19 pm »
Any list is incomplete without mention of roy Buchanan.. Anne not the best. But up there....

Derek truck my candidate to become top 3 eventually

Photon46

« Reply #50 on: 19 Apr 2020, 03:46 pm »
These greatest guitarist threads always look only at the rock and blues guys.  I've always thought the classical guitarist are the top of the list.

Very true. That said, these audio forum "whose best" threads are the musical equivalent of "Chevy vs. Ford" auto enthusiast arguments. In the case of classical vs. rock vs. jazz guitar greats, it's a case of what skill set do you want to weight most heavily in your evaluations? Technical facility and speed, improvisational chops, emotive power, musical finesse........the list goes on and on.

For a man with skills bridging worlds of Jazz and Rock, check out the great Johnny A. His albums are very well recorded and I go back to them often when in the mood for this kind of music. He hates touring, so he tends to stay close to home usually and as a consequence isn't as well known as would be otherwise. Gibson guitars has sold a beautiful Johnny A signature model for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCTm1TcL7z8

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #51 on: 19 Apr 2020, 04:15 pm »
John Mayer is no slouch. Maybe not as flashy in style, but his melodies are understated.

So true.  I've been fortunate enough to see him a few times in recent years with Dead and Company.  He's certainly no substitute for Jerry on vocals, but boy can he play that guitar.

mmurt

« Reply #52 on: 19 Apr 2020, 05:54 pm »
For me impossible to name 1.  One name not mentioned here so far is Ronnie Earl.

radarnyc

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 20 Apr 2020, 02:57 am »
Ronnie Earl And The Broadcasters was audiophile recorded by Audioquest.
https://www.discogs.com/pt_BR/Ronnie-Earl-And-The-Broadcasters-Still-River/release/3366762

ksbruce

« Reply #55 on: 20 Apr 2020, 12:28 pm »
Very true. That said, these audio forum "whose best" threads are the musical equivalent of "Chevy vs. Ford" auto enthusiast arguments. In the case of classical vs. rock vs. jazz guitar greats, it's a case of what skill set do you want to weight most heavily in your evaluations? Technical facility and speed, improvisational chops, emotive power, musical finesse........the list goes on and on.

For a man with skills bridging worlds of Jazz and Rock, check out the great Johnny A. His albums are very well recorded and I go back to them often when in the mood for this kind of music. He hates touring, so he tends to stay close to home usually and as a consequence isn't as well known as would be otherwise. Gibson guitars has sold a beautiful Johnny A signature model for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCTm1TcL7z8

Listened to him last night!

dflee

« Reply #56 on: 20 Apr 2020, 02:39 pm »
There are so many out there that can make that axe sing.
The ones that really stand out to me are the ones who let the instrument do the talking.
The ones without the flash. The quiet ones who just do their thing and seem to say "hope
you like it". It's those that make the toughest of progressions look so danged simple and
yet few can duplicate. I told Russ Barenberg that he made me realize how bad I really am.
He thanked me for the compliment and said don't compare and to just have fun cause once you
hit a certain level it is very hard to keep it fun.

Don
ps: add Russ to the list.

FireGuy

« Reply #57 on: 20 Apr 2020, 04:53 pm »
Sweet darling.

Thank you Sir.  She's the one girl of three Grand kids.  They are such a joy.  Being a Grandparent is so amazing.  I equate it to being in the military.   They can tell you what's it like but you'll only truly understand when you experience it.   I so miss them.  Hopefully today's situation changes soon.  I'm going to give them my audio equip down the road. Hope they enjoy it as much as I have.

RoadTripper

« Reply #58 on: 20 Apr 2020, 06:01 pm »
Larry Coryell

pehare

« Reply #59 on: 20 Apr 2020, 06:07 pm »
some of my favs are....

Roy Buchanan
Grant Green
Tony Rice
Clarence White