Suspension rotting / Buying used cartridges. . .

Hantra

« on: 12 Jun 2003, 02:53 am »
All:

A post that Marbles made got me thinking about something.  I was once told that the average cartridges suspension essentially rots away in about 6 months to a year.  If that's the case, we wouldn't want to buy used cartridges, right?  I mean, I am afraid to buy a sued cartridge as it is anyway.  Kind of like buying a used tube.  

Anyhow, what do you guys think about this assertion, and buying used cartridges?

B

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2003, 03:02 am »
I have no idea on how long the suspension lasts, but, on my Sansui turntable, it has what looks to be the original 27 year old Sansui cartridge that sounds OK.  Not like my Symphonic Line RG8 mind you (modded Van Den Hul Grasshopper), but not terrible.

Also, so there is no misunderstanding rebuilt is different then used.

To your question, I would be a bit leary of buying a used cartridge only because you never know what you are getting.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2003, 03:13 am »
If it rots away in only 6 to 12 months I sure couldn't justify an expensive cartridge.

I had a Shure V-15 Type V in my previous 'table and it sat in storage for 7 years before I returned to vinyl and other than the belt rotting off the table everything worked just fine and it still sounded very good.

I have read of folks having trouble with suspension that has dried out and is no longer flexible. I suspect it's highly dependant on the materials used by the manufacturer.

Personally, I would be very hesitant when buying a used cartridge. Is it really 50 hours of use or 500?  :o

Mike