LP12 and Air Isolation Platform

andyr

« on: 3 Jun 2003, 08:35 am »

A recent post on Vibration Control directed readers to an old article by Shannon Dickson, in the Stereophile archives.  This was a good white-paper on vibrations and what you can do to stop them ruining your sound system and Shannon came out in favour of pneumatic isolating devices a la Seismic Sink and Vibraplane.

My question to y’all out there is:  If you use an air isolation platform then – and this Q is specifically with respect to a Linn LP12:
*  Is it still a good idea to put the light rigid stand which LP12s love so much (like a Mana or Dekstand) on top of the Seismic Sink/Vibraplane?
*  Or, having isolated the LP12 with the Seismic Sink/Vibraplane, have you got all you need?

Regards,

Andy

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2003, 09:47 pm »
I would try (from the bottom up)
Dekstand
innertube
solid platform (Corian perhaps)
Linn

I tried this combo. The Linn is not evenly balanced, I had trouble getting the Linn level. I ended up going back to
Dekstand
Linn

andyr

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2003, 12:55 am »
Malcolm, hi there.

I agree an inner-tube (or haemorrhoid cushion!! :-) ) will give problems re. leveling the LP12.  That's why I use a heavy bit of slate resting on 36 squash balls - this gives me no problem with leveling (using my Mana level which fits over the spindle).

I would also think the (heavy) piece of Corian resting on the Dekstand refutes some of the advantages of this "light, rigid stand" - it was designed to have a foam-sandwich top to rest the LP12 on.

That's why I'm wondering whether, now that I have accoustic isolation fixed, the Dekstand would improve things (yes, I could experiemnt but it's rather a fiddly process and I don't have "golden ears").

Regards,

Andy