NuPrime digital front and + amplification options

JM

NuPrime digital front and + amplification options
« on: 24 Mar 2017, 06:40 pm »
Hello all,

I'm considering building a new system with NuPrime as the digital front end and amplification. I have a few options in mind:

Option 1
DAC-9 + STA-9
Balanced, separated digital and amplification PS, option for dual mono.

Option 2
DAC-9 + STA-6 (probably a dual mono setup)
Single ended, separated digital and amplification PS, dual mono amplification. More neutral presentation (per description).

Option 3
IDA-8
Shortest signal path, one PS shared for all. Less costly, more practical. (STA-6 will have to be returned...)

My sources are all digital. I'm leaning to option 2, but wanted to gather some feedback... Comments, suggestions?

My current music system is a mac mini -> NAD D 7050 -> Lee Taylor Concerto's.
(the NAD D 7050 also gets input from TV and Airplay (not critical) or USB from iOS devices)

I've already bought a STA-6 and use the NAD as a dac/pre only. And have a taste of NuPrime.. :-)

rustydoglim

Re: NuPrime digital front and + amplification options
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2017, 06:47 pm »
Unless you prefer more warmth in the sound, STA-6 is an excellent choice.
Definitely Option 2 since you already have one STA-6.  It is an incredible bargain for this level of performance.

For those who want absolute budget system, go with IDA-6 plus Encore mDSD (for USB audio to optical SPDIF into IDA-6).

IDA-8 is always the "can't go wrong" all-in-one choice when you just need something for a nice reading room set and forget about the complexity.