What are you using for surround sound speakers in your HT?

thehay95

• https://giupviecnha24h.com/
I'd love to run 2 pairs of SongSurround I's for my surround and rear speakers for HT, but I just don't have that kind of money for speakers that will see very little use.  I'd love to get the opinion of the masses and find out what you use with your Salks and how you mounted them.  Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks!

witchdoctor

Re: What are you using for surround sound speakers in your HT?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2018, 03:48 pm »
What receiver are you using? How many surround channels do you want? Are you going to wall mount or use stands?
Do you plan on upgrading in the future to an immersive system with height channels too? Budget?

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2018, 06:28 pm »
Welcome to AC!

I still use the surrounds I built in 1985, back when Hi-Fi VHS Surround was still alive and the latest thing. The speakers are now paired with Salk HT2-TL fronts and Salk Varacity HTC center speakers and sound great. The dipole design fills the rear of the room with sound, all 4 speakers in each cabinet are now connected in phase so there is some directionality without the pinpoint location that would pull your attention away from the screen. I use an AVA Insight 3 channel amp for the center and surrounds so there is always enough power for clear dialog and death star explosions at the same time.

I don't have any discrete 5 channel music so having matching speakers is not a concern for me.

Each surround has 2 Vifa M13SG09-16 5" woofers and 2 Vifa D27TG05 silk dome tweeters with a 12 dB high pass filter rolled off at 80 Hz. The speakers are painted the same color as the wall and most visitors don't notice them in my living room.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2018, 06:52 pm »
The Vifa surround kit I have is at the bottom, I made the cabinet.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2018, 09:07 pm »
NHT bookshelf speakers work great as surrounds with Salk mains.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2018, 10:00 pm »
NHT bookshelf speakers work great as surrounds with Salk mains.

That's what I'm using, NHT Super Ones.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2018, 11:05 pm »
DML panels for surround sound throws a very huge soundstage and great imaging.

guf

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2018, 11:24 pm »
That's what I'm using, NHT Super Ones.

NHT here too.

I once had SS8s as my mains HT2-tl center and song towers for my rears. Yes totally over kill. I'm just as happy with my song towers as mains, kef center, and NHT rears.  I'm not one to care as much for my minimal movie watching. Just sayin.

vkohl

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2018, 09:43 am »
I use 4 TOTEM STTAF speakers for my sides/rears in my 7.2 HT.

I like ALL my speakers at the same height. Putting little speakers up on the walls is so mickey mouse.

My fronts/center are of course SALK VERACITY HT3 and SALK VERACITY HTC3

And completing the setup are 2 RYTHMIK FV15HP-SE subwoofers.

This speaker setup cost me $9100 ... and all were bought USED....that would of been $16,500 new !

HAPPY AUDIO HUNTING !  :popcorn:

benguin

« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2018, 08:55 pm »
I went for the Song Surround 1 for left and right surrounds wall mounted on swivels, and Jim did a custom sized box WOW1's wall mounted on French cleats for rear duty.  This also allows us to select the rear speakers and surrounds for pool table/ping pong area as well.   

With some spare multi-channel amp capacity, I pulled my old M&K SX-4's into duty as wide speakers.  For movies, the receiver expands out the sound very well.

For most use, movie surround content isn't too picky, and you could certainly experiment.  Main thing I've loved on the Salk's is the clarity of the surround content- footsteps, birds, etc sound very very good and frequently surprise people.  ("Hey, is that our dog barking?")

« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2018, 02:56 am by benguin »

billmcc

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2018, 01:01 am »
I'm using 1801-TLs for surrounds with HT2-TLs as mains and an 1801-b as a center. Adding the full range 1801-TLs as surrounds elevated the SQ of my system when playing multichannel music substantially!

Bill