Should I be Insulted? & Why No Respect?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2006, 12:24 am »
>Price prices go into effect June 1.

Oh--and Jim--I think you should change the dcr in the second tweeter shunt inductor to .4 ohms.  That will be $15,000.

jsalk

« Reply #41 on: 13 Jan 2006, 01:16 am »
Dennis -

The check is in the mail. Happy to oblige.

- Jim

GHM

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jan 2006, 02:20 am »
Jim,

This is off topic. I'm curious if you do any custom cabinet work? I've salivated over your speaker's cabinets for quite some time. Could you or would you build custom cabs for other speakers with the proper schematics? I would try it myself but couldn't possibly make cabinets as beautiful as what I've seen you make.
By the way I'm a customer that's not concerned with paying more to be satisfied. :lol:

Thanks

jsalk

« Reply #43 on: 13 Jan 2006, 03:48 am »
GHM -

I do quite often build cabinets for speakers other than ours.  The only caveat is that delivery may take time.  If you have plans (cabinet drawings I can work from), time and an adequate budget (I'm reasonalbe, not cheap), perhaps it would be possible.

- Jim

GHM

« Reply #44 on: 13 Jan 2006, 09:22 am »
:lol: Thanks Jim ..that's what I wanted to know. Reasonable is good with me. When I get everything together, I will send you the plans so you can give me an estimate on the cost. Not looking for something free just sensible. :wink:

Thanks again

ctviggen

« Reply #45 on: 13 Jan 2006, 02:07 pm »
I think that Wilson is one of those companies (like, perhaps, Jeff Rowland), that produce the equivalent of sonic jewelry.  Now, I happen to like both Wilson and Jeff Rowland, but I do think both are overpriced for what one gets.  I don't begrudge or belittle anyone for buying them, however (including me, as I own a JR amp).  

The DIY thread about Wilsons was interesting to me, though, from the standpoint of choosing speakers based on frequency response curves in an anechoic chamber.  I'm not sure how valid of an argument that is.  While the scientist in me loves data, I'm not sure that one should choose speakers based on only one data point (what about efficiency; transient response; etc.).  The artist in me (sadly, an atrophied part of myself) also believes in listening/touching/looking.   There has to be some happy medium, and the DIY thread tended toward the more scientific analysis using a single data point.  I'm not sure that's valid.

texas steve

« Reply #46 on: 13 Jan 2006, 04:46 pm »
Quote from: GHM
:lol: Thanks Jim ..that's what I wanted to know. Reasonable is good with me. When I get everything together, I will send you the plans so you can give me an estimate on the cost. Not looking for something free just sensible. :wink:

Thanks again

Hey,, dont keep him to busy, I want him to keep working on my Ht3s!!!

Q

Re: preamps?
« Reply #47 on: 23 Jan 2006, 03:04 pm »
"Paying more just to brag about the high price never made sense to me."

Tell that to the millions of Harley Davidson owners out there!

texas steve

« Reply #48 on: 23 Jan 2006, 04:06 pm »
Quote from: Q

Yep, but they are GREAT bikes!  Ive owned Jap and American bikes, and in the end there is nothing like a Harley!!

Q

« Reply #49 on: 25 Jan 2006, 01:20 pm »
Quote from: texas steve

Yep, but they are GREAT bikes!  Ive owned Jap and American bikes, and in the end there is nothing like a Harley!!

Well, I see the MOTOR COMPANY has lulled another lemming to the crowd!  THANK GOD there is nothing like them, or we'd all be stuck with 1930's bike technology.  If audio kept that pace, you'd have your ear in the horn of an Edison cylinder player!  I've been on 5 Harleys, and frankly it made me ashamed to be an American.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #50 on: 25 Jan 2006, 01:33 pm »
Ok, let's try and stay on topic or please move the motorcycle talk to the Sports Bar Circle.

Thanks,

George

texas steve

« Reply #51 on: 25 Jan 2006, 01:33 pm »
Quote from: texas steve

Well, I see the MOTOR COMPANY has lulled another lemming to the crowd!  THANK GOD there is nothing like them, or we'd all be stuck with 1930's bike technology.  If audio kept that pace, you'd have your ear in ...

Well, I guess we shall agree to disagree!   That's the great thing about being an American, there are so many choices that we all can be happy!
Now go forth and have a GREAT DAY!

Q

« Reply #52 on: 25 Jan 2006, 04:36 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Ok, let's try and stay on topic or please move the motorcycle talk to the Sports Bar Circle.

Thanks,

George

Sorry, but I thought the original analogy was relevant to the discussion.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #53 on: 25 Jan 2006, 04:47 pm »
I was ok with the analogy...I just didn't want it going down the road of US vs. Japaneese products or turn into a heated debate.

George