When can we expect a HT sub?!

95bcwh

« on: 18 Jan 2006, 10:01 pm »
Hello Jim,
  Any plan to add a HT sub to your existing product line, So that people who're interested in a 5.1 system won't have to buy a sub elsewhere?

Thanks
RV

Marbles

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2006, 03:13 am »
RV -

I am working on a number of different subs right now.  I have one (a 15" sealed design) that is completely veneered and I will start finishing tomorrow.  I expect it to be completed along with a pair of HT3's, an HTC and a pair of HT1's for a complete home theater system for a gentleman in Miami.  I should have photos in about two weeks.

But I can build virtually any type and size sub you would like - from about 1 cu. ft. to 14 cu. ft. - 10", 12" 15" or 18" - 250 watts to 1200 watts or more.

It seems like each sub project is a unique project, designed for a specific application.

The new 15" sealed sub will be the first of a series of subs I will offer as a specific product.

- Jim

Pelallito

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2006, 03:21 am »
Jim-
What are the over all dimensions of the 15" sub that you are in the process of making?
Pelallito

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2006, 04:53 am »
Pelallito -

Quote from: Pelallito
Jim-
What are the over all dimensions of the 15" sub that you are in the process of making?
Pelallito

The main cabinet is 21" wide, 21" deep and 24" tall.  The plinth and spikes will add approximately 3" to the height.Yours is already veneered.

- Jim

brj

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2006, 07:37 am »
Jim, at what frequencies are HT3 owners tending to cross-over your various sub designs?

How low does the 15" sub go?

Thanks!

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2006, 03:15 pm »
brj -

Quote from: brj
Jim, at what frequencies are HT3 owners tending to cross-over your various sub designs?

I know of no HT3 owners using a sub with them (although there may well be, I am just not aware of it).  I am currently completing two 15" subs and will let you know as soon as I finish them and test them with a pair of HT3's.

Again, it is a little premature to say for certain.  There are two factors involved here.  First, the size of the cabinet and whether or not it is ported.  These first subs will be sealed, so they will not go as low as a ported design.  Ported subs will go lower, but the cabinet will be much larger.

The second factor is the EQ capabilities of the plate amp.  These first units will use ADA plate amps.  They cross as low as 35 Hz (which is probably what would be used with HT3's) and have dual bands of parametric EQ (to both deal with room issues and extend the response).  I would imagine these would play to about 20Hz (or slightly lower) with EQ and could move a good deal of air.  Again, a much larger vented cabinet will obviously play lower.

Subs using the 15" TC drivers can be designed to play into the mid-teens or even lower.  But the cabinet size, number of drivers, plate amp power and EQ requirements would all have to be taken into consideration.  The lower you go, the larger the cabinet required, the greater the number of drivers and the more power required.  That is why, to date, I have approached each subwoofer project as a one-of-a-kind proposition (these subs may be an exception as I may offer them as a standard product).

- Jim

Pelallito

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2006, 07:37 pm »
Jim-
Hmm, a little taller than I imagined. :o  Can't wait to see photos!!
Please send/post when you can. Just leave the camera at your shop. :mrgreen:
Pelallito

brj

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2006, 08:00 pm »
Actually, those dimensions are starting to resemble a small end-table... which wouldn't be a bad thing at all!

In my living room, there are places in the open seating area that I can put an end-table, but I have no location against a wall to place a separate sub that wouldn't be in the way.  Since I have a concrete slab foundation, I have no idea how I'd get wires to such an end-table sub without ripping up the carpet to run flat cable, but it is an interesting idea.  In addition, I'm sure that such a creation from Jim would pass any aesthetic test!

Quote from: jsalk
Quote from: brj

Again, it is a little premature to say for certain. There are two factors involved here. First, the size of the cabinet and whether or not it is ported. These first subs will be sealed, so they will not go as low as a ported design. Ported subs will go lower, but the cabinet will be much larger.

Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part Jim... I know you have multiple 15" configurations on the drawing board.  I meant my question to be specific to the 21x21x24 inch sub that you already have in work.  I figured that this would at least provide a rough idea of what can be achieved in a relatively small package.

Pelallito

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2006, 09:02 pm »
brj-
I was thinking about using it as an end table. I was wondering what would happen to anything that was on top of it, when it started to rumble! :lol:  
Pelallito

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2006, 11:28 pm »
Pelallito -

Quote from: Pelallito
brj-
I was thinking about using it as an end table. I was wondering what would happen to anything that was on top of it, when it started to rumble! :lol:  
Pelallito

I have had owners use their subs as end talbes or corner tables in the past (I built them for a specific use in the room).  Most put things on top of them (in part to disguise the fact that they are subs).  This rarely presents a problem.  

But, of course, the sub will vibrate somewhat.  So if you have an object with a very smooth surface, you may want to use a mat of some sort or small cork or rubber discs on the bottom to prevent the object from moving.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2006, 11:32 pm »
brj -

Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part Jim... I know you have multiple 15" configurations on the drawing board. I meant my question to be specific to the 21x21x24 inch sub that you already have in work. I figured that this would at least provide a rough idea of what can be achieved in a relatively small package.

Again, depending on the amount of EQ used and the power available, 20 Hz or better extension is possible for the sealed version of this sub (greater extension with the larger ported version).

- Jim