Award from Industry Giants

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Award from Industry Giants
« on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:40 am »
I'm happy to announce that Joe D'Appolito (Usher,Snell) and Roy Allison (AR,Allison Acoustics) were among judges that recently awarded first place to a speaker that I did the crossover design for. I'm honored to be recognized by such industry giants for whom I have the greatest respect. Thanks to Parts Express for hosting the event and Paul Kittinger for inviting me to assist with his speaker, the CanTiLena.

Paul and I have collaborated on some previous designs and he approached me about doing a new project. He was already familiar with the Morel dome midrange and asked for my input about the other drivers for a 3-way. I suggested the Fountek ribbon tweeter and Scan-Speak woofer. The result was a 1st place award in Iowa and now Ohio.  :thumb:

AKView

Re: Award from Industry Giants
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2008, 04:04 am »
Nice job Rick,  Thanks for the info... 

hikinokie

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:12 pm »
Congrats Rick, color me impressed. I had no idea you tweaked the crossover on my S6's knowing they were going against a wall. I'm just floored.

Zero

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2008, 05:08 pm »
Congrats Rick ! :)

Paul K.

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2008, 05:32 pm »
Obviously I was also very pleased and honored to have the canTiLenas win again, especially after being chosen by these auspicious judges at PE's event and considering some of the competition there (as well as in Iowa).  With all modesty intended, I can't begin to describe how good the canTiLenas sound.  Rick did a super job on the crossover and his recommendations for the woofer and tweeter worked out really well.  The SS aluminum-coned woofer is REALLY expensive but its performance is commensurate with its price, and it works really great in the ML-TL I designed for it.
Paul

I'm happy to announce that Joe D'Appolito (Usher,Snell) and Roy Allison (AR,Allison Acoustics) were among judges that recently awarded first place to a speaker that I did the crossover design for. I'm honored to be recognized by such industry giants for whom I have the greatest respect. Thanks to Parts Express for hosting the event and Paul Kittinger for inviting me to assist with his speaker, the CanTiLena.

Paul and I have collaborated on some previous designs and he approached me about doing a new project. He was already familiar with the Morel dome midrange and asked for my input about the other drivers for a 3-way. I suggested the Fountek ribbon tweeter and Scan-Speak woofer. The result was a 1st place award in Iowa and now Ohio.  :thumb:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2008, 05:44 pm »
I searched through pictures on the PE board and at diyaudio for pictures of the canTILenas with no luck.  Can you please share some Paul?

Cacophonix

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2008, 06:17 pm »
Search for "cantilena" on www.htguide.com/forum, there are a couple of pics there.

Paul,

Are the plans available free anywhere or does one have to buy it from Rick or you?

hikinokie

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2008, 06:50 pm »
There's pic on www.quarter-wave.com including *ahem* the crossover. :o

Paul K.

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:38 pm »
I'm happy to share cabinet plans but because he wishes to protect his proprietary rights for the crossover design, particularly for the MDM55, you'll have to work with Rick for crossover information or a crossover kit.
Paul

Search for "cantilena" on www.htguide.com/forum, there are a couple of pics there.

Paul,

Are the plans available free anywhere or does one have to buy it from Rick or you?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:42 pm »
There's pic on www.quarter-wave.com including *ahem* the crossover. :o

Here are the pics:

Looks very nice!   :thumb:

George

cadobhuk

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2008, 04:43 am »
Cant say I dig the looks, but I bet the sound is very smooth and seamless if Rick did the crossover.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2008, 04:16 pm »

Paul,

I can provide a kit with assembled crossovers, drivers, and miscellaneous parts if anyone is interested.

RobC

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:36 am »
Congratulations Rick and Paul K!

Their endorsement just confirms that the CanTiLenas were a well executed design. IMO, I thought that they sounded the best overall at last year's IowaDIY2007 meet. I just loved them.

Paul K,

I hope to see you at this years' event if you can make it.

2gumby2

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2008, 11:01 am »
Rick,
   Could you provide a price for the kit on the canTiLenas? Are they sensitve to placement? How far should they be from the wall? Thanks.

Paul K.

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:17 pm »
Rick incorporated ~3-dB of BSC into the crossover at my request, which is the amount I always use because I'm forced to place them just several inches from the wall behind.  They sound quite good in my living room and they sound equally good in a larger venue and far away from walls.
Paul

Rick,
   Could you provide a price for the kit on the canTiLenas? Are they sensitve to placement? How far should they be from the wall? Thanks.

Paul K.

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:21 pm »
Thanks, Rob, I really appreciate your positive comments.  Yes, I plan on attending the next Iowa event; I just recently completed a pair of speakers expressly for Iowa's Budget class, the cenTiLanas.  They're a lower cost and smaller version of the canTiLenas and they placed 3rd in the Dayton-driver category at PE's event on the 12th.  I plan on making some minor tweaks to the crossovers before Iowa.
Paul

Their endorsement just confirms that the CanTiLenas were a well executed design. IMO, I thought that they sounded the best overall at last year's IowaDIY2007 meet. I just loved them.

Paul K,

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2008, 04:41 pm »
Thanks, Rob, I really appreciate your positive comments.  Yes, I plan on attending the next Iowa event; I just recently completed a pair of speakers expressly for Iowa's Budget class, the cenTiLanas.  They're a lower cost and smaller version of the canTiLenas and they placed 3rd in the Dayton-driver category at PE's event on the 12th.  I plan on making some minor tweaks to the crossovers before Iowa.
Paul

Paul K,

Paul - did you design the crossover for the budget speaker?

Paul K.

Re: Rick...
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:52 pm »
No, I didn't design the crossover for the cenTiLanas.  One of our fellow DIYers, Pete Schumacher, did it using Jeff Bagby's PCD program.  At Pete's recommendation I offset the tweeter in a 3-4-5 configuration; its center is 3" from the top of the baffle, 4" from one side and 5" from the other side to smooth the effects of diffraction.  I also lined up the midrange's center with that of the tweeter.  I think the implementation turned out pretty good but not likely quite as good as would be possible from on-baffle measurements of the actual drivers.  From what Pete designed, I've lowered the midrange's output by 1 dB based on several weeks of listening.  Pete used a Duelund topology.
Paul