A Radically Different Type Of OB

MUstageFan

• All False GODS Demand Some Sort Of Human Sacrifice
A Radically Different Type Of OB
« on: 3 Mar 2008, 11:36 pm »
Hi All,
I wanted to make a DIY clone of this speaker http://www.wolcottaudio.com/WA_omni.htm
and I was thinking of making it a stuffed U-frame Dipole/T-Line. My questions are
(1)when does a U-frame Dipole become a T-line (2) What are the BSC rules for such a weird Speaker
(3)Will four GR Research M165-X's with a Morel MDT33 give me 92db@8 ohms and go down to about 30hz?

Thanks Ben

mcgsxr

Re: A Radically Different Type Of OB
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2008, 12:26 am »
Interesting speaker, would appear to be the theoretical cousin of the Mirage Omnipolar, or Shahinian speakers, though the rhetoric on the website would try to distance those associations.

As for the GR165X, I am sure it will hit 30Hz in a box of that size, I am not sure if you are going to try to model it exactly, or just knock off something similar.  The flared nature of the enclosure (it states 21x21 at the bottom, but does shrink in footprint as it gets taller) makes it hard to guess the internal volume, but I am sure you would be able to do 1.5-2 cubic feet per driver, if you wanted a ported box (like they suggest that speaker is).

As for your question about U frame and T line, I would say it depends on the length.  A U frame is usually bass only, and thus the depth is quite short, in order to keep resonance out of the frequencies that the woofer is covering - ie Martin King talks about a 16x16 panel, with 7.5 inch wings, with a resonance of loosely 200Hz+ - but this is destined to be above the woofer's passband.

A T line uses the resonance as the lowest frequency for reproduction, and tends to be much longer.

Not sure why you would want to try an OB version of this, as it is not an OB to begin with.

A T line will be tougher, I think, with that many drivers, in a relatively short distance.

In any case, what do you intend to use as the spherical deflector?

Dmason

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2008, 12:44 am »
If you are choosing those drivers, I would think about a folded pipe/horn, a BIB, and use the ND tweeter on a dipole baffle adjacent to the pipe. THAT would be interesting, and it would work. You certainly will hit 30Hz..

Spreadsheets www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp   

el`Ol

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2008, 08:30 am »
A hybrid between an omni and a dipole is no problem, I did it. But a hybrid between a U-frame and a TL is something I would avoid. When I rework it one day I will avoid the U-frame completely and use an L-frame with corner-placed top-driver.

iON

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2008, 01:53 pm »
Hi Ben! That looks like a fun speaker to clone.  :P

As I understand you are thinking about keeping the omni setup for the tweeter and making a u-frame or TL for the woofers?

By the look of the cabinet a U-frame doesnt seem like a optimal solution though. If you have the woofers pointing upward and the opening of the U-frame towards the floor (guess it would need some legs) you will have the dipole nulls towards the listner position and that seems like a not so great idea. You could of course turn the whole woofer enclosure towards the listner but then it wouldnt me much of a "clone" anymore :-). However, a TL could be a nice option.