open baffle line array - need advice

zobsky

• Fringe Lunatic - Dallas, Tx
    • My Audio Blog
Re: open baffle line array - need advice
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2007, 01:31 pm »
You're using $3 drivers and a mile of wiring for 24 of them and worrying about what??

.... worried about all my hard work going in vain Making cutouts for, wiring up and mounting close to 100 drivers is no joke, I tell you. :) More work than some horns I've built in the past. Luckily, it's a labour of love (or hate). Wiring will be cat 5, single strand.

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tweeterholesev5.jpg

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2007, 10:58 am »
Hello Zobsky,

I thought my experience with the Visaton B200 might be useful to you.

I have been using open baffle line source speakers in my music system for around four years and can verify that the performance from this type of speaker can be excellent. My earlier experiments were less than satisfactory due to the use of budget drive units (MCM aluminium cone units). However the design did show promise so I persevered. The MCMs had resonance problems in the lower treble area and a falling output above around 5 KHz so I was forced to use an additional tweeter array with a simple crossover. I also tried various damping methods on the MCM cones. Better but still not satisfactory. Budget drive unit, budget results.

Last year I decided that I had to find a good full range drive unit so I could remove the crossover and consequently improve the phase response of the line. I had noticed that the Visaton B200 8” full range drive units were getting good comments on the forums so checked out their specs and concluded that, with frequency response correction, they should work well in my application. I ordered two for appraisal and fitted them to my test baffles. Initially they sounded loose and disjointed at the bass end and generally untidy at the top end. The mid band sounded promising so I let them run in for a while in the AV system which is used daily by the whole family. After a few days they began to improve and after a month of general improvements they settled into a nice balanced and very musical performance. The bass was a little lightweight but that is to be expected from one B200 drive unit per side on an OB. The top end rolls off above 15KHz and the response curve for the unit shows a 10 dB trough at around 12.5 KHz. This could have accounted for the initial untidy top end, but after burn in it sounds a lot smoother, so I suspect the curve was measured on a brand new drive unit without the benefit of burn in. One day I will persuade myself to part with the cash for a loudspeaker measurement system so I can verify what I am hearing.

My local wood craftsman just happened to be the guy who manufactured Torlyte products for Russ Andrews here in England. So I got him to machine my line baffles for me. Boy was he accurate. Everything screwed together perfectly with no fettling. I wired the drive units in parallel with a symmetrical wire layout to ensure that the drive units receive identical drive signal. I don’t like the series/parallel approach because putting a reactive loudspeaker voice coil in series with another drive unit gives too much interaction and it wreaks the damping and control provided by the amplifier. Each line has eight B200 drive units so the resultant impedance is 0.75 ohms. I don’t need to tell you that most amplifiers would not like this so I designed a nice single ended, DC coupled, Class A mosfet current amplifier to do the business. The prototype is rated at 2.5 watts into 0.75 ohms, but that’s fine as the line has an efficiency of 105 dB for one watt at one metre (horn efficiency territory). The theoretical power handling for eight B200 drive units is 320 watts continuous, 560 watts peak although I suspect that this may have to be de-rated a little for open baffle use. Those with large rooms could achieve well over 120 dB per channel at the listening position. So a full concert orchestra can inhabit your home.

How do these speakers sound? Firstly I should state that my requirement from my music system is that it should convince me that I have a live performance in front of me. I am a retired musician and have designed a number of acoustic instrument PA systems for touring folk musicians who wanted to be louder (to cover larger audiences) without any clue that amplification was being used. I have also attended a considerable number of classical performances (totally acoustic) over the years. I also like my rock music to rock. These loudspeakers go loud without stress and the dynamic range is awesome, although, as I like to listen to music at realistic levels, 2.5 watts can’t quite manage a full concert orchestra, in overdrive, in my listening room (the scope shows slight clipping on crescendos). So a bigger amplifier is my next addition (perhaps 10 watts of class A to keep up with the orchestra). The speakers are idling most of the time and the distortion is correspondingly very low (the cones are hardly moving). The drive units are highly responsive and present subtle detail beautifully (critical for the illusion of a live performance). The imaging is very stable at all dynamic levels, and musical events have a well-defined place on the stage. It is not possible to locate the position of the loudspeakers. Tempo and timbre are very good. This is partly due to the drive unit quality and partly due to lack of a crossover to mess up the relationship between the fundamental notes of the music and their harmonics (this coherence is much more important than achieving extended bandwidth). The bass reproduction is very natural (no cabinet resonances to muddle up the bass) with little room interaction (line sources are very good in this respect). Good program from all sources is very convincing and I’ve spent a lot time in front of these speakers without listener fatigue. The room positioning isn’t critical as long as you leave reasonable space behind the speaker (a metre is fine in my room). There is no critical hot seat. If you move to one side you just get a different perspective of the sound stage. This is very convenient for communal listening. Interestingly, I haven’t found an overwhelming urge to apply frequency response correction, although I do intend to investigate this, when time allows, to see if I can do it without destroying the musical coherence I have at present.

Downsides? Nothing drastic. The bass is well presented and goes deep with decent weight (probably due to the line source directivity reinforcing the bass and balancing out baffle losses) but it isn’t as full at the bottom end as a sub woofer could achieve. The extreme top end could be a tad more extended but I am not going to sacrifice coherence for this, as what is presented is very natural. Airheads would probably feel the need to supertweet.

I am impressed with the B200 drive units. They were designed for music not measurement. I can understand all the positive comment on the forums. A line source using these drive units won’t dump the performance on your lap but it will present a nice illusion of a realistic sound stage with live musicians on it. The line is also very good in AV systems, if fact quite scary with some programs (excellent dynamic range).

Regards
Paul

audiotone

« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2007, 04:12 pm »
Hello Zobsky,

I have been using open baffle line source speakers in my music system for around four years and can verify that the performance from this type of speaker can be excellent. My earlier experiments were less than satisfactory due to the use of budget drive units (MCM aluminium cone units). However the design did show promise so I persevered. The MCMs had resonance problems in the lower treble area and a falling output above around 5 KHz so I was forced to use an additional tweeter array with a simple crossover. I also tried various damping methods on the MCM cones. Better but still not satisfactory. Budget drive unit, budget results.

Last year I decided that I had to find a good full range drive unit so I could remove the crossover and consequently improve the phase response of the line. I had noticed that the Visaton B200 8” full range drive units were getting good comments on the forums so checked out their specs and concluded that, with frequency response correction, they should work well in my application. I ordered two for appraisal and fitted them to my test baffles. Initially they sounded loose and disjointed at the bass end and generally untidy at the top end. The mid band sounded promising so I let them run in for a while in the AV system which is used daily by the whole family. After a few days they began to improve and after a month of general improvements they settled into a nice balanced and very musical performance. The bass was a little lightweight but that is to be expected from one B200 drive unit per side on an OB. The top end rolls off above 15KHz and the response curve for the unit shows a 10 dB trough at around 12.5 KHz. This could have accounted for the initial untidy top end, but after burn in it sounds a lot smoother, so I suspect the curve was measured on a brand new drive unit without the benefit of burn in. One day I will persuade myself to part with the cash for a loudspeaker measurement system so I can verify what I am hearing.

My local wood craftsman just happened to be the guy who manufactured Torlyte products for Russ Andrews here in England. So I got him to machine my line baffles for me. Boy was he accurate. Everything screwed together perfectly with no fettling. I wired the drive units in parallel with a symmetrical wire layout to ensure that the drive units receive identical drive signal. I don’t like the series/parallel approach because putting a reactive loudspeaker voice coil in series with another drive unit gives too much interaction and it wreaks the damping and control provided by the amplifier. Each line has eight B200 drive units so the resultant impedance is 0.75 ohms. I don’t need to tell you that most amplifiers would not like this so I designed a nice single ended, DC coupled, Class A mosfet current amplifier to do the business. The prototype is rated at 2.5 watts into 0.75 ohms, but that’s fine as the line has an efficiency of 105 dB for one watt at one metre (horn efficiency territory). The theoretical power handling for eight B200 drive units is 320 watts continuous, 560 watts peak although I suspect that this may have to be de-rated a little for open baffle use. Those with large rooms could achieve well over 120 dB per channel at the listening position. So a full concert orchestra can inhabit your home.

How do these speakers sound? Firstly I should state that my requirement from my music system is that it should convince me that I have a live performance in front of me. I am a retired musician and have designed a number of acoustic instrument PA systems for touring folk musicians who wanted to be louder (to cover larger audiences) without any clue that amplification was being used. I have also attended a considerable number of classical performances (totally acoustic) over the years. I also like my rock music to rock. These loudspeakers go loud without stress and the dynamic range is awesome, although, as I like to listen to music at realistic levels, 2.5 watts can’t quite manage a full concert orchestra, in overdrive, in my listening room (the scope shows slight clipping on crescendos). So a bigger amplifier is my next addition (perhaps 10 watts of class A to keep up with the orchestra). The speakers are idling most of the time and the distortion is correspondingly very low (the cones are hardly moving). The drive units are highly responsive and present subtle detail beautifully (critical for the illusion of a live performance). The imaging is very stable at all dynamic levels, and musical events have a well-defined place on the stage. It is not possible to locate the position of the loudspeakers. Tempo and timbre are very good. This is partly due to the drive unit quality and partly due to lack of a crossover to mess up the relationship between the fundamental notes of the music and their harmonics (this coherence is much more important than achieving extended bandwidth). The bass reproduction is very natural (no cabinet resonances to muddle up the bass) with little room interaction (line sources are very good in this respect). Good program from all sources is very convincing and I’ve spent a lot time in front of these speakers without listener fatigue. The room positioning isn’t critical as long as you leave reasonable space behind the speaker (a metre is fine in my room). There is no critical hot seat. If you move to one side you just get a different perspective of the sound stage. This is very convenient for communal listening. Interestingly, I haven’t found an overwhelming urge to apply frequency response correction, although I do intend to investigate this, when time allows, to see if I can do it without destroying the musical coherence I have at present.

Downsides? Nothing drastic. The bass is well presented and goes deep with decent weight (probably due to the line source directivity reinforcing the bass and balancing out baffle losses) but it isn’t as full at the bottom end as a sub woofer could achieve. The extreme top end could be a tad more extended but I am not going to sacrifice coherence for this, as what is presented is very natural. Airheads would probably feel the need to supertweet.

I am impressed with the B200 drive units. They were designed for music not measurement. I can understand all the positive comment on the forums. A line source using these drive units won’t dump the performance on your lap but it will present a nice illusion of a realistic sound stage with live musicians on it. The line is also very good in AV systems, if fact quite scary with some programs (excellent dynamic range).

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

nice to see you here...
wow line array with 8 B200...
could you share any pictures?
I was thinking of making an array myself with Jordan JX92S, but B200 also caught my attention.

Tony

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2007, 04:14 pm »
Hello Zobsky,

Regards
Paul

Thanks very much. Lot of good info. Hopefully I'll have something to share in the coming weeks. Life has kept me busy of late.

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2007, 06:12 pm »
Audiotone

Hello Tony

Good to see you again. I’ve just posted some power supply afterthoughts in your direction on the Atman thread.

A line array with 8 B200. Yes, I know I get carried away. This hobby is supposed to save money. However, this was worth the effort of build time and the expense. I'm having trouble pasting a picture in here and have run out of time. Will have to sus this out tomorrow. If you have any advice about including pictures in posts it will save me some time.

I have used smaller full range units, but to reproduce a classical or a rock concert in full swing you need to move a lot of air, which this array can do. I was of the mind to try and avoid the use of additional drive unit types for bass and treble because I didn’t want to use crossovers with their attendant phase anomalies. The B200 seemed like the best compromise, particularly as their high efficiency allows the use of small amplifiers. For instance my mosfet class A power follower design re-worked for 5 watts into 0.75 ohms requires around 3.5 amps (easy enough) but only needs a voltage swing of 2 volts RMS. This could be driven from a typical DAC with no further voltage gain to give 111dB (rather loud) at 1 metre per channel. This is very beneficial for linearity (the more voltage amplification stages you have to apply, the more the potential for damaging distortion). Less is more (although I do use one fet, or valve depending on my mood, to amplify other sources like vinyl that may not have as much output as a digital source). I suppose this is the minimalist approach in the extreme.

One interesting attribute of the line is that, because of it’s directionality, the SPL only falls off at the rate of 3 dB per doubling of distance near field (up to about 12 ft), unlike a point source that would tend to fall at 6 dB. This gives a 6 dB advantage in SPL at a 12 ft distance over a point source speaker.

Also, because of the directionality, there is less energy propagated towards the edge of the baffle, which reduces cancellation at low frequencies, allowing good bass response. Very little floor and roof reflection is another benefit. All in all, there is little room interaction to mess up the imaging or the sound of bass instruments. Room positioning isn’t particularly critical either.

Got to go for food.

Regards
Paul

audiotone

« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2007, 07:26 pm »
Audiotone

Hello Tony

Good to see you again. I’ve just posted some power supply afterthoughts in your direction on the Atman thread.

putting images here puzzles me to...
the easiest way is to put them on your personal website (or any website you have access to) and put a link in your post.

I was thinking of putting a series capacitor in front of the b200's in order to keep the impedance "normal".
this would be a 6db/oct filter but outside the audio band.(ok not perfect)

I would use "only" 2 or 4 each side...

about the aftertoughts...I kicked everything off (BG and Bybee) and play directly from the battery.
maybe a seperate psu or battery for the dac is the way to go.

I was thinking of this open baffle: http://users.pandora.be/tony.de.lobelle/New_B200_OB_edited-400x480.jpg

audiotone

« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2007, 07:27 pm »
hey I got the picture in!!!

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2007, 10:41 pm »
audiotone

Hello Tony

You seem shocked that you got the picture in. How did you do it? Via a website? It would all be a lot easier if pasting was allowed. I am in the process of re-writing my website so I will probably add a personal project page and stick it in there. I am very busy at work at the moment so I don't know how long it will take. Maybe a few weeks.

Two or four B200 per side won't give you true line performance, although you would gain some efficiency and body. I was initially surprised at how the scale of the musical presentation increased dramatically with 8 x B200 per side. This was a "more than the sum of the parts" moment. On reflection this is not actually surprising as one unit just can't shift anywhere near enough air to reproduce a kick drum or a timpani for instance. Because of this one drive unit would always only give an open but lightweight presentation.

The baffle certainly looks large enough with the wings to get reasonable bass. I couldn't fit these comfortably in my small cottage lounge. At the design stage I relied on the line source characteristics to reduce baffle cancellation and was lucky in practice.

Have you tried the Jordan units in the winged baffle? The specs look very good. Efficiency is low at 88 dB, but 16 per side would give around 100 dB for 1 watt/1 metre. The FO Hz is pretty low but Qt at 0.4 would probably mean you would need bass correction to get enough low frequency weight.

Regarding the power supply afterthoughts, check out your Altman DAC module. If there are any standard three terminal regulators on board you will get the same improvements the Monica DAC showed when the regulators were upgraded to wide bandwidth, high speed regulators. This will still happen even with a Red Top as the main supply.

It's been a long day.

Regards
Paul

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2007, 11:04 pm »
Hi tony,

I've just e-mailed the line source pic to you.

It's sleep time now.

Regards
Paul

audiotone

« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2007, 11:10 pm »
audiotone

Have you tried the Jordan units in the winged baffle? The specs look very good. Efficiency is low at 88 dB, but 16 per side would give around 100 dB for 1 watt/1 metre. The FO Hz is pretty low but Qt at 0.4 would probably mean you would need bass correction to get enough low frequency weight.

it's 20 years since I made an OB...(mono bass driver)
I have not tried the jordans in a OB...seemes the Qts is to low (?)

dear lord...16 a side...thats 32 in total, times 210 EURO = much to much...

about the correction...I am planning on bying the Behringer DEQ2496 to play with...I will keep it in the digital domain.

audiotone

« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2007, 11:11 pm »
Hi tony,

I've just e-mailed the line source pic to you.

It's sleep time now.

Regards
Paul

Thanks and good night to you too...

audiotone

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2007, 11:25 pm »

WOW....this looks good.
not too wide...should fit in my room as well.

16 x 140 EUR= not too much (but don't tell my wife yet)

only the impedance is a bit problematic when connected all in parrallel...
I made a mistake with the series cap...would be too large a value (500-1000 µF)
a coil would be better (0.04-0.06 mH) but not perfect I know...

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
« Reply #32 on: 14 May 2007, 03:46 am »
Here's what I have so far (I've routed out the woofer holes and cut the wings  - temporarily propped on the baffle for the photo-op)

FWIW, I find imageshack.us a great way to post pix to forums

JohninCR

« Reply #33 on: 14 May 2007, 03:49 pm »
Zobsky,

Solder your wires onto the drivers before attaching them to the baffles.  Also, it's a good time to treat the baskets too, since you'll never want to fool with them once you get them mounted, and cheapie baskets typically ring pretty well.  Good work!  All those driver cutouts is the only thing stopping me from experimenting more with OB arrays.

Also, before you mount the drivers, you may want to consider adding a triangular strip of wood to the inside corners in back.  That will enable a nice radius roundover on the front edges.

Lastly, are the wings the same depth?  The only time I tried same depth tapered wings I got quite a resonance, which the skillsaw cured in short order.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2007, 04:01 pm by JohninCR »

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
« Reply #34 on: 14 May 2007, 04:12 pm »
Zobsky,

Solder your wires onto the drivers before attaching them to the baffles.  Also, it's a good time to treat the baskets too, since you'll never want to fool with them once you get them mounted, and cheapie baskets typically ring pretty well.  Good work!  All those driver cutouts is the only thing stopping me from experimenting more with OB arrays.

Also, before you mount the drivers, you may want to consider adding a triangular strip of wood to the inside corners in back.  That will enable a nice radius roundover on the front edges.

Lastly, are the wings the same depth?  The only time I tried same depth tapered wings I got quite a resonance, which the skillsaw cured in short order.

Yes, I plan to solder the wires to the drivers before mounting them. This is going to be boring.

Re. treating the baskets, what do you suggest (felt, putty ....)?

The wings ARE the same depth, despite your suggestion. This is going to make it easier for me if I want to experiment with T-line type configurations by closing up the back. BUT,.. I figure that I create unequal baffle wings by tacking on a strip of wood to one wing  if needed. The best of both worlds.

... should be getting a 3/4" roundover bit in the mail sometime soon. The 3/8" bit I have  is worn beyond description.

JohninCR

« Reply #35 on: 14 May 2007, 06:35 pm »
Putty.  With very small drivers, just a ring around where the frame meets the magnet structure is enough to really damp any ring.  Hold one by the magnet and give it a flick with your finger to see what I mean.  A little roundover is better than none, but I was thinking of ripping a 2x2 in half at 45deg to put in the corners.  Then cut a 45 off of the front edges and round with a sander for a large radius.  It's not much effort and pays good dividends both front, rear, and construction strength.

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2007, 01:33 pm »
Hello Zobsky,

I have to admire your dedication regarding the machining of your baffles. The sheer number of drive units you are using would put me off. It took me two days to fabricate the stands for my line (the stands are made from full height cross braced aluminium girders to make the baffles rigid), mount the drive units and wire them up in my rather small workshop. I had to take care not to damage the paintwork on the baffles as they may end up at hifi shows in the future.

Let me know how your line sounds when finished.

Regards
Paul

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2007, 05:28 am »
Too many drivers, too little time.

The baffle sides have been glued on and painted. I wired and mounted the tweeters in one speaker. Here's a photo.

I'll figure out someway to make the wings non parallel from the inside.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2007, 05:42 pm »

$210 drivers in linearrays?  $140 B200s?  Wow.  These Sonic Craft 6-1/2" drivers...

...are VERY good sounding and quite inexpensive--as in $10 each--too, since J-Glo is clearing his inventory.

I've posted pics of mine many times in the past, but I guess those posts are too old now.

A 24-count carton of drivers will cost about $270 delivered to the US.  They do need low-pass filtering, at c. 2.5KHz.  I'll be converting to Aurum Cantus G2 ribbon tweeters, just one per channel, from these Daytons when I build the final baffles.

I'm using a dbx DriveRack PA digital speaker-management system... http://www.dbxpro.com/PA/ ...and triamping the system, with 2.5W channels of Music Reference EM7 SET amps...

...driving the 4 chunks of bass/MR and treble, with an Outlaw 770 on the woofers.  Crossovers are all 4th-order, 2.5KHz hi- and lo-pass and 60Hz lo-pass for woofers.

All who have heard my system love it.  More pics at http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/ .

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2007, 06:22 pm »
Yup, . those sonicraft 6.5" seem pretty good. I must , however, note

1. It's pretty much mandatory to use a low crossover point and a consequently a low Fs planar or dome with these to avoid the array combing roll-off . The cut-off frames help some but it's still something to consider.
2. They WILL need some help down low. I've seen the T/S parameters on these drivers and with the low Qts, bass augumentation is pretty much mandatory for these drivers in an open baffle setup. Not a bad thing, mind you, but something to note. OTOH, their well damped behaviour could have other audible benefits.

I very seriously considered these drivers for a while and decided against them, after factoring in the cost of the more expensive tweeters, lower crossover point (and the associated extra cost of crossover components - my crossover has to be passive, it's for a mixed HT/music application). That said, they would be my first choice for a pure music based array system (w/ active x-over, multi-amped, eq etc ..)