DAC-9

phusis

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #81 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:16 pm »
We will provide an URL for driver download (Windows), there is no driver on a Mac because Mac supports async. natively.

Installation is without solder work, but do need to open the case (instruction can be provided).

Just to be sure: for a non-techie like myself, do you believe it's "safe" to replace the new module on my own - even with instructions provided? I'd rather not take any risks, as I'm sure you can understand..

EDIT: a friend of mine, who owns the DAC-9 as well, and I might wait with ordering the new modules until the first production batches are through - prompted by the latest "childhood disease" of a nuForce product: both of us had to send our DAC-9's to our local dealer to have their displays replaced, in that they were highly unresponsive and virtually useless. Fortunately, the new ones settled it.

Moreover: when turning on the DAC-9 the volume control defaults to '50' instead of remembering the last setting, which is quite annoying when having to turn down (or otherwise change) the volume everytime the DAC-9 is switched on. The new displays didn't settle that. What's the incentive in defaulting to 50? I find remembering the last setting makes a lot more sense..

That said I have high praise for the DAC-9, which in every other regard runs absolutely stable and sounds wonderful.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 26 Jan 2012, 07:45 pm »
Just to be sure: for a non-techie like myself, do you believe it's "safe" to replace the new module on my own - even with instructions provided? I'd rather not take any risks, as I'm sure you can understand..

Moreover: when turning on the DAC-9 the volume control defaults to '50' instead of remembering the last setting, which is quite annoying when having to turn down (or otherwise change) the volume everytime the DAC-9 is switched on. The new displays didn't settle that. What's the incentive in defaulting to 50? I find remembering the last setting makes a lot more sense..

The module plugs onto a socket on the main circuit board, so I think it's just not likely to go wrong.

Regarding the volume setting, if the DAC9 is set as 'Fixed Output' the volume will always stick to "Fixed' when power down, but with the DAC9 set for variable output, it defaults to 50 whenever the power is lost.

We argue about features long and hard :scratch:, and decided to do this because of a big group of users with headphones, defaulting to the last 'saved' (yet conveniently forgotten) setting could start at a really high volume that may cause damages :duh:.  The other thing is just leave DAC9 powered up all the time.  It consumes so little power there is really no problem keep the DAC9 powered up all the time, if keeping the volume is required.

dr.sah

« Reply #83 on: 26 Jan 2012, 08:17 pm »
My dac is always on.

phusis

« Reply #84 on: 26 Jan 2012, 10:57 pm »
The module plugs onto a socket on the main circuit board, so I think it's just not likely to go wrong.

Regarding the volume setting, if the DAC9 is set as 'Fixed Output' the volume will always stick to "Fixed' when power down, but with the DAC9 set for variable output, it defaults to 50 whenever the power is lost.

We argue about features long and hard :scratch:, and decided to do this because of a big group of users with headphones, defaulting to the last 'saved' (yet conveniently forgotten) setting could start at a really high volume that may cause damages :duh:.  The other thing is just leave DAC9 powered up all the time.  It consumes so little power there is really no problem keep the DAC9 powered up all the time, if keeping the volume is required.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it seems I'll be able the install the new module after all. The question now remains when the new modules will be a safe bet, stability-wise.. ;)

With regard to the volume setting: isn't the headphone volume controlled exclusively by the "manual" knob on the lower right front of the DAC-9, or..? I would have believed the variable output(i.e.: the one indicated by the digits on the display) of the DAC-9 is by-passed once the headphone-knob is turned on, and thus would render the former irrelevant. I'm guessing I'm in the not-knowing here..

Indeed, it would make sense to leave my DAC-9 powered up permanently, but will this affect its lifespan in any way noticable? I'll keep powering down my Stereo 8.5V3 poweramp over nights though, even if the slight heat it produces is not likely to degrade its components(not least the capacitors) rapidly. However, leaving the poweramp turned on for extended periods of time, i.e. more than 24 hours, positively affects sound quality(I find), and so for that reason has been thought of as an option, but that's another discussion..
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2012, 08:42 pm by phusis »

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #85 on: 30 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm »

With regard to the volume setting: isn't the headphone volume controlled exclusively by the "manual" knob on the lower right front of the DAC-9, or..? I would have believed the variable output(i.e.: the one indicated by the digits on the display) of the DAC-9 is by-passed once the headphone-knob is turned on, and thus would render the former irrelevant. I'm guessing I'm in the not-knowing here..
Indeed the headphone output on the DAC9 has its independent volume control, we are talking in a more 'general sense', where the DAC9 may be part of a more elaborate system such as separate DAC + headphone amp setup.   
Indeed, it would make sense to leave my DAC-9 powered up permanently, but will this affect its lifespan in any way noticable? I'll keep powering down my Stereo 8.5V3 poweramp over nights though, even if the slight heat it produces is not likely to degrade its components(not least the capacitors) rapidly. However, leaving the poweramp turned on for extended periods of time, i.e. more than 24 hours, positively affects sound quality(I find), and so for that reason has been thought of as an option, but that's another discussion..
A simple way to look at this is with linear or digital circuit I would leave them on (such as preamp, DAC, CD player, PC, server)  With high-power device with higher idling current I would keep them off when not in used.  I would power off the preamp/DAC if I am going to be away for several weeks.

phusis

« Reply #86 on: 6 Feb 2012, 11:15 pm »
Indeed the headphone output on the DAC9 has its independent volume control, we are talking in a more 'general sense', where the DAC9 may be part of a more elaborate system such as separate DAC + headphone amp setup.

Oh yes, of course..   

A simple way to look at this is with linear or digital circuit I would leave them on (such as preamp, DAC, CD player, PC, server)  With high-power device with higher idling current I would keep them off when not in used.  I would power off the preamp/DAC if I am going to be away for several weeks.

Thanks for the advice!

rbbert

« Reply #87 on: 8 Mar 2012, 09:41 pm »
I wonder if NuForce can answer a couple of semi-technical questions about the DAC-9?  What DAC chips does it use; in some reviews and forums it has been said to use the ESS 9018 chips (2), in others the PCM 1798 chips (2)?  Since both of these are internally oversampling chips, how can the DAC-9 be described as non-oversampling (NOS)?  How does NuForce avoid using negative feedback in a design which utilizes a number of op-amps?

I hope that these questions can be answered without divulging any proprietary information.  Thanks!

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #88 on: 8 Mar 2012, 10:19 pm »
Hi,
You must be getting the info from non-Nuforce sources.  We can't control if someone posted the wrong info.

Our official product page is here:  http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/Dac-HPAmp/dac9/index.php

DAC9 uses a non-negative feedback filter mechanism and there is no sample-rate conversion involved.  Naturally, oversampling is done by the Delta-Sigma DAC chip and we can't do anything about that.

rbbert

« Reply #89 on: 8 Mar 2012, 10:43 pm »
But which DAC chip is it?  An English review states ESS 9018, purportedly using information from NuForce.  Someone on Audiogon who looked inside said the chips are labelled PCM 1798?

phusis

« Reply #90 on: 8 Mar 2012, 10:51 pm »
Burr Brown PCM1798.

[picture removed by poster]
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2012, 04:17 pm by phusis »

rbbert

« Reply #91 on: 8 Mar 2012, 11:03 pm »
As I thought...

Jpaul94

« Reply #92 on: 17 Apr 2012, 03:31 pm »
Hello All,

:D the updated dac appeared on the site with the new USB interface

Note: DAC-9 192K is the upgraded version of DAC-9, shipping April 9, 2012. The USB Audio has been upgraded to 192kHz/24bit sampling rate.

Now I look forward to the update kit, but already the current interface works very well and is very close to a SPDIF connection with an Apple Airport Express

regards
Jean-Paul

airkidd

« Reply #93 on: 7 Jun 2012, 08:57 am »
i am using dec 9 and upgraded from 96 to 192, but my mac (os 10.7.4) can't control the volume from audio midi, thus there are no sound from my system,  after installed asy usb audio the problem still can't be fix, would u please provide solution?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #94 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:01 pm »
i am using dec 9 and upgraded from 96 to 192, but my mac (os 10.7.4) can't control the volume from audio midi, thus there are no sound from my system,  after installed asy usb audio the problem still can't be fix, would u please provide solution?

Please contact support, I think we found the problem. Basically to re-install the driver.

ohlins

« Reply #95 on: 4 Jul 2012, 03:46 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone used an ipad with camera connection kit to drive a DAC 9 directly?

:)

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #96 on: 8 Jul 2012, 10:36 am »
Hi,

Has anyone used an ipad with camera connection kit to drive a DAC 9 directly?

:)

Oh please!  The $249 iDo is designed for that.

ohlins

« Reply #97 on: 8 Jul 2012, 01:40 pm »
Ah well I can confirm the iPad cannot drive a DAC 9 directly.... One needs powered usb hub to supply some juice...

But the iPad is a superb media server indeed.... No iTunes to mess things up, solid state memory and with home sharing I can access my entire music library ...

phusis

« Reply #98 on: 8 Jul 2012, 06:47 pm »
Is the new 192K asynchronous USB input module of the DAC-9 galvanically isolated?

Ern Dog

« Reply #99 on: 14 Jul 2012, 03:52 pm »
I had my first chance to listen to the Nuforce Dac-9 in my rig last weekend and was floored with how good it sounded.  I'm using a Modwright tube Oppo 83, Placette active preamp and a Pass Labs XA30.5 amp.  What grabbed me most was how the dac increased the resolution without sounding edgy or bright.  Plus I noticed the music sounded more 3D.  It is a very fast and lively dac for sure.

Thumbs up to the Nuforce team with this dac.