Some help, before I start my AV3, does this xover look ok?

Loftprojection

This is my first DIY project and I've never done any soldering of electronic parts.  So I decided to start with the AV1rs thinking that if it is not perfect it doesn't matter as much as with the AV3 front speakers.  

So I was wondering, could you take a quick look at my picture album, photo 5 and 6 show a close look at my xover.  I've tried to show how I soldered the wires, does this look ok, is the positioning ok, am I putting too much solder, not enough?  any suggestions welcomed...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=729

Another thing, on the tweaters, which side is the +, one has a small red dot on it, would that be the positive side?

Thanks for your help.

Danny Richie

« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2006, 09:54 pm »
What you have will work.

Recommendations for the others though... Trim the leads down shorter on the foil inductors. Then fold the lead into a "V" or "U" shape. Solder your wire into it and fold the leads over on it. Then slide the heat shrink down on it to seal the OFC wire.

I am not sure what wire you used but the wire that comes in the kit is a high purity Oxygen free Copper. It will be fine.

On the tweeters the terminal with the Red dot is positive. Be sure to get the polarity right on everything.

CornellAlum

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2006, 10:29 pm »
Pretty good for a first project.  Mine looked about the same until Danny came to the PM rescue :wink:

After the pointers, I trimmed everything down and shrinked, and I was in business.  I would also say to be sure everything around the foil inductors is tied down well or the foil leads will rip pretty easily (first hand knowledge here ).

Loftprojection

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2006, 11:33 pm »
Thanks Danny (and CornellAlum).  Ho, I better delete these photos, my xover really look amateur!  haha  I was afraid of cutting stuff...  I took good notes, I'll make sure my AV3 are better!

For the wire I have a friend who gave me some left over.  It's from Supra Cables called the Classic.  Do you think I should not use this one?  Here is what they write about it:

"The Classic series comprises highly flexible cables of tin plated multistranded OFC copper of purity degree 5N, which means >99.999% pure. The insulation of special ion stable PVC minimises corrosion of the sonically benign tin surface."

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2006, 12:57 am »
That wire will be fine on the A/V-1RS.

The 4N's, 5N's, 6N's thing is more marketing than anything. The jacketing can have a greater effect.

I have not tried any Tin coated Copper wire but that thought of it does not appeal to me. I'd stick with the OFC wire for the fronts.