S/PDIF output on BDP-3

Don_S

S/PDIF output on BDP-3
« on: 19 Dec 2019, 06:57 pm »
I am confused by the lack of an RCA output on the BDP-3. That does not match up with the input options on the Bryston DACs. Am I missing something?  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: S/PDIF output on BDP-3
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2019, 07:06 pm »
I am confused by the lack of an RCA output on the BDP-3. That does not match up with the input options on the Bryston DACs. Am I missing something?  :scratch:

Hi Don

The SPDIF output is on the rear of the BDP-3 in the middle - see pic.

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2019, 07:59 pm »
James,

That looks like a BNC to me.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2019, 08:53 pm »
James,

That looks like a BNC to me.

Hi Don

Yes it is an SPDIF BNC as we recommend that over the RCA but the BDP-3 can be ordered with the RCA SPDIF if you wish.

james

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2019, 09:12 pm »
Hi Don

Yes it is an SPDIF BNC as we recommend that over the RCA but the BDP-3 can be ordered with the RCA SPDIF if you wish.

james

Thank you.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2019, 06:27 pm »
You can also use a BNC to RCA coaxial S/PDIF cable, or an adapter. In case you ever do get a DAC that accepts BNC S/PDIF.

R. Daneel

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2020, 11:37 am »
Hi Don

james

Hi James!

No it can't. A few years ago I posted the same question and got a reply from the engineer who designed the circuit. He had to check his schematics to see if there was such a possibility and unfortunately there wasn't. So, only BNC can be had.

Cheers!
Antun

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2020, 07:39 pm »
Hi James!

No it can't. A few years ago I posted the same question and got a reply from the engineer who designed the circuit. He had to check his schematics to see if there was such a possibility and unfortunately there wasn't. So, only BNC can be had.

Cheers!
Antun

Thanks, Antun. Good to know. Always a stickler for detail and accuracy!  :thumb:

Why would anyone want to use an RCA rather than a BNC, on a BDP digi out?   :scratch:

cheers

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2020, 07:47 pm »
Comparison of AES3 and S/PDIF

AES3 bal            AES3 unbal          S/PDIF
Cabling:       110 Ω STP                    75 Ω coaxial             75 Ω coax, optical fibre
Connector:     3-pin XLR                         BNC                        RCA or TOSLINK

Note that "SPDIF BNC" does not exist. BNC does 1.2V output, RCA 0.5-0.6V output.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

ebelgee

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2020, 03:36 pm »

Hey Don,
I use a BNC->RCA adapter and it works well. Only a couple bucks online or local computer store.
I will say most of my critical listening I'm using the AES out.

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2020, 01:32 pm »
Thanks, Antun. Good to know. Always a stickler for detail and accuracy!  :thumb:

Why would anyone want to use an RCA rather than a BNC, on a BDP digi out?   :scratch:

cheers

Hi mate!

Well, RCA is far more common than BNC for one. In fact, my BDA-2 DAC is equipped with 4 RCA inputs as a part of Bryston's "special order" program. It Works better for my needs.

All electrical inputs on this DAC are transformer-coupled to minimize variances in impedance.

My solution to the BDP BNC problem would be to buy a coaxial cable with a BNC connector on one end and an RCA on the other. BNC-RCA ataptors are typically of poor quality and can change the impedance which in a way nullifies the advantage of using a BDP as the source, since BDP's outputs are also transformer-coupled.

That being said, differences in audio quality of one over the other are a subject for an academic discussion.

Cheers!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2020, 03:17 pm »
Hi mate!

My solution to the BDP BNC problem would be to buy a coaxial cable with a BNC connector on one end and an RCA on the other. BNC-RCA ataptors are typically of poor quality and can change the impedance which in a way nullifies the advantage of using a BDP as the source, since BDP's outputs are also transformer-coupled.

Cheers!

Yup. BNC-RCA. Just sold a Cardas Parsec combo to a fellow out east. Good cable, cost less than a Bryston coax.