Loving the new BDP-3!

Xinon

Re: Loving the new BDP-3!
« Reply #40 on: 3 Jul 2018, 08:27 pm »
The problem with comparing mpd “offline” vs roon is your not necessarily isolating the network as the culprit as you have also changed which piece of software is rendering the audio.  Do local files play fine through roon and is it just tracks from TIDAL or is it both local files and tracks from TIDAL?  Can you use MPD to play files from a NAS or TIDAL (the beta/test build should have a TIDAL option in Media Player)?

Chris

Sold it and the Bda3.
Using Lumin D1 witch never had a single problem.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #41 on: 18 Jul 2018, 01:59 am »
Does the BDP 3 beat the Pi sonically or do they sound the same?

Having had both the BDP3 has the edge. 

schmidtmike76

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jul 2018, 09:21 pm »
Thanks Matt

gbaby

« Reply #43 on: 30 Aug 2018, 11:54 pm »
I just sent my BDP-2 off to be upgraded to the BDP-3, so I'll be joining you soon.  8)

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #44 on: 5 Sep 2018, 02:57 am »
I'll bet this came up but I can't find it.

For connecting the BDP-3 to the BDA-3, whats the recommended connection? USB? S/PDIF? or AES/EBU?

And, what (if any) sonic differences are there?

Grant Hill

« Reply #45 on: 5 Sep 2018, 09:57 am »
I'll bet this came up but I can't find it.

For connecting the BDP-3 to the BDA-3, whats the recommended connection? USB? S/PDIF? or AES/EBU?

And, what (if any) sonic differences are there?

Hello,

I don't have the BDP3 but I think that Bryston says USB is the preferred one. it is the only input capable to play DSD and DXD, so it makes sense to use that way

BDA3 USB input is very good.

enjoy this great combo!

TJ-Sully

« Reply #46 on: 5 Sep 2018, 02:59 pm »
I'll bet this came up but I can't find it. For connecting the BDP-3 to the BDA-3, whats the recommended connection? USB? S/PDIF? or AES/EBU? And, what (if any) sonic differences are there?

Hi Grit, I'm not an audio engineer by any means - and I am a few Bryston models behind you (BDP1>>BDA2) but my hunch is AES/EBU connections win. Especially if cable length is greater than say...50cm. 

I say this because of the inherent benefits of balanced cables...that is...elimination of electromagnetic interference (EMI), reduced distortion, common mode rejection,  a signal ground + a separate ground on the shell of the cable, and better shielding properties.

In terms of sonic difference, I would suggest the noise elimination of balanced cables lead to a signal that is cleaner and with better grounding - and, in my mind,  results in better sound!

I'm using Bryston's digital balanced cable to my BDA2 - it's available on their website under the "Store" for tab for $120.

Hope this helps.

TJ

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #47 on: 5 Sep 2018, 05:40 pm »
Hello,

I don't have the BDP3 but I think that Bryston says USB is the preferred one. it is the only input capable to play DSD and DXD, so it makes sense to use that way

BDA3 USB input is very good.

enjoy this great combo!

I think the preference with the BDA2 was AES/EBU. I'm just wondering if the USB is preferred because it has more compatibility, or if it also sounds as good/better than S/PDIF or AES/EBU. I'm guessing it does, and its probably more about how the DAC handles the input than how the player outputs it. But I love to get input from others. (It's kind of a pain for me to switch cables, since everything is in a heavy cabinet against a wall).

zoom25

« Reply #48 on: 5 Sep 2018, 06:16 pm »
For BDP-1 and BDP-2 feeding BDA-1 and BDA-2 in any order, AES has typically been preferred by users. James has also preferred AES with those combinations. With the BDP-3 and BDA-3 combination, James seems to now prefer USB over AES. I think he found it better focused and locked in when I asked him. I am not sure if USB will still be preferred on either the BDP-3 or BDA-3 if used without each other.

Here are some reviews that offer comparisons:

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/bryston-bdp-3-digital-media-player/

https://www.alpha-audio.nl/2018/03/review-bryston-bdp-3-digital-player/7/ (Needs language conversion - use Chrome or google translate)

On my BDP-1 feeding my current DAC, I have preferred AES over (third place) and SPDIF (second place). I've even used the USB with and without Jitterbug.

Between SPDIF and AES, there is a slight difference in presentation that doesn't quite go away. I even controlled for length and wire material (brand) in this comparison. For AES I have 2 feet of Grimm TPR, 10 and 18 feet of Mogami 3173. For SPDIF, I have 2 feet, 6 feet, and 10 feet of Mogami 2964. So I have exact lengths at 2 feet and 10 feet for SPDIF and AES. Cable length can also make a difference in sound.

In direct comparison, I find the SPDIF more upfront, perhaps faster, and exciting sound with more sparkle in the treble. The AES on the other hand sounds more relaxed, slower but in a good way, and meatier in the bass. It's hard to put it into words. In fast switching, you may end up preferring SPDIF as it can come across more detailed. However, I do seem to like AES for long term listening where I forget about tweaking and the equipment.

I am not sure why this difference exists. I asked my DAC company and they weren't sure of why such differences may arise at such short distances. I know James has said that DACs seem to prefer the higher 4V voltage of the AES over the 0.5V of the SPDIF, and that AES naturally offers common-mode noise rejection. Still, I'd be curious to see measurements on how the AES and SPDIF actually measure in comparison to each other and what (if any) differences come out from the analog output of the DAC.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #49 on: 6 Sep 2018, 12:25 pm »
Short answer:
For PCM, use whatever sounds best in your system.
For DSD: no choice but USB.

No individual is a final authority on what's "best". Do whatever sounds good in your system.

cheers

gbaby

« Reply #50 on: 14 Oct 2018, 08:40 pm »
My BDP-2 has returned as a BDP-3. When I compare its sound as a BDP-3, I find it an appreciable sonic improvement over the BDP-2. Specifically, I found the BDP-3 gave musical notes more depth and extension and amplified subtle sounds that were somewhat muted in past listening to almost all songs. In addition the BDP-3 seem to flatten out my bass response making it more linear, extended and deeper without boom. Its like free equalization for me.  :) I appreciate my transducers as they easily picked up the sonic improvements of the BDP-3. The USB output on the BDP-3 really sounds improved and at times exhibited a sound that was almost sweet for lack of a better choice of words. I am still listening to different compositions for a complete assessment of this unit, but for now its an A+. I do believe that the only way to make the BDP-3 play its maximum build potential is to use its built in Manic Moose using music on USB drives, preferably your own imported music on USB drives. See below:

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/bryston-bdp-3-digital-media-player/

TJ-Sully

« Reply #51 on: 14 Oct 2018, 11:44 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #52 on: 15 Oct 2018, 11:57 am »

gbaby

« Reply #53 on: 15 Oct 2018, 02:13 pm »

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #54 on: 5 Dec 2018, 09:05 am »
James or anyone who knows it:

is it possible to upgrade the RAM or the processor of the BDP-3??

in other words: can Bryston update the BDP-3's hardwear in any way or would it be necessary to design a BDP-4?

al.

« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2018, 07:44 pm by alexone »

gbaby

« Reply #55 on: 6 Dec 2018, 03:52 am »
James or anyone who knows it:

is it possible to upgrade the RAM or the processor of the BDP-3??

in other words: can Bryston update the BDP-3's hardwear in any way or would it be necessary to design a BDP-4?

al.

Why are you asking a question such as this? Are you dissatisfied with the current codec specs? :o

alexone

« Reply #56 on: 6 Dec 2018, 11:48 am »
gbaby,

i'm not asking because i find that the technical specs are not enough. i just wanted to know if the BDP-3 can get an upgrade if Bryston wants to have a ''better'' processor or more RAM or whatever to probably improve the BDP's performance.

for example: the BDP-2 is upgradeable to a BDP-3 if the customer wants it...

al.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2018, 04:50 pm by alexone »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #57 on: 6 Dec 2018, 02:58 pm »
gbaby,

i'm not asking because i find that the technical specs are not enough. i just wanted to know if the BDP-3 can get an upgrade if Bryston wants to have a ''better'' processor or more RAM or whatever to probably improve the BDP's power.

for example: the BDP-2 is upgradeable to a BDP-3 if the customer wants it...

al.

The last ten years or so we've seen a steady decrease in power consumption and a steady increase in performance from chip manufacturers like Intel and AMD, this is one of the main reasons we could offer the BDP-2 upgrades to BDP-3's as the new system board had more process power for a similar amount of power consumption and produced far less heat (BDP-3's run about 10C cooler then BDP-2's).  The other main factor was how similar a BDP-2 and 3, they both share many same parts and as many of the BDP-3 parts were designed to be backwards compatible to the BDP-2 so we could continue to service the BDP-2 longer.  These two factors lead to the upgrade kit for BDP-2 owners, so with that said I won't say the BDP-3's will be upgrade-able to BDP-4's (primarily because nothing outside of my imagination exists for it yet), but if we see a path that makes its possible and viable then we most certainly will.

Also I'm a bit surprised you think the BDP-3 isn't powerful enough?

Chris

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #58 on: 6 Dec 2018, 05:01 pm »
Also I'm a bit surprised you think the BDP-3 isn't powerful enough?

Chris

+1 on Chris.
My -2 has more than enough "juice" to power two USB drives (each 2-TB) and then some. Can't imagine what the -3 would bring that's worth the extra $$ as a hardware upgrade from the -2.

cheers

alexone

« Reply #59 on: 6 Dec 2018, 06:07 pm »
Chris,

thanks for your answer. and i agree with you that the BDP-3 is certainly powerful enough :thumb:. no doubt about it.
i was just asking just in case IF the need arises to do an upgrade to the BDP-3 what would be Bryston's decision then ?!

all i need to know is in your answer above :wink:

the BDP-1 was first released in 2010 or 2011 i think. now it's 2018 and the BDP-3 is there. i would say that the BDP has gotten the quickest upgrades compared to other Bryston products...

al.