Curt...I had a bit of a problem today...

gonefishin

« on: 6 Feb 2004, 01:32 am »
One of my LeAmp monos got fried today  :(

I sent you an e-mail thru the custserv e-mail addy on your site.

I need music! :(

Thanks,

Dan

tkp

Re: Curt...I had a bit of a problem today...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2004, 02:26 am »
Quote from: gonefishin
One of my LeAmp monos got fried today  :(

I sent you an e-mail thru the custserv e-mail addy on your site.

I need music! :(

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Just out of curiousity, how did this happen?

gonefishin

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2004, 04:09 am »
Oh...it was all my fault:!:

You know how you should always turn your tube preamp on...and let it settle for a bit before turning the amps on.  Well...I normally follow this procedure myself.  BUT, my two amps (for my woofers) sit behind the audio rack.  They're normally in the off position...so I got my little "routine" for turning the system on.  Well, this time...this time the amps were already on.  Once I flipped the switch on the preamp...I heard  some individual buzzing as before the heater stabalized...and some tube rush.  At this point...I was reaching for the power switches.  But I didn't reach it in time...I had the faint smell of smoke in the air  :(

Lesson learned the hard way...never assume anything is off.

worst of all...I got no music!  Ahhh well...

...what's that Forest Gump saying?  Hmmm...the one about stupid is or something ;)

:roll:

take care>>>>>>>>>>

F-100

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2004, 04:36 am »
GoneFishin,

Sorry to hear your mishap. Wow!!! Guess I've been lucky then...  I've been using this procedure with my Kora Equinoxe and Odyssey Stratos amp for a while now and my amp didn't go up in smoke.  

Thanks for sharing this info

pjchappy

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2004, 04:52 am »
A bad tube fried one of my MB100s awhile back. . .

There was a buzzing, then pop, then small blue flame, then smoke. . .

Turns out, I fried the IC. . .however, customer service was great and I got my unit back as good as new in no time.  I sent both of them--1 for repair and 1 to check to spec.

p

Curt

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2004, 09:58 am »
Got your email Dan, sorry to hear you blew your output stage. Don't worry we can fix it good as new for just a few bucks, no big deal.

I will reply with the information you need to get your amp repaired today.

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2004, 12:22 pm »
Hi Dan.  Sorry to hear the bad news.  If it makes you feel any better I burnt up a tweeter the other day changing out some cables.  I thought everything was off too but then bzzzzmzmzzmzmm.
 :x

gonefishin

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2004, 07:29 pm »
Got it...thanks Curt!

Maxcast...heck no that don't make me feel better.  I would have rather you called me a dang moron!  Then go on about how your stereo is performing flawlessly.

Well...at least I'm not in poor company ;)

Mathew_M

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2004, 08:59 pm »
I blew my Le Amp AGAIN a while back and haven't gotten around to getting it fixed.  First time is was during a lightening storm this last time was because of a bad tube in my pre I believe.

I guess I'll be sending them off again....when I get around to it.

gonefishin

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2004, 09:08 pm »
Curt, I got the repaired amps hooked up today.  I've been trying to burn them in pushing them medium playing...just like you said.  Well, I couldn't push them hard.  I turned the music up until it was hitting 108db peaks.  So, I guess pushing them medium will have to do ;)  

I've had them up there for about 7 hours now :D

Glad ta have'em back!

thanks so much for the great service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+1more!

ps...I've been in the basement cleaning ;)

Curt

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2004, 03:05 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin
Curt, I got the repaired amps hooked up today.  I've been trying to burn them in pushing them medium playing...just like you said.  Well, I couldn't push them hard.  I turned the music up until it was hitting 108db peaks.  So, I guess pushing them medium will have to do ;)  

I've had them up there for about 7 hours now :D

Glad ta have'em back!

thanks so much for the great service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+1more!

ps...I've been in the basement cleaning ;)

See I told you we would get you back up quickly. Happy to hear everything is back to normal. That is if 108dB for seven hours straight is normal :o . But, I think we all enjoy days like that from time-to-time :D

Now that you have the DC Mods, can you hear any difference? Using the MB-100s for bass it should be tighter, better defined, with slightly more detail, all-in-all a bit more immediate and real sounding.

So, don't worry in the future, not only do the MB-100s sound great but they are easy and inexpensive to fix. IRD will support them (original and used owners) well into the future.

So, what's next? How about cleaning the attic   :lol:

Enjoy.

gonefishin

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2004, 06:52 pm »
:lol:

thanks again.

I certainly wouldn't have had the volume up that high if I were in the same room...it sounded pretty darn good while working in the basement tho.

Now that you have the DC Mods, can you hear any difference? Using the MB-100s for bass it should be tighter, better defined, with slightly more detail, all-in-all a bit more immediate and real sounding.

You know...when I first hooked them up...for a good while after that.  The sound coming from the top of the woofers (maybe 700-900Hz) just seemed to crackle and distort for a bit.  Not bad...but just as the top registers that the woofers/bass amp could reproduce were distorted.  After a couple hours (not sure of exact number) this effect was totally gone.
   How does it sound now?  The system sounds better than ever...and it sounded darn good before ;)

thank ya :)