27 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: 19 Jul 2005, 01:49 am

Porterhouse or Tenderloin?

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #60 on: 19 Aug 2005, 03:36 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Sorry I went off topic just a little.  I still like tenderloin because I can do more with it in terms of presentaion on a fancier dinner with sauces and what not.  What the heck can you do with Porterhouse steak besides putting it on plate with potato and garnish?

A better question would be why do you need to do anything else with it? The main reason why steak is so popular is because of how it tastes without the need for a whole bunch of enhancement. It's when people try to do too much to steak that it loses its appeal and most of its flavor.

Now going off topic again,  I had a tough time finding tri tip roast for this weekend.  A lot of butchers don't carry it because they have to order it by 40 to 50 lb box and only a few sell.

Tri-tip is big out west, it's a favorite for indirect grilling. Grocery store delis sell pre-cooked tri-tip (should usually be avoided!) and quite a few resturants have tri-tip sandwiches on their lunch menus. Even a lot golf courses have them, much better than a hotdog at the turn! :D

powerbench

Tri-Tip
« Reply #61 on: 19 Aug 2005, 05:27 pm »
Sounds like what we call a sirloin tip up here ,basically a  triangular shaped chunk of meat seperated from between the beefloin and hip.

BobM

« Reply #62 on: 19 Aug 2005, 05:34 pm »
Quote from: Dan Driscoll
Even a lot golf courses have them, much better than a hotdog at the turn! :D

Tube steak ... that gets my vote for sure! :stupid:

Enjoy,
Bob

powerbench

I know some women ....
« Reply #63 on: 19 Aug 2005, 05:39 pm »
...some women are big fans of tube steak,maybe we should poll  them??? 8)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Tri-Tip
« Reply #64 on: 19 Aug 2005, 05:49 pm »
Quote from: powerbench
Sounds like what we call a sirloin tip up here ,basically a  triangular shaped chunk of meat seperated from between the beefloin and hip.

Bingo!  What is your opinion of this cut?  I found it to have more meaty (even slightly gamy) flavor while having the same texture as tenderloin.

bubba966

« Reply #65 on: 20 Oct 2005, 04:12 am »
Ok, so I was looking for someplace to order frozen steaks as my roommate is running low on his frozen steak stockpile and he's looking to buy more.

And during the process I came across this http://www.lobels.com/store/main/item.asp?item=124 :o

From what most of you guys are saying it probably doesn't get any better than that. And for that price it damn well better be the best!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #66 on: 20 Oct 2005, 01:12 pm »
Wagyu is short for Wag your finger no-no! :mrgreen: Wegmans sell Virginia Kobe wet sealed in plastic for about $24 per pound for fillet.  You can open it, let it dry for a day in your fridge meat section before using it.  It may not be 21 days of dry aging but tastes pretty good for a lot less. :wink: FYI, I did an AB test between the above mentioned fillet vs. a 21 day aged USDA prime grade fillet and prefered the Kobe fillet.  I made sure the cuts were even in thickness and weight, cooked the same way at the same time, tasted by the same mouth (me) with the pallet being rinsed by same wine between tastings. :mrgreen: IMHO, I think dry aging is overrated.  Now if you bring some dry aged Wagyu we can do a blind tasting.............

jermmd

« Reply #67 on: 20 Oct 2005, 01:33 pm »
I thought a porterhouse is basically a NY Strip and a Filet Mignon still attached to the bone. I like them all but the best Steak I ever had was a NY Strip.

jermmd

« Reply #68 on: 20 Oct 2005, 01:35 pm »
Gee, I thought I was on page 2 of this thread! Now I have to go back and see what's been said already.

gonefishin

« Reply #69 on: 20 Oct 2005, 03:04 pm »
Wow...while still not the original Kobe, Japan prime cuts of massaged, beer fed, couch bed cows...the American Kobe is still very impressive.  That's a  darn good price for KObe prime too...what do you pay for regular prime there?

got any pictures of the Kobe?

happy eating

dan

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Meat...
« Reply #70 on: 20 Oct 2005, 10:29 pm »
Quote from: powerbench
I have worked as a butcher for  approx 15 yrs so my take is it depends what your using the meat for ,and how your prepping it.
 Beef tenderloin like ribeye are more of the tender cuts but cooked wronged would be a waste...Steaks with the bone and slightly more fat content ie rib steaks ,t-bones (are the same as porterhouse) are more adept to general BBQing do more fat/water content to protect from overcooking...

So Porterhouse is just a T-bone with a big tenderloin side...