Bryston SP4

Grit

• - Garrett
Bryston SP4 vs SP3 + BDA-3
« Reply #440 on: 13 Mar 2020, 05:47 am »
Has someone listened to the SP4 as a 2-ch audio DAC + preamp that can comment on it vs a Bryston SP3 in analog bypass with BDA-3 or similar? I've always ASSUMED (yeah, I know), that no HT processor could match a good separate DAC + preamp or 2-ch bypass in the SP3.  But if the SP4 sounded as good in 2ch as the SP3 + BDA-3... :)

I'm guessing "no" though?

I REALLY wish I could upgrade the SP3's built-in DACs to sound like the BDA-2 or BDA-3.

witchdoctor

Re: Bryston SP4
« Reply #441 on: 13 Mar 2020, 02:42 pm »
Grit, do you have a local dealer where you can audition both components?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #442 on: 15 Mar 2020, 04:36 pm »
Nope. All the local dealers closed their doors in the last few years. And I live in a larger city!

gbaby

« Reply #443 on: 16 Mar 2020, 04:37 pm »
Nope. All the local dealers closed their doors in the last few years. And I live in a larger city!

Witchdoctor looks at the SP models like they are entry level Marantz, Pioneer, and Kenwood receivers wherein every model is in stock in Best Buy or Circuit City. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a clue.

Calypte

« Reply #444 on: 16 Mar 2020, 05:56 pm »
Witchdoctor looks at the SP models like they are entry level Marantz, Pioneer, and Kenwood receivers wherein every model is in stock in Best Buy or Circuit City. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a clue.

Circuit City?

gbaby

« Reply #445 on: 16 Mar 2020, 07:47 pm »
Circuit City?

I don't know your age, but Circuit City was a huge electronics retailer in the late '70s, 80s and 90s, selling receivers, turntables, cables, CDs, DVDs and other media and electronics products. All their retail stores are now closed. I think Best Buy may have run the out of business. In any event, it was nothing for Circuit City to have every model of a mid fi receiver, and the more you paid, the more watts and features you had.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #446 on: 16 Mar 2020, 09:32 pm »
I don't know your age, but Circuit City was a huge electronics retailer in the late '70s, 80s and 90s, selling receivers, turntables, cables, CDs, DVDs and other media and electronics products. All their retail stores are now closed. I think Best Buy may have run the out of business. In any event, it was nothing for Circuit City to have every model of a mid fi receiver, and the more you paid, the more watts and features you had.

https://www.circuitcity.com/

gbaby

« Reply #447 on: 17 Mar 2020, 01:00 am »
https://www.circuitcity.com/

I forgot to mention, back then, Circuit City was brick and mortar. :oops:

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #448 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:56 pm »
DOW dow, NOW now!
The Good Guys

Now we (in the US) just have Best Buy (Fry's is more empty than a grocery store today).

Calypte

« Reply #449 on: 17 Mar 2020, 05:08 pm »

I'm 75.  I knew Circuit City.  The post seemed to suggest that Circuit City is still around.  I was having fun with it. 

Looking at some of the other posts, at least one seems to be from a Californian.  In so. Calif. we once had a choice of mid-fi retailers.  Going back to the '80s in San Diego, we had Dow, Mad Jack's, Leo's, Federated Group, Silo, Pacific Stereo, and Good Guys.  A little further back was Wright's House of Hi-Fi.  Not all at the same time, but when one chain died, another would rise in its place.  I may have forgotten one or two.  There were quite a few hi-end retailers, too.  The mid-fi -- except for Best Buy -- are extinct.  My favorite hi-end store in S.D. closed (owner retired), and I think they're down to one or two (Breier's and Stereo Unlimited).  In L.A. -- huge as it is -- the only one I know is Shelley's.  I know them, because they service Linn turntables.  Almost all of my purchases of new gear in recent years has been online retailers and direct from the factory/importer (Hsu Research).

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #450 on: 17 Mar 2020, 09:10 pm »
San Diego here!

Until a few years ago, we had Stereo Design. Years ago, we also had Sound Company. (both hi-fi).

I'm gonna open a new thread, because it'll be fun to name all the places we used to go to buy records, cassette tapes, and eventually, CDs!

gbaby

« Reply #451 on: 17 Mar 2020, 11:10 pm »
I'm 75.  I knew Circuit City.  The post seemed to suggest that Circuit City is still around.  I was having fun with it. 

Looking at some of the other posts, at least one seems to be from a Californian.  In so. Calif. we once had a choice of mid-fi retailers.  Going back to the '80s in San Diego, we had Dow, Mad Jack's, Leo's, Federated Group, Silo, Pacific Stereo, and Good Guys.  A little further back was Wright's House of Hi-Fi.  Not all at the same time, but when one chain died, another would rise in its place.  I may have forgotten one or two.  There were quite a few hi-end retailers, too.  The mid-fi -- except for Best Buy -- are extinct.  My favorite hi-end store in S.D. closed (owner retired), and I think they're down to one or two (Breier's and Stereo Unlimited).  In L.A. -- huge as it is -- the only one I know is Shelley's.  I know them, because they service Linn turntables.  Almost all of my purchases of new gear in recent years has been online retailers and direct from the factory/importer (Hsu Research).

Actually, I am from the east coast of North Carolina, New Bern. I lived in Durham, NC while in college in th mid '70s and we had a mid fi retailer called Best Products where I was employed in the audio department. We also had Circuit City. I left Best Products to work with Vicker's Audio selling really high end equipment. Circuit City caused us to go out of business. :cry: I am 65 and I believe after us, the days of audio will be gone for sure as new music doesn't require fidelity as there are few instruments being played in contemporary music.  :cry:

witchdoctor

« Reply #452 on: 18 Mar 2020, 10:07 pm »
Actually, I am from the east coast of North Carolina, New Bern. I lived in Durham, NC while in college in th mid '70s and we had a mid fi retailer called Best Products where I was employed in the audio department. We also had Circuit City. I left Best Products to work with Vicker's Audio selling really high end equipment. Circuit City caused us to go out of business. :cry: I am 65 and I believe after us, the days of audio will be gone for sure as new music doesn't require fidelity as there are few instruments being played in contemporary music.  :cry:

That's where you bought your speakers right? 1970 at Best Products? Did you ever think that the reason contemporary music sounds bad to you isn't the musicians fault, it's your speakers? The 1970's called, they want their speakers back  :duh:

Hey Gbaby, the next time you shop for stereo equipment I got JUST the place for you, check it out:

https://youtu.be/Ml6S2yiuSWE 

gbaby

« Reply #453 on: 19 Mar 2020, 12:40 am »
That's where you bought your speakers right? 1970 at Best Products? Did you ever think that the reason contemporary music sounds bad to you isn't the musicians fault, it's your speakers? The 1970's called, they want their speakers back  :duh:

Hey Gbaby, the next time you shop for stereo equipment I got JUST the place for you, check it out:

https://youtu.be/Ml6S2yiuSWE

Is this autism or retardation? :roll: :lol:

witchdoctor

« Reply #454 on: 19 Mar 2020, 02:58 am »
Is this autism or retardation? :roll: :lol:

Gbaby you have a SEVERE case of jealousy for the sublime and supreme experience of IMMERSIVE audio, You troll the thread of a product that is designed for something you don't like, will never use, and secretly lust after, the SP4. :green:
Go back to Crazy Eddie's or wherever you used to work, good luck with that.

Rod_S

« Reply #455 on: 14 Apr 2020, 12:14 am »
Just thought I would check to see if Bryston has finally made a decision as to the product support path for the SP4 and if so what does that entail? Will it include all firmware and hardware updates that come to the main Storm units? If so what is the anticipated delay between Storm units getting the updates and the SP4 getting the updates? Days, weeks, months? If the SP4 will not be following the Storm parent path what exactly are the deviations and please explain why and how those product path gaps will be addressed? For a $20k+ investment these are things which there can be absolutely no grey area and I'm very surprised the product is currently being sold when there was no concrete answers to these questions a few months ago.

drummermitchell

« Reply #456 on: 15 Apr 2020, 12:29 am »
I’m waiting also................................

witchdoctor

« Reply #457 on: 16 Apr 2020, 01:30 pm »
StormAudio just released firmware 4.0 update to support Dirac's new bass management add on:

https://twitter.com/StormAudioFR/status/1250773677861490689?s=20

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #458 on: 16 Apr 2020, 01:41 pm »
Hi Folks

Gary Dayton is our resident expert on all things SP4 and he will be the best person to answer going forward.

I know there are things in the works.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #459 on: 16 Apr 2020, 01:56 pm »
Will Gary be able to soon stop by and answer the outstanding questions?

I had a number and with Witchdoctor pointing out Storm's latest release which I can only assume applies to their new MK2 platforms with new HDMI eARC boards. It remains to be seen if Bryston will follow the development path, if not they would be pre-MK2 thus anything discussed from Storm as to additions and updates from now on would be irrelevant to the SP4 as it's already been left behind with the MK1 hardware, OS and HDMI board.