TONEAudio issue 38 ready for download

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: TONEAudio issue 38 ready for download
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jul 2011, 12:05 am »
I had a Hafler DH-101 and a NAD 3020.  Thanks for the blast from the past.

And thanks bunches for an affordable issue.

TONEPUB

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jul 2011, 12:27 am »
The issue was a lot of fun.  Even though we have a budget and vintage column every month, it was nice to really focus on a good starting point.  No matter where you are on your audio journey, you started somewhere and I hope we came up with a few things that offered solid sound and value.

As cool as the megabucks stuff is, it's reassuring to see how much gear can be had for a modest investment.

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jul 2011, 08:18 am »
$1800 per component as a "starting point"?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 4 Jul 2011, 03:02 pm »
After 40 years into stereo/audio, my journey is still in the $1800 and below per piece territory.   :oops:

I don't make $$$ but even if I did, I just wasn't raised to spend "too" much on toys.  So I've invested about $5 into a system with a current MRSP of $8k, which I'm very happy with (but have never stop being an "audio hunter").

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jul 2011, 04:20 pm »
I had a Hafler DH-101 and a NAD 3020.  Thanks for the blast from the past.

And thanks bunches for an affordable issue.
Me, too.  And a Van Alstine (Dyna) power and pre.  Used the NAD to supply music to my office lobby with a Sansui tuner and some Roger's LS3/7a's.  My, my, how component prices have risen.  Drove my speakers at home with some Kenwood monoblock L07 amp's that I believe cost around $300.00 each new but that was the late 70's.  Still, there are some excellent values today if a person will search.     

TONEPUB

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jul 2011, 05:21 pm »
$1800 per component as a "starting point"?

No, $1800 was the max point.  It was initially going to be $1500, but the Vienna Acoustics were really outstanding and Klipsch raised the price of the Heresy III's from $1500 to $1600 by the time we finished the review.  If you read the issue, we had quite a few things in the $300-$1000 range.

And still, a pair of $1800 speakers with a $1000 amp (like the Brio R), a decent $500 dac and your laptop would make a very nice system for about $3000.  In todays world of $3000 power cables, I don't think that kind of money is crazy for a hifi system.  And again, if you went used or vintage, you could either get twice as much system for that, or get a very nice used/vintage system for about $1500.

nunhgrader

« Reply #26 on: 6 Jul 2011, 02:17 pm »
I cannot believe no one has brought up the Ken Kessler (who I dig) newsletter comment by Jeff (who I also dig) and Bob Gendron's (who I also dig - do you see a pattern?) article " The Music Never Stopped " which I agree with.

The Boy's Club is now accepting new members (girls as well please).

I couldn't tell you the last time I was sitting around wishing for a new piece of music - I have so much to listen to it hurts with the wonderful podcast available from RA: Resident Advisor, XLR8R, FACT magazine, and The Fader to name a few. Tons of free tracks from emusic - as well as my monthly $20 of tracks I buy from emusic. I listen to so many internet radio stations your head would spin (French Kiss, Intergalactic FM, The Eagle, tons of EBM stations, Chronixx, check out Shoutcast for the many thousands of examples). I also own a couple of thousand albums (cd form), a hand full of SACD's and probably a couple of gigs worth of emusic tracks.

TONEPUB

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jul 2011, 02:27 pm »
I'm not sure what point you're making.  I've known Ken for a long time and he contributes to TONE occasionally.  He's a bit torqued at me right now for saying his article was lame, but I do feel that those of us in the media should be trying to point out possible solutions to making high end audio more accessible, rather than just pointing a finger at one particular entity.

There have always been problematic dealers, but they are not the sole reason that the industry is where it is right now, there are about a dozen factors.  The companies and dealers that have embraced the 21'st century are doing well.  That's why we've taken as much time as we have to try and promote good dealers and do so many factory visits.  We will do more going forward.

As my friend and former editor Ben Fong-Torres pointed out, "If you aren't making someone mad, then you aren't doing your job."

We'd love to have girls in the club. Most of the women I know enjoy music as much as I do.

nunhgrader

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jul 2011, 02:46 pm »
I was bringing attention to the article and agreeing with your and Mr. Gendron's points. I was also making light of the fact that no one (to my knowledge) had mentioned the difference of opinion Ken's article and your letter provided us.

I read alot of audiophile reviews and I occasionally feel like the press is missing a grand opportunity to turn more people towards music and higher fidelity with the Boy's Club membership (snob appeal, condemning anything consumned by the masses, elitism). So, I was glad to see some of these points addressed. I think the hobby needs to lighten up at times and not feel so heavy handed.

TONEPUB

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jul 2011, 03:51 pm »
Thanks for the clarification!  I couldn't agree with you more.  One of the biggest problems I feel the audio press needs to overcome is that we are all getting old. I'm 52 and I'm one of the younger ones.  I know that when I was 22 years old, I couldn't care less about what a bunch of old guys had to say about anything!

So, we try to keep it as light as we can and that's why we offer so much music coverage. 

nunhgrader

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2011, 08:04 pm »
I think you (and the magazine) are succeeding. I love the metal pieces, the jazz selections, the electronic selections and the offbeat indie reviews and the overall positive - pro-music outlook. Plus your writer selection has been excellent. I really love the offbeat watch articles (especially Ken's). I also think your photography (especially the live music/ concert) is stellar. Big fan of Dulli and the Twilight singers - okay I will shut-up now. :)

Keep up the great work!

jhm731

« Reply #31 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:03 am »
Will your Decware Zen TORII MK III review be in issue 39?

TONEPUB

« Reply #32 on: 27 Jul 2011, 12:58 pm »
Sorry, 39 is in the can, but we will have it in #40. 

jhm731

« Reply #33 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:38 pm »
Sorry, 39 is in the can, but we will have it in #40.

Thanks for the update.

Did you do any tube rolling with the TORII?

TONEPUB

« Reply #34 on: 27 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm »
Just a bit.  Swapped the stock EL34's for the Shugyuangs with excellent results.

Going to play with some rectifiers and voltage regulators as well.