TONEAudio issue 38 ready for download

TONEPUB

TONEAudio issue 38 ready for download
« on: 1 Jul 2011, 03:42 am »
Issue 38 is ready for download....

This issue, we've focused entirely on budget gear. Everything is in the range of $200 - $1800 - nothing higher. Even our vintage column has been expanded to include what we feel are ten great vintage components under $1500, with most being in the $150 - $400 range.

And of course, plenty of music reviews.

Hope you enjoy it...

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_038.pdf

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: TONEAudio issue 38 ready for download
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2011, 07:42 am »
Stellar issue, as usual  :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2011, 02:41 pm »
Thanks!

My favorite article is Bob Gendron's "The Music Never Stopped."  He really put a lot into that piece.

jeffh

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2011, 11:56 pm »
Great issue.  I've already read it.

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2011, 04:42 am »
That was fast!

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2011, 04:51 am »
"... as if ownership somehow equates to critical prowess."  Best observation of the year!

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2011, 04:54 am »
I think seat time and familiarity really help your critical listening skills.  That's why I spend so much time listening....  I'm fortunate that I do this for a living, 12 hrs. a day, almost every day.

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2011, 05:09 am »
It comes back to the old question of music lover, or equipment lover.  I look at the ratio of $$ spent on music, vs the $$ spent on equipment.  I have about $8k in my system.  On the other hand, I have about 5000 CD's worth of music.  At $10 per CD, you do the math :P

TONEPUB

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2011, 05:17 am »
It comes back to the old question of music lover, or equipment lover.  I look at the ratio of $$ spent on music, vs the $$ spent on equipment.  I have about $8k in my system.  On the other hand, I have about 5000 CD's worth of music.  At $10 per CD, you do the math :P

I disagree.  Though they are exclusive with some, they aren't necessarily exclusive with everyone.  My system is worth well into the six figure range, yet I've got 8000 CD's, 600 high res discs and about 6000 albums.  I love music, listen to everything I can get my hands on as well as see 60-100 live shows in any given year.  I wouldn't say I like/enjoy music any less now that I have a world class system.

I don't think it matters what you've spent on a system as long as you enjoy it.  Getting a better system if you feel the need to spend the money, hopefully just increases your enjoyment of the music.  That doesn't mean that some don't get caught up in the equipment thing.  And if that's what makes them happy, I don't think any less of them.

As Bob said in his article, I wish there was another day or two in the week most weeks.  I also listen to a TON of music on Rhapsody.  Even though it is only 128kb/sec quality, it really gives me the ability to check out a lot of new music - you can only buy so much, no matter what your budget.  I still spend a lot of $$ on music every month, but thanks to Rhapsody, the percentage of what I really like is quite a bit higher.

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2011, 05:24 am »
Maybe you are right - perhaps instead of a ratio, it comes back to time spent - how much do you invest listening to music, and not just old stuff, but new (to you) stuff as well.

TONEPUB

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2011, 06:31 am »
Agreed.

Between Rhapsody, friends and my staff members, there is always something new to check out...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2011, 08:24 am »
Very nice and as a music lover, love the cover and music content.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2011, 09:45 am »
Issue 38 is ready for download....

This issue, we've focused entirely on budget gear. Everything is in the range of $200 - $1800 - nothing higher. Even our vintage column has been expanded to include what we feel are ten great vintage components under $1500, with most being in the $150 - $400 range.

And of course, plenty of music reviews.

Hope you enjoy it...

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_038.pdf

Problem for me calling it up.  Tried that link 5-6 times, no go.  Then via www.tonepblications.com site, clicking that non-premium link, still same.  Is it my PC???? :duh:

Tyson

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2011, 09:47 am »
But, no classical!  It's a crime, I tell ya!  Personally, I listen to at least a dozen new (to me) classical CD's a month.  Even a small column in Tone would be appreciated (or hell, I could write something if there's interest). 

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2011, 07:08 pm »
But, no classical!  It's a crime, I tell ya!  Personally, I listen to at least a dozen new (to me) classical CD's a month.  Even a small column in Tone would be appreciated (or hell, I could write something if there's interest).

Unfortunately, there really isn't.  We used to have a classical column when we started and no one read it.  We've done a handful of reader surveys over the years, and we've had less than 1% respond that they read (or cared) about classical.

And we just can't be everything to everyone, so that's where I've drawn the line. We have increased jazz and blues coverage because of the interest.  Should that ever change with classical, we might include it.

It's always fluid around here, so you never know!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 3 Jul 2011, 07:28 pm »
... and we've had less than 1% respond that they read (or cared) about classical.
  :o Wow is that sad.  :bawl: It seems that my classical listening % goes up with each year that goes by.  Post your opinions/rants/reviews/etc. here on AC, Tyson.  I'll read it.

Jon L

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jul 2011, 08:35 pm »
  :o Wow is that sad.  :bawl: It seems that my classical listening % goes up with each year that goes by.  Post your opinions/rants/reviews/etc. here on AC, Tyson.  I'll read it.

That's a great idea.  It's so much harder to seek out new classical pieces and/or performances, not to even mention sound quality.

TONEPUB

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jul 2011, 09:04 pm »

It's just our readers, which happen to be quite a bit younger than the print guys.  When I worked at TAS 7 years ago, Robert Harley joked and said that their readers were "57 to dead."  So those guys are even older now.  88% of our readers are 25-50.  A good friend of mine that used to work at Acoustic Sounds told me that when he asked a customer once about why he didn't listen to more classical said, "That music will always be there, I'll listen to it when I'm old."

What I'd really like to address with classical music is a way to expose new people to it, which is always tough.  I've never been able to find anyone to write a comprehensive article about where to start with classical that I've found compelling.

But I'd love to see an article that says, If you like Metallica, start here.  If you like Miles, start here.

Where to begin is the most daunting.  As much as those of us that like rock, jazz and blues argue about what pressing or performance to buy, type in Mahler 5 on Amazon.com.  I think there are over 2500 choices!  Most people just gloss over at that point and honestly, none of my friends that are classical listeners have ever been any help.  They just always tell me that I've bought the wrong recording or performance.

So, it's not like it isn't on my mind...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2011, 09:09 pm »
I'm wonderirng if being an internet magazine could have something to do with the lack of interest in classical.  Maybe the readership is generally younger or something, and more into modern music. 

Oh, Jeff just beat me to it :scratch:.  Still, an occasional article or review would be nice.   

TONEPUB

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jul 2011, 10:27 pm »
We did have an article on some classical LP's from ORG in issue 37.  And we have our eyes on a couple of classical writers, so the subject isn't dead.  As we pay our writers pretty close to print magazine rates, some of it is just me not wanting to spend that kind of money on an article that no one is reading, when I could be purchasing content that my readers will read and enjoy...

Magazine economics 101...

:)