What is *your* sound?

denjo

Re: What is *your* sound?
« Reply #40 on: 7 Feb 2009, 01:58 pm »
I want to be lost in the music, to be completely immersed, absorbed and be a part of the music! I want the bloom of tubes, the speed of transistors, the highs of ribbons, the lows of woofers. I want width and depth and height! I want each instrument to have its sphere, each musician to have his space.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #41 on: 7 Feb 2009, 02:16 pm »
I want to be lost in the music, to be completely immersed, absorbed and be a part of the music! I want the bloom of tubes, the speed of transistors, the highs of ribbons, the lows of woofers. I want width and depth and height! I want each instrument to have its sphere, each musician to have his space.

So buy a ticket to a concert!    :lol:

denjo

« Reply #42 on: 7 Feb 2009, 03:18 pm »

So buy a ticket to a concert!    :lol:

thunderbrick

That would cost too much in the long run!  :wink:

Instead I decided to bring the concert to my living room!  :D

stone deaf

« Reply #43 on: 14 Mar 2009, 04:32 am »
When I sit to listen I expect to be wowed. I want to hear everything the recording has to offer plus a foot massage. :)

low.pfile

« Reply #44 on: 14 Mar 2009, 05:10 am »
"My sound" varies by mood and mode.

I listen to music quite a bit when in my workplace office, home office and while doing various other activies in my home, as well as specifically sitting down to enjoy an album or two. Likely, on average, I am listening to music 8-12 hours a day. You know what moods are. By mode I mean....

Vari-mode: So with the majority of my listening being while I am doing other things, I really don't want to be overwhelmed with intense dynamics and soundstaging. But I don't want it to sound like it is coming from a anemic boombox or elevator speakers either. My ideal in this mode the sound would be encompassing (as in omni-directional), and fully articulated, though with less impact on the highs and lows. Even if at low volume, I'd love if it was coming from every corner of the space I am in, without it sounding in any way processed.  To put this in perspective I never listen to multi-channel music, I don't care for it in my current system.

At home to achieve the omni-directional soundscape feel for Vari-mode, I've used my combo HT/music system by using only a subset of the 5.1 speakers, as well as had both systems (different rooms) synched up. Just for fun.

When in pure listening mode, my sound preference is for cohesive, and natural sound, with the illusion that speakers and boxes are not creating these sounds. Almost touchable sounds. And even with the perception that the music is ever so lightly coating me. Feel it and have it feel you. Whoa. Trippy. As you would imagine, I favor a slightly warm sound over dry precision. I think I see more tubeage in my future.

Now I get to go back and read the others's sound to see how typical or odd I sound in this crowd.

Cheers,
Ed

came back to add: I want both of my sounds from one system with just a flick of a switch.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2009, 09:15 am by low.pfile »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #45 on: 21 Jul 2009, 01:24 am »
Expansive space with images radiating in 3D free of speaker location.  Saturation or body to images.  Tonal color.  No likey dryness or grain.