SETs, anyone?

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: SETs, anyone?
« Reply #40 on: 26 May 2007, 05:29 am »
I've always liked the look of the Wyetech Topaz.
Maybe I'll check it out someday.
It sure looks special, in a good way I think.

It's great that it can cruise at 18 watts and chuck out 50w in pulses.
I'd have to find a speaker that would match.

I'm to much of a bass lover still, but if I could find a speaker that would work, i'd give it some
serious thought. 12 large is a lot of money for just 18watts I think.  :drool:

Imperial
if you're a bass lover, then you need to get a pair of subwoofers, actively crossed over to your mains w/an outboard x-over, & driven by a solid-state amp.  then, you could use tube amps with *any* speakers you want.   and, imo, your mains will sound better, (even if you stuck w/solid state amps for your mains), - the upper bass/lower midrange will perform better, since the driver is not having to deal w/the lowest frequencies.  aa  of course, having tubes on your mains will also effect an improvement, imo!   :green:

and, i see no need to spend $12k on 18w amps.  retail $800 will get you a killer 5wpc single-ended pentode amp  - the almarro a205a-mkll; & retail $2100 will get you a killer 45w per channel pair of set amps - the audio mirror 6c33c monoblocks.  mcalister audio also has some nice looking set amps - 16 & 22wpc, at $1100 & $1550 respectively - i have never heard them, but they are supposed to be outstanding amps...

ymmv,

doug s.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #41 on: 26 May 2007, 07:23 am »
Seems a funny way to route the speaker wiring coming out of the OPT's like that, lots of other stuff they must have to pass near...

Not worth $12K, homebrew versions could be built for far less than that, methinks :)

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #42 on: 26 May 2007, 01:59 pm »
Yeah, a cheaper amp is to be had, of course.
But the powersupply of the Wyetech is quite wild!
I see a pair of Wyetech 300B mono's on a'gon for some 3400$ now.
Well, I'll have to wait a bit yet, so... we'll see!  :thumb: But thanks for the other alternatives!
I'm using SET in my headphone system, an OTL design. Love the sound!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 26 May 2007, 03:14 pm by Imperial »

Dik Dolan

« Reply #43 on: 28 May 2007, 06:13 am »
I use a HifiCollective Glasshouse 300b SET amp driving 89db-ish IPL S3 Transmission line speakers. Both built from kits, and I love 'em. Next project is constructing the world-designs pre3 and phono3 kits. The pre3 uses ecc82's and output transformers, so I guess it's a SET too=)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #44 on: 30 May 2007, 02:42 pm »
Promitheus Audio is working on a GM70 based SET with a 45 as driver. Separate tranformer output coupled power supplies. All trannies are balanced. The amp is capable of 75W per channel of SET sound.
      Expect to see in full production in a couple of months when testing is complete. There is no price set yet but the competition is at $10,000 and $126,000 for the Dehavilland and Lamm respectively. Knowing Promitheus the price should be very attractive. On paper this amp should be a killer. A prototype is burning in as we speak. The V-caps [teflon ] take forever to break in, about 400 to 500 Hrs. Bummer. However well worth the wait. These caps are the most neutral caps you will ever try IMO. Expensive yes, performance exceptional.
      Exciting, very exciting.

rollo

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #45 on: 30 May 2007, 04:20 pm »
Promitheus Audio is working on a GM70 based SET with a 45 as driver. Separate tranformer output coupled power supplies. All trannies are balanced. The amp is capable of 75W per channel of SET sound.
      Expect to see in full production in a couple of months when testing is complete. There is no price set yet but the competition is at $10,000 and $126,000 for the Dehavilland and Lamm respectively. Knowing Promitheus the price should be very attractive. On paper this amp should be a killer. A prototype is burning in as we speak. The V-caps [teflon ] take forever to break in, about 400 to 500 Hrs. Bummer. However well worth the wait. These caps are the most neutral caps you will ever try IMO. Expensive yes, performance exceptional.
      Exciting, very exciting.

rollo

rollo,

Does Promitheus Audio have any other SETs of more modest power output in the works?

Raj

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #46 on: 5 Jun 2007, 10:58 pm »
Promitheus Audio is working on a GM70 based SET with a 45 as driver.
      Exciting, very exciting.

rollo

Using a 45 to drive a Ulyanov 70 tube...
That should make for a powerful and amazingly immediate amplifier.
Should give a sharper delineation than the Kara Chaffe design is able to muster..
More micro dynamic ability as well.
Thinner sounding? Who knows. More articulate? Hm...
As you say, that would be on paper... Let's wait and "see".
Hm... I am intrigued!

Imperial

TONEPUB

« Reply #47 on: 6 Jun 2007, 02:34 pm »
sounds very interesting....