Nirvana's "Nevermind" in hi-rez from HDtracks - anybody try it?

Pez

You would think so, but the nirvana remaster I spoke of earlier is amazing and much better sounding than the originals.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Isn't there an inherent contradiction between hi-rez and grunge?

To me it sounds like having a clear view of the fog.

I don't believe so.

Improved clarity and resolution is almost always a good thing.

George

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I don't believe so.

Improved clarity and resolution is almost always a good thing.

George

Agreed.  In all seriousness, to me the goal of hirez done right is to move the listener, in whatever genre of music, from "sounds like I'm there" to "sounds like they're here".  So things like live dynamics (impossible with vinyl or 16 bit recordings) , correct timbre (a cornerstone of vinyl) and better clarity through lower noise floor...these things will be genre-agnostic IMO.  I could be wrong.  :)

Pez

This one officially gets the Pez seal of approval. No weird guitar parts dropping out of existence no garbage 5.1 mix down, no HDtracks overlooking of obviously flawed material.

Great sound quality (not excellent, but remember this is Nirvana!)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I will do a comparison this weekend between the standard cd, HDtracks 24-96 download, and the MSFL cd.

Just bear with me as it will need to happen between the kids soccer, MLB playoffs, NFL, etc...

George

I was able to listen to all three versions over the weekend and come to a few conclusions. 

While the MSFL version has better measured dynamic range, the added clarity of the 24-96 download from HDtracks made it the one I wanted to listen and rock out to.  When doing quick A/B comparisons (which I could never absolutely level match due to the loudness differences and the way volume control works on my preamp), I "think" I could hear the dynamic range differences, but it wasn't that super noticeable and it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the music.   

Both the MSFL and 24-96 download were better than the original.  By comparison, the original sounded muffled and congested.  I didn't notice any differences in regards to instruments used, placement of instruments, voices, etc...they are seemed to be the same.

I do want to stress that the HDtracks version is significantly louder than the original or MSFL versions, so be careful with where your volume is at before hitting play!

Other than the very loud nature of 24-96 download and the more limited dynamic range, I think they did a pretty good job creating the hi-rez release.  If you are a fan of Nirvana, it is worth buying.

George
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2011, 01:38 am by zybar »

face

I wonder if this remaster is a hi-res version of the soon to be released "Nevermind" remaster? 

I picked up it and am glad I did so.  As others said, it's a little LOUD, but sounds great.

GarfL

My original CD from 1991 sounds way better than this abomination. Tossing out what little dynamic range that was on the original for the sake of constant loudness? Hardly evokes any emotion in me, other than revulsion at this remaster.