DVI component switching?

droliver

DVI component switching?
« on: 22 Apr 2004, 02:05 pm »
I just bought one of the new SAMSUNG DLP TV's with an HDI input port. Seeing some of the reviews I also picked up one of Samsung's DVD HD-931 the $250 player with the DVI ouput. Hooked it up & its great!

My question:
I have an HDTV cable box converter from which I'm currently using component video cables to the TV. Is there any lo-tech solution to getting a switching device so that it could use the DVI ouput from the converter to the TV as well as using the DVI from the DVD player without getting a fancy new reciever which might have multiple DVI inputs?

Andrew JC

DVI component switching?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:12 pm »
You may want to look here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/gefen-hdtv-dvi-switcher-3-2004.html  Also your DVD player does not garner that much praise from what I have read about in various forums.

Wayne1

DVI component switching?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2004, 03:57 pm »
Here is another one for a little bit less:

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DS-21R

droliver

DVI component switching?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2004, 08:29 pm »
Quote from: Andrew JC
Also your DVD player does not garner that much praise from what I have read about in various forums.

I got the impression that some of the compatibility issues when when it was being used with some other manufacturers monitors. I read about 4-5 reviews which loved the DVI output quality but were unimpressed with the component output pictures. I fired mine up last night with the DVI-DVI conection upsampled to 1070i & it was gorgeous!

Thanks guys for the DVI switcher idea! Is there much difference in the function or quality known b/w those two sources (Geffen & Pacific Cable) as far as anyone knows? They're priced within $20 of each other.

Andrew JC

DVI component switching?
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2004, 11:31 pm »
droliver, If you’re happy I’m happy. I don't even have a DVD player yet. I had a Tosh 5960 but returned it and waiting in a Zenith 318.

Wayne1

DVI component switching?
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2004, 11:55 pm »
The biggest difference I can see between the two is that the Geffen has the inputs on one side of the box and the output on the opposite side.

The Pacific Cable has all the ins and outs on the back. By ergonomics alone, the Pacific Cable looks easier to set up in most systems.

BTW, the guy I am going to use to do an ISF calibration on my set says that the RGB levels are quite a bit different for DVI and component video, at least in the Hitachi S500 series.

"As far as inputs, if you plan to use DVI, it is vital that it gets calibrated in addition to any other inputs.  DVI RGB color processing is much different than component in the Hitachi. "