Decent receiver with preamp outputs

Bingenito

« on: 21 Sep 2004, 01:45 am »
I am looking for a decent receiver to connect to a Pass X-1 preamp using the left and right preamp outputs.

Requirements:
* Under $600
* I do not care about video pass through
* Must allow speakers to be set to large and allow a phantom center channel since I have line arrays andno center channel
* Must power my rear speakers which are a 4 ohm load

Any ideas for a good HT receiver?

Thank you

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2004, 01:50 am »
So you went with the Pass?

What did you like about it?  Did you get to hear some of your other choices?

If you can bump up a little in price, a used Denon 3805 makes an excellent choice (this is what I use).

George

Bingenito

Pass
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:08 am »
Funny you should mention the Denon. I am looking at the 3805 or 2805 in silver right now.

I liked the Pass X-1 because I got it on a trade for my Krell HTS 7.1 so I got the line stage I wanted + sold my Krell to a guy that was going back to HT. It really worked out for both of us. Got to love it when that happens.

Now I move onto power amps and HT receivers

I got a Rowland dealer coming over Saturday to demo the Rowland M201s. I had used a Denon 3801 years ago and really liked that so the 2805 or 3805 will get the job done nicely.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:12 am »
Cool!

I use my 201's to drive the main speakers and the 3805 drives my four surround speakers (no center and the subs have the Crown K2 to power them).

Let me know how the 201's sound with your speakers.

George

Bingenito

Denon
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:24 am »
You are setup is very similar mine.

How does the 3805 integrate with powering the surrounds? Is HT pass through a pain?

I will let you know on the M201s. I wish they were good for bass and I could use 4 of them to get rid of the Crown. The K1 is awesome at driving subs but the woman keeps nagging because of the green sticker faceplate inserts. I may get off my a&& one day and make some nice inserts to shut her up

eico1

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:28 am »
Though I'm usually tech savvy, why do you need a pre-amp between a receiver and a power amp? Or at least why would the quality need to be better than the reciever...?

steve

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:29 am »
HT pass thru is pretty easy.   :mrgreen:

Since I use a Bent NOH passive, I simply select the proper input and turn the volume to full open.

Only issue is that I need to remember to turn down the volume before selcting my two channel source.

The 201's are very good on bass.  That is just a lot of cash tied up in driving subs.  Way cheaper to pretty up the Crown.

George

Bingenito

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:35 am »
Though I'm usually tech savvy, why do you need a pre-amp between a receiver and a power amp? Or at least why would the quality need to be better than the reciever...?

* Dedicated line stage preamp for 2 channel audio
* Receiver preamp outputs are connected to one of the inputs on the preamp for HT pass through
* Your main 2 channel system is accessed when using HT but the receiver drives the other speakers.

When just listening to music the receiver is out of the way

eico1

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:43 am »
Thanks, just a little worried about the Pass, good luck!

My Nakamichi receiver would be a contender, but is not made any longer...

steve

bubba966

Re: Pass
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2004, 03:53 am »
Quote from: Bingenito
I had used a Denon 3801 years ago and really liked that so the 2805 or 3805 will get the job done nicely.

If you liked the 3801 when you had one, then you should just pick up a 3805.

Another option would be a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. It's about as close in functionality & performance to a 3805 as you can get, and doesn't cost what a 3805 does.

spudco

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2004, 01:22 pm »
I use a Denon 2802 with the Pass X-1 and it works great.  The Denon has more than enough power for the surround speakers.  I use it in "phantom center channel mode" and the front sound stage is great.  I've never missed having a center channel speaker.  I also use the Denon as video selector for my plasma and to listen to FM radio.  Swithching inputs is quiet (no pops).  I set the receiver to Mute when listening to 2 channel music.  It is the second Denon reciever I've owned in the last 6 years.  They are well built for the price.  The remote sucks, but I use a pronto...

The only issue I have with the 2802 is that it does not convert S-Video to component video.  I use a DVDO Iscan Ultra to convert the S-video from my sat TV receiver to component.  This makes video source changing simpler since the plasma input never changes.  I understand that the 3805 will also convert S-video to component.

dayneger

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2004, 05:06 pm »
Another option that's not talked about as much is the line of NAD surround receivers.  They all have preouts and are stable to 2 ohms.  The base model T743 should easily have enough juice and is in your price range.  A little less gadgetry, a little more solid amp.

Cheers,

:)  Dayne