Another Electrostatic Speaker

BruceSB

Another Electrostatic Speaker
« on: 6 Jan 2021, 11:57 pm »
Came across another electrostatic company.
Here is the link  https://poporiacoustics.com
They appear to have been around for 25 years.
Hand made, look like a good speaker but a bit expensive.
They make Jazzman's speakers an even better buy (& they were already super great value).
Good to see another electrostatic speaker company coming to our attention.
Bruce

Jon L

Re: Another Electrostatic Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2021, 12:34 am »
Nice looking 'stats, but 36,000 Euro electrostats made in Hungary... does not apply to most of us.

BruceSB

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2021, 02:13 am »
Yes, Jon L, I can't for the life of me see how someone would buy these when they could buy some SoundLabs instead.
Unless, maybe they lived next door to the factory in Hungry!!!
But, they must be doing something right to have been able to be around for 25 years.
Bruce

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2021, 04:07 am »
Yes, Jon L, I can't for the life of me see how someone would buy these when they could buy some SoundLabs instead.
But, they must be doing something right to have been able to be around for 25 years.
Bruce

+1 I have heard the big Soundlabs a couple times and they are a very refined stat.

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2021, 04:15 am »
Bruce

They say on the website:
"For nearly 20 years, Popori Acoustics has made custom-made electrostatic speakers exclusively.
In 2020 the WR1 debuts as the brand’s first series product."

So even though they may have been making custom made-to-order 'stats for years, it's really been less than a year since they started selling a commercial product. 
Along with Soundlab, I don't see myself buying these over something like Sanders 10e 'stats which cost $17K including Magtech amp and digital crossover/room correction..

Kilkil

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2021, 04:26 pm »
The speaker is pretty.  It looks like it is not segmented or curved in any manner, thus i would expect a very tiny sweet spot, similar to Sanders.

sbank

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2021, 04:45 pm »
Thankful for my Soundlab A3 bargain pickup a number of years ago. Yeah, they needed some work, but I can't imagine spending the current cost of their equivalent. Pics here: https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/133

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2021, 07:46 pm »
Now THOSE are some speakers!