What class of amplifier

Rory B.

What class of amplifier
« on: 10 Apr 2005, 10:28 pm »
What amplifier class is used for most "audiophile" amplifiers?

Bemopti123

What class of amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2005, 10:52 pm »
Class A(also Tube SET not PP)
Class AB
Class D (digital)
Class T<Digital, I cannot remember too well.
Class xxxxx?

Class in terms of electric consumption or amplifie bias loses all meaning with what has been rated as "audiophile" grade or Class A rated in any magazine.

meilankev

What class of amplifier
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2005, 12:24 am »
bemopti123,

You state:
Class A(also Tube SET not PP)

I don't quite understand what you are saying in parenthesis.  Are you saying that Tube SET is more popular than Tube Push-Pull?  Or are you saying that Tube Push-Pull is not available in Pure Class A?

Thanks,
Kevin

warnerwh

What class of amplifier
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2005, 12:29 am »
The most common class is AB by far.

Bemopti123

What class of amplifier
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2005, 01:56 am »
MeilanKev,

SET tube amps are inherently Class A, run at higher temperatures.

Then, there are Push and Pull tubed amps which are not.  

Not that one is more popular than another.  There is plenty of tubed amps in either category.

PP=Push pull.

Hope I clarified that one.

_scotty_

What class of amplifier
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2005, 06:18 am »
Rory B. , This is a value judgement made by a listener relating to a  subjective quality that the listener perceives and may only be valid to him.
You may have a different reaction to the same amp. The "audiophile"
designation has been applied at one time or another to every amplifier class on Bemopti123s list. It is not a useful descriptor of amplifier suitability for high fidelity
applications. Scotty

WerTicus

What class of amplifier
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2005, 07:47 am »
i say whatever class the reference 8 from nuforce is an audiophile amp :) and everything else needs to catch up now!

meilankev

What class of amplifier
« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2005, 10:47 am »
Bemopti123,

You are incorrect to state that Push-Pull tube amps are not Class A - this is why I was confused.  For example, my monoblocks are:

> Push-Pull
> 100W Triode
> Pure Class A

There are many others.

Kevin

skrivis

Re: What class of amplifier
« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2005, 05:45 pm »
Quote from: Rory B.
What amplifier class is used for most "audiophile" amplifiers?

Class of 2005?

Occam

What class of amplifier
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2005, 05:20 pm »
As Warerwh commented, the great majority of linear audio amplifiers, audiophile or not, are class AB amplifiers. All class A amplifiers at least claim to be 'audiophile'. Otherwise, why would anyone put up with the heat?

Those switching amps, vary their selling points depending on their intended audience - efficiency, size, quality.......

The only true digital amp I'm familiar with are the Panasonic/TI/TACT architecture.

Any of these amps are capable to true audiophile quality. But the architechture is only one part of the overal result. Any amp is critically dependant not only on its topology, but the circuit layout, and component choice.

WerTicus - please note the above paragraph. I'm pleased that you are enthusiastic for your new purchase, but your post was content free with regards to the Lab circle's purpose. Please share your 'wood' in a more appropriate circle.

There seem to much confusion as to the differences between Class A and Class AB amplifiers A Class A amp simply defines a linear amplifier where none of the output devices (hollow or solid state) ever turn off. Nor does single ended or 'push-pull' determine the class, although Nelson Pass seems to be the only designer who ever produced a single ended Class AB amp).  A class AB amplifier is simply an amp where both side stay 'on' but for a limited range of power.
Many amps claiming to be Class A (the excellent Bel 1001 for example) are in reality very high bias Class AB amps. Such are demands of marketing piffle.

For info on linear class operation, a simple google search will yeild much-
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=amplifier+class&btnG=Google+Search