Gonna taste Magnepan appetizer (LRS). Which flavor?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Gonna taste Magnepan appetizer (LRS). Which flavor?
« Reply #40 on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:07 pm »
Okay, 12 inches didn't make much of a difference, but only a few hours earlier you said...

"Play around with positioning, even 1/2" can make a huge difference."  :slap:

My point is that once you have a good sounding position, try moving them in small increments forward, backward, sideways and toe in.  If you are that familiar with Maggies, you should know what I am talking about instead of trying to belittle me because you don't agree with me.

In regard to my 12" comment, I meant that for me in my room, moving them out another 12" from the front wall, the sound did not dramatically improve. YMMV 8)

avta

« Reply #41 on: 23 Jul 2019, 04:29 pm »
Here’s a casual picture of one of my LRS’s. It’s got black fabric and oak wood.

Saturn94

« Reply #42 on: 23 Jul 2019, 11:39 pm »
Here’s a casual picture of one of my LRS’s. It’s got black fabric and oak wood.

Thanks!  :thumb:

Is the thin side trim visible from the front?  Or just at an angle?  How visible is the driver panel through the black cloth?

Thanks again.  :D

Keep the pics coming, people!  :thumb:

avta

« Reply #43 on: 23 Jul 2019, 11:46 pm »
The trim is visible from the front. I cannot see anything through the grill cloth.

Saturn94

« Reply #44 on: 23 Jul 2019, 11:47 pm »
The trim is visible from the front. I cannot see anything through the grill cloth.

Thanks.  :D

Saturn94

« Reply #45 on: 23 Jul 2019, 11:52 pm »
I’m trying to picture what the LRS will look like in my room.  Picturing the off white, it just seems like they’d look odd.  I’m leaning towards either black or grey with dark cherry trim (pretty much decided on the dark cherry trim).  Grey is intriguing, but there’s something attractive about sound coming from black space (my favorite listening environment is a really dark room.

I really hope Magnepan will send samples so I can see the grey in person (they haven’t responded to my email request yet  :( ).

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #46 on: 23 Jul 2019, 11:58 pm »
My Gallery shows black and off white, I'd imagine the other one looks like sweatshirt color.

Saturn94

« Reply #47 on: 24 Jul 2019, 12:07 am »
My Gallery shows black and off white, I'd imagine the other one looks like sweatshirt color.

Thanks. :D

Yeah, I think off white is out.  It looks good on the higher models with the wide side trim and trim between the tweeter/mid, woofer.  But without that, it just looks odd to me.

Grey can go either way with me.  Dark enough would look sophisticated, too light would be blah.  Really need those samples!  :thumb:  Pics on the internet are so varied.  :(

I know for some cosmetics are a secondary issue, but I want something that looks and sounds great!  :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #48 on: 30 Jul 2019, 04:29 pm »
LRS ordered!  Black fabric, dark cherry trim.

Estimated delivery time is 6-8 weeks.

I greatly appreciate everyone’s input helping me.  :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #49 on: 4 Oct 2019, 12:52 am »
My LRS shipped today!  :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #50 on: 4 Oct 2019, 01:12 am »
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #51 on: 4 Oct 2019, 02:27 am »

Congrats, let us know how they sound.  They need at least 75 hours of break in.  Don't get alarmed at how they sound the first 20 hours or so.  What amp will you be using?

Larry

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #52 on: 4 Oct 2019, 05:41 pm »
  Good for you Man.

charles

Saturn94

« Reply #53 on: 4 Oct 2019, 11:01 pm »
Congrats, let us know how they sound.  They need at least 75 hours of break in.  Don't get alarmed at how they sound the first 20 hours or so.  What amp will you be using?

Larry

Thanks for the advice. :)

My amp is a Parasound Classic 5250 (250 wpc @ 8 ohms, 385 wpc @ 4 ohms, 45 amps peak per channel).
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2019, 05:23 pm by Saturn94 »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #54 on: 6 Oct 2019, 11:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice. :)

My amp is a Parasound Classic 5250 (250 wpc @ 8 ohms, 385 wpc @ 4 ohms, 45 amps peak per channel).

They should sound great!

johnto

« Reply #55 on: 8 Oct 2019, 01:26 pm »
Congrats welcome to great sound.
On color I had 1.7 in off white with silver and they looked much larger than the 1.7i in black with cherry I later purchased.
Same with 3.7i my black with black appear smaller than the same speaker with cherry trim.
Colors create allusions.

Saturn94

« Reply #56 on: 8 Oct 2019, 02:55 pm »
Congrats welcome to great sound.
On color I had 1.7 in off white with silver and they looked much larger than the 1.7i in black with cherry I later purchased.
Same with 3.7i my black with black appear smaller than the same speaker with cherry trim.
Colors create allusions.

Very interesting.  I hadn’t considered that aspect of color choice.

Hopefully, I can post a pic later today.....waiting for UPS to deliver.......

johnto

« Reply #57 on: 8 Oct 2019, 05:14 pm »
Exciting day . Besides speaker placement you'll notice moving your listening chair a few feet closer or away from the speakers will also make a difference in sound.

Saturn94

« Reply #58 on: 9 Oct 2019, 12:35 am »

They’re here!

First the bad news.  I first thought they had the wrong trim color;  I ordered dark cherry and the trim looks black.  In the sunlight you can see the reddish cherry color, so I guess it’s the correct trim.  It’s certainly FAR darker than it looks on the website and any pictures I’ve seen.  Disappointing. :(

The good news, damn these things sound good!  :thumb:  Acoustic instruments and voices are gorgeous!  No problem with Pop, Rock, etc either.  They play plenty loud.  Greyhound had me worried they wouldn’t sound so good out of the box.  And they’re gonna get better?  Sweet!

I started by setting them up using the enclosed instructions as a guide; ~3ft from the front wall (the max I can do), tweeters outside, ~ 4.5ft apart (instructions say 60% of sitting distance; I sit at 7ft).  Set up like this the soundstage was small and flat, ugh!  My other speakers did well spread pretty far apart, so I spread the LRS 6ft apart (inner edge to inner edge).  MUCH better!!

Running them full range, I was surprised by the bass they were putting out for small panels.  I wasn’t expecting that.  I guess they like my room.  With most music they were certainly satisfying without a sub.  Speaking of a sub, with some crossover and level tweaking they play real nice with my sub.

My amp seems to have no issues driving them. 

These things are a steal for the price!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #59 on: 9 Oct 2019, 01:18 am »
Congrats!  I didn't mean to worry you about breakin.  They will get better with 75 hours.   Try different  positioning, even moving 1 or 2 inches.  Place tape on the floor so you can remember which positions sound good.  I found that mine sound better at about 7' apart.  If you integrate a sub, try running the Mags at full range.  Maggie bass is tight and musical.  However, YMMV.

By the way, the cherry trim is variable.  It could be light or dark.

Enjoy!

Larry