New X-Otica coming soon.

ebag4

Re: New X-Otica coming soon.
« Reply #80 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:20 am »
It worked great Peter.  Cool video, really gives you a great feel for the build.

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #81 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:27 am »
Hmmmm, linking is what I was attempting, Jay. Is it not working?

Peter,

It worked for me also

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #82 on: 7 Dec 2015, 02:52 am »
Worked for me too. It looks great.

I can't wait for everyone to hear these.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #83 on: 8 Dec 2015, 03:03 am »
Peter J,

Too cool! You've set the bar high now, Danny will have to do this for all his designs from now on:thumb:

Very helpful indeed for seeing the big picture...

Greg

brother love

« Reply #84 on: 8 Dec 2015, 11:39 am »
Peter J. Your video was so slick, that I watched it twice!  :lol:  Looking forward to your build as always. You do really nice work.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #85 on: 8 Dec 2015, 03:37 pm »
Peter J. Your video was so slick, that I watched it twice!  :lol:  Looking forward to your build as always. You do really nice work.

It is a little hypnotic, huh? I've watched it more that I want to admit, marveling at what many SketchUp gurus would think commonplace. Maybe I could get it to loop somehow and convince someone to give me an island or something...hmmmm, the possibilities...

SteveKi

« Reply #86 on: 8 Dec 2015, 03:51 pm »
I guess that I didn't have to build that cardboard mock-up.

Well it did let me see how it fits in my room.
Steve

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #87 on: 8 Dec 2015, 04:06 pm »
I guess that I didn't have to build that cardboard mock-up.
Steve

Hey, I'd like seeing that mock-up! Gotta post the photos if you're gonna mention it...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #88 on: 8 Dec 2015, 04:24 pm »
Cardboard mock-ups come in real handy. I've done it in the past to see how different models fit but only for bookshelf models (OK, so calling models like the X-CS Encore or N3S a bookshelf is stretching the term just a little :wink:).

I haven't tried it with floor standing speakers though. Probably should have when I was trying to decide between 2 x 12" or 3 x 8" H-Frames

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #89 on: 8 Dec 2015, 04:51 pm »
I've done two foam models, one of the house we live in now. When I was designing it I needed to show my Wife what crazy idea I had in my head and the other was for my new audio building/guest house I just finished to lay everything out.

Back then I also laid the kitchen out with yarn on our old deck so my Wife could walk around in it and make sure it worked for her. An architect friend insisted I do the 1/4 scale model and boy I'm sure glad he did. It makes perfect sense to do cardboard speaker boxes, otherwise you just don't know what they will feel like or how they will fit in the room.

Now if I would have only known about cad 22 years ago, instead I did it all on Apple draw :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveKi

« Reply #90 on: 8 Dec 2015, 05:32 pm »
Hey, I'd like seeing that mock-up! Gotta post the photos if you're gonna mention it...
Peter,
It went from recycle bin cardboard at work, to mock-up, to home recycle bin in the space of a week.

I didn't think that it was picture worthy but it served its purpose. Sorry.
Steve

ctviggen

« Reply #91 on: 12 Dec 2015, 11:52 am »
I've done two foam models, one of the house we live in now. When I was designing it I needed to show my Wife what crazy idea I had in my head and the other was for my new audio building/guest house I just finished to lay everything out.

Back then I also laid the kitchen out with yarn on our old deck so my Wife could walk around in it and make sure it worked for her. An architect friend insisted I do the 1/4 scale model and boy I'm sure glad he did. It makes perfect sense to do cardboard speaker boxes, otherwise you just don't know what they will feel like or how they will fit in the room.

Now if I would have only known about cad 22 years ago, instead I did it all on Apple draw :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now you could do the smaller model on a 3D printer.  Even the speaker could be done that way. 

ctviggen

« Reply #92 on: 12 Dec 2015, 11:53 am »
They're still a bit expensive, but if you do many of these, it'd be worthwhile:

http://3d-printers.toptenreviews.com/

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #93 on: 12 Dec 2015, 06:59 pm »
Now you could do the smaller model on a 3D printer.  Even the speaker could be done that way.

The first time I saw a 3D printer it blew me away! I think they copied a hammer (not sure how will it would work?)

Now they have one set up on display at Home Depot, all it does a small stuff but someday...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 12 Dec 2015, 07:34 pm »
The problem with a less than full scale mock-up is that you will not see what the speakers are actually going to look like or how they will fit.

I thought that two 12" H-Frames at 16 1/2" wide each (not counting the plinth) would not fit in the space I had available so I went with 8" H-Frames. After I got them done and installed I realized 12" H-Frames would have fit. They would have been tight, within a couple inches of furniture on either side, but since the H-Frames have nulls to the sides that wouldn't have mattered.

At that point in time, not having heard either the 8's or the 12's and especially not a comparison between the two, I might still have chosen the 8's but that's not likely since the price difference is negligible.

On the upside, I have now been able to directly compare trip 8's and dual 12's.

Mike

ctviggen

« Reply #95 on: 12 Dec 2015, 07:35 pm »
The first time I saw a 3D printer it blew me away! I think they copied a hammer (not sure how will it would work?)

Now they have one set up on display at Home Depot, all it does a small stuff but someday...

They had one where I used to work and they would input a 3D CAD drawing and out would come a part.  This way, they could pretest some designs without going through a complete build.   

I've also seen where they modeled a house to be remodeled/added on to and it really helped visualize the space. 

I have some thoughts for redoing our fireplace (plus possibly built-ins with seats near the two windows that flank our fireplace) and also a coat closet/bench downstairs.  It would be great if I knew enough to enter these into 3D and have the 3D printer build a model.  It would probably take me so long to do that, it'd be faster for me just to build a small mock up myself.  And probably cheaper, too.  But these printer really hold some promise.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #96 on: 14 Dec 2015, 05:54 pm »
Peter J, the link doesn't work for me - it just sits there spinning, "Waiting for flic.kr"

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #97 on: 14 Dec 2015, 08:22 pm »
Peter J, the link doesn't work for me - it just sits there spinning, "Waiting for flic.kr"

Hmmm, I just used it and link seems to be working...Flickr says 188 views. Anyway, may be a temporary Flickr problem or something on your end. Perhaps try again or you can visit my Flickr photostream, moniker is Carbidetooth. If all else fails I could email it, probably best accomplished with a PM.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #98 on: 15 Dec 2015, 04:56 pm »
may be a temporary Flickr problem
  Probably so - I just tried again and I worked - nice drawings and animation!

AKLegal

« Reply #99 on: 17 Dec 2015, 11:37 pm »
Danny, any guess on what the sensitivity would be for just the MTM section?