New X-Otica coming soon.

Coldfusion

Re: New X-Otica coming soon.
« Reply #60 on: 2 Dec 2015, 02:11 am »
If your pre-amp has two sets of outputs then you run one set to your main amp and one set to the servo amps.

If your pre-amp has one set of outputs then you can use one of these to split the signal and filter the lows from the main amp with a simple inline cap as a high pass filter.

And you can turn the level (volume) control on the servo amp to match the output levels.

Where do you get one of those filters?

Danny Richie

« Reply #61 on: 2 Dec 2015, 03:16 am »
Where do you get one of those filters?

I make them.

SteveKi

« Reply #62 on: 2 Dec 2015, 02:21 pm »
I make them.

What do you call them. How much $$ for a pair?
Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #63 on: 2 Dec 2015, 02:29 pm »
What do you call them. How much $$ for a pair?
Steve

I call them Y connectors.  :green:  I was making them for Serenity Acoustics. All of the connectors are Cardas and the cap is a Sonicap Platinum. So pretty high quality stuff. I'd need to know the input impedance of you amp for the correct size capacitor for the application. Cost on these little dudes is $200 a pair.

AKLegal

« Reply #64 on: 2 Dec 2015, 05:13 pm »
Since the sides are angled how wide are the rear sides of the cabinets?  I am assuming the front baffles are the same width as the OB 5/7.

Danny Richie

« Reply #65 on: 2 Dec 2015, 07:03 pm »
Since the sides are angled how wide are the rear sides of the cabinets?  I am assuming the front baffles are the same width as the OB 5/7.

The front baffle is 8.5" wide. The outside edges of the sides across the back are 13.5".

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #66 on: 3 Dec 2015, 05:02 am »
These new drivers seem like a nice jump in performance.  Is there a 2-way version using the M-165NQ in the works?

Danny Richie

« Reply #67 on: 3 Dec 2015, 02:45 pm »
These new drivers seem like a nice jump in performance.  Is there a 2-way version using the M-165NQ in the works?

They were designed for an open baffle. So putting them in a boxed design requires an air volume on the high side.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #68 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:07 pm »
They were designed for an open baffle. So putting them in a boxed design requires an air volume on the high side.

So more like an X-SLS?

Danny Richie

« Reply #69 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:20 pm »
So more like an X-SLS?

Yes, optimal ported air space is just slightly larger than the M-165.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 4 Dec 2015, 06:46 pm »
So more like an X-SLS?

Or X-MTM Encore (still two-way design)?

Danny you're too quick for me ....

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #71 on: 5 Dec 2015, 12:13 am »
Well, those NQ's are really made for OB so what about an OB MTM  to sit on either stands or on top of ones subs....

I'd have suggested a MMTMM but I don't think the Peerless tweeter will play low enough   for the spacing required .....
-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #72 on: 5 Dec 2015, 12:52 am »
Well, those NQ's are really made for OB so what about an OB MTM  to sit on either stands or on top of ones subs....

I'd have suggested a MMTMM but I don't think the Peerless tweeter will play low enough   for the spacing required .....
-jay

Jay,

I like that idea and the Wedge bases can easily be built to fit, just make the front piece wider. 

This seems like a good alternative for folks who don't have enough floor space for the full size speakers plus H-Frame subs.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #73 on: 5 Dec 2015, 01:10 am »
That's doable.

wired4sound

« Reply #74 on: 6 Dec 2015, 07:03 pm »
For someone with a small room, MTM  :thumb: is ideal for me. It will also be a good introduction to the new driver without a bigger investment like the X-Otica.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #75 on: 6 Dec 2015, 09:41 pm »
For someone with a small room, MTM  :thumb: is ideal for me. It will also be a good introduction to the new driver without a bigger investment like the X-Otica.

I'm not certain but it looks to me like the top MTM section is similar to the Wedgies in that it rolls off at 200Hz which means midrange and treble only. If that is the case you won't be able to get by with just the MTM section, a subwoofer that can play up to 200Hz is going to be a must.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #76 on: 6 Dec 2015, 10:04 pm »
Yeah, you'll need something that can play up to 200Hz without that lower section.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #77 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:39 am »
Somewhat relevant to the thread. More about me (re)learning animations in SketchUp.

https://flic.kr/p/BsVucQ

I'll be starting a build thread when I start the ball rolling on these. Guaranteed to progress at glacial speed like most of my projects  :lol:

Arggghhh! Can someone tell me how to link to video on Flickr? OK, I think I got it...is link working for y'all?

Captainhemo

« Reply #78 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:04 am »
Looking forward to the build thread Peter !!
Can't you  just post a link to the flicker video... I'm not sure the board is set up to allow embedded videos

Regarding the  MTM idea, I imagine  it wold be able to play a fair bit lower than the  Wedgies so the need for a  sub to play up to around 200hz  would be avoided.
Ideally, servo subs would be  great match, but if the MTM can extend down  to reach a c/o point of around 120hz,  at least a person could get by with a convential sub until he/she upgraed to servo subs.

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #79 on: 7 Dec 2015, 01:13 am »
Looking forward to the build thread Peter !!
Can't you  just post a link to the flicker video... I'm not sure the board is set up to allow embedded videos
jay

Hmmmm, linking is what I was attempting, Jay. Is it not working?