14B SST Swedish Magazine Review

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
14B SST Swedish Magazine Review
« on: 11 Aug 2007, 02:28 am »
Hi All,

Just got a copy of a Swedish Magazine review on the 14B SST that calls the amplifier the best amp in the world.

Apparently the magazine has a 'bypass listening test' that they have used for many years and the 14B SST is the first amplifier they have tested that passed without detection. The reviewer purchased a 14B for his personal system.

Anyone out there read Swedish? I would like to get the review translated to English or a least the highlights of the review.

james

« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2007, 02:43 am by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: 14B SST Swedish Magazine Review
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2007, 09:27 am »
Thanks Phil,

I will have a look- in the past the problem when using these translation services has been they are not audiophiles and we end up having to rewrite the whole thing.

james

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2007, 10:26 am »
Check your pm Mr Tanner.

Imperial

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2007, 11:05 am »
Check your pm Mr Tanner.

Imperial

Thanks - I will get back to you with the Magazine and Issue - left it at work.

james

peranders

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2007, 01:38 pm »
Maybe I can help you. Give me more facts in the subject.  :D

Raimo

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2007, 08:27 pm »
Hallo James.
My name is Raimo & i live in sweden.I read the magazine you write about regulary.I ordered the 4BSST due to this rewiev.He very seldom has good things to say about most audio equipment regardles of price or brand.The rewiev is 7 pages long but in short he writes:
I put it in my home set up & used it a couple of days. It impressed me.Everything sounded smooth & clean-clean-clean.But maybe it lacked a bit of sting?
He took it over to a friend & there was the same impression.Then they put it in the Before-After test.(You put the amp in a existing reference set up & put a load representing a speaker on the outputs,after the load the signal goes back to the reference set up & you can test with or without the test object.)
In this test it was easy to hear that the Bryston sounded a tiny bit soft in the highs.He contacted Bryston & was amazed by the kind respons from the Bryston staff,they even sent him a new amp to test.The new amp vas set in the Before-After test & after 1 hour nobody could spot the amp,for the first time in this test.Then they tested more & more dificult signals,even a electronic metronome,this is the most dificult signal for amplifiers,it usually spots out any amplifier.But....nothing! Sombody said maby we have disconnected a wire & dosent listen to the amp at all? The cables vere ok.They listened until they grew tired of it.Still no one could spot the amp.The measurements was the best ever seen,the distortion instrument shows 0,001% distortion,and it was...empty! "That ladies and gentlemen is impressive performance".
Time to take it home for long time test & it sounded fantastic,tremendously fantastic even.It vas like he could take his cello & join the musicians.
Best regards Raimo.
PS:If you have further questions you are welcome.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2007, 08:50 pm »
Thanks Raimo,

It is what I had heard was the outcome - thanks for confirming.

james

Imperial

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2007, 08:54 pm »
Smooth!
There are some in Norway that chose the 14BSST and they report that it is indeed neutral.
7 pages. Ok, does take some hours to write.
Bryston is very popular in the Nordic countries you see Mr Tanner.  :thumb:
I too have heard the 4BST/SST do its work, it is a good amp that one too.
What is the name of the magazine then? Raimo?

Imperial

Raimo

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2007, 09:09 pm »
Smooth!
There are some in Norway that chose the 14BSST and they report that it is indeed neutral.
7 pages. Ok, does take some hours to write.
Bryston is very popular in the Nordic countries you see Mr Tanner.  :thumb:
I too have heard the 4BST/SST do its work, it is a good amp that one too.
What is the name of the magazine then? Raimo?

Imperial

It is called MOLT = Musik & Ljudteknik, Music & Audiotechnique in english.It is a members only magazine for the Ljudtekniska sällskapet,The soundtechnique society in english.You must be a member to get tha magazine,the good thing about it is that there are no ads in the magazine & the rewivers dont have to consider the possibility of angry companies who could quit the adds if they get a bad rewiev,so they write wath they think.
Raimo.
Raimo

Imperial

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2007, 09:17 pm »
Ok. Perhaps those that have this magazine could help Mr Tanner then  :D !
I'm not a member of this magazine or the "club" as it were.
If given a scan or two, I guess I could translate/transliterate the whole thing if that was needed.
But I still would like to read this review, nevertheless!  :hyper:

Hm... http://www.lts.a.se/lts/startLts.html This appears to be the homepage.
You know, I guess I would like to enter the club! This looks like a really good magazine indeed!
Do you think I could be a member even if I'm from Norway Raimo, or is this Gøta only?
You are currently 446 members I see?

Imperial
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2007, 09:35 pm by Imperial »

Raimo

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2007, 09:30 pm »
The reason why it was a bit soft in the highs was among other things the output filter.It was more suited to a singel amp but this was a internally bridged amp.That was the difference between the first & the second amp.It was these things the rewiever & the bryston staff was discussing before they sent the second updated amp for testing.I think it is great that a large company like bryston takes the time to listen to rewievers & customers.
Raimo

Imperial

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2007, 09:42 pm »
The reason why it was a bit soft in the highs was among other things the output filter.It was more suited to a singel amp but this was a internally bridged amp.That was the difference between the first & the second amp.It was these things the rewiever & the bryston staff was discussing before they sent the second updated amp for testing.I think it is great that a large company like bryston takes the time to listen to rewievers & customers.
Raimo

All working for that common goal, the music!  :D
This is not all that common no, that is true.
But as you say, it does pay dividend to listen up when somebody makes a statement that comes out of genuine zest for telling the truth!

Imperial

Raimo

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2007, 09:44 pm »
There should not be a problem to be a member,but i am the wrong guy to ask.
Try the members department at:
ltsregistrator@hotmail.com
Or a letter to: LTS Box 779,12002 Årsta Sweden.
You can buy old copies as well.But it can take some time,nothing goes fast in this society.It is driven by the folks on their sparetime.But it is the best magazine i know.
Raimo

Imperial

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2007, 09:59 pm »
Ok. Will think about it then!
So, what issue was the test in?
I guess you will take the job translating then Raimo?
What better person to do this then a member of the club! 7 small pages, no sweat for a Swede!
I think Mr Tanner wants the whole article translated as close to the standard tech review lingo as one can get it, so he doesn't have to re-write it.

I guess I can always read it on the Bryston home page when you are done!  :thumb:

Imperial

« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2007, 10:21 pm by Imperial »

Raimo

« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2007, 10:09 pm »
It is in issue number 2.2007.
I would like to translate the whole article but my english is not so good,learned it in school,but that is over 20 years ago & i seldom speak or write in english.
But if there is a interest,i could see what i can do.
Raimo.

Imperial

« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2007, 10:15 pm »
It is in issue number 2.2007.
I would like to translate the whole article but my english is not so good,learned it in school,but that is over 20 years ago & i seldom speak or write in english.
But if there is a interest,i could see what i can do.
Raimo.

Well, I could write the 7 pages, all I would need are the scans of the magazine, the test in mention.
Then you could read it for accuracy, and e-mail it to Mr Tanner, when everything checks out nicely!
How does that sound? A co-effort!

Imperial

Raimo

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2007, 10:23 pm »
I just wisited the swedish forum www.faktiskt.se.And mr Öhman the rewiever himself was thinkin about a translation.I think that would be the best idea so nothing is misunderstood.My comments here was just a brief compilation.
Raimo.

Raimo

« Reply #18 on: 11 Aug 2007, 10:25 pm »
I am sorry it should be:
www.faktiskt.se
Raimo.

Imperial

« Reply #19 on: 11 Aug 2007, 10:36 pm »
Yeah, I saw him checking in here on the thread just now.
Ino Audio's founder. Ok, It's a safe bet that this test is pretty much bomb proof  :thumb:!
I do not know of anyone harder to impress than Mr Oehman.
Heck, If he bought the amp, what do you need the translation for Mr Tanner?
I can tell you right now, I do not need to read this test to know its content.
I could translate, Mr Ino Audio could check for errors, or he could translate it himself!
I'm sure I could get it as a text file then!
What ever you dudes decide.
Drop me a PM people on the progress of this matter, I'm game!

Imperial