BDA-3 and HDMI

stereoal

BDA-3 and HDMI
« on: 9 Jun 2018, 08:19 pm »
It's been revealed on this website that the Bryston DAC-3 does not work properly when some blu-ray players are connected to it via HDMI. In some cases, there are loud tics and pops and in my case I've had the unit freeze or lose its sound with Sony and Samsung blu-ray players, presumably because it's losing the bitstream. It's been suggested Denon, Pioneer and some OPPO players work properly, all of which are either no longer in production, are expensive or hard to find. When I purchased this DAC, I assumed it would work with any blu-ray player.

I'm surprised others haven't raised this issue.

I'd like to know if Bryston is planning a software update to correct this problem. It seems like a major flaw to me, unless, of course, there's something wrong with my DAC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-3 and HDMI
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2018, 08:34 pm »
It's been revealed on this website that the Bryston DAC-3 does not work properly when some blu-ray players are connected to it via HDMI. In some cases, there are loud tics and pops and in my case I've had the unit freeze or lose its sound with Sony and Samsung blu-ray players, presumably because it's losing the bitstream. It's been suggested Denon, Pioneer and some OPPO players work properly, all of which are either no longer in production, are expensive or hard to find. When I purchased this DAC, I assumed it would work with any blu-ray player.

I'm surprised others haven't raised this issue.

I'd like to know if Bryston is planning a software update to correct this problem. It seems like a major flaw to me, unless, of course, there's something wrong with my DAC.

Hi Stereoal

We have looked at it with a number of players but so far we have not been able to compensate for players that loss the bitstream.

james

stereoal

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2018, 04:52 am »
Given this apparently unfixable defect that no one seems concerned about except me, can someone explain the advantage of shelling out an extra $800 for a BDA-3 instead of buying a BDA-2?

Grant Hill

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2018, 06:53 am »
Well, the BDA3 has a different (better) dac and plays Dsd (native and Dop)… 

Marius

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2018, 08:45 am »
Hopefully, Bryston will soon adopt a quieter switching, hereby granted being called the 'Dutch switch'  :thumb: :
Re: BDA-3 DAC

but you're right, this should not be happening, and really is an annoying feat on a Dac of this stunning industry leading sound quality. Which it really is.

As a matter of fact the ticking and popping is noted more in this household than the quality of sound already gotten used too... the pops keep popping up on each startup, disc load (and HDMI source change) . Which is kind of frequent indeed. Instructions to volume-up/down only after a green led has locked is too much of a task for this household apparently....

Hope it will be taken care of soon,

Cheers,
Marius

stereoal

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2018, 06:59 am »
Still, the BDA-3's big advantage when it was introduced was its HDMI connections. Readers on this site were told the sound was basically no different that the BDA-2. Unless Bryston is working on solving this issue, I remain disappointed.

Marius

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2018, 08:00 am »
Still, the BDA-3's big advantage when it was introduced was its HDMI connections. Readers on this site were told the sound was basically no different that the BDA-2. Unless Bryston is working on solving this issue, I remain disappointed.

Well, I must admit, coming from a BDA-1, I am totally blown away with the sound of the BDA3. BDA1 certainly is no slough, but this really is another world. World unveiled would be the shortest impression, I am still in the process of writing up all the other adverbs that apply. Simply stunning.

Same goes for the HDMI connections, which is why I wanted it most in the first place. This must be the best HDMI-de-embedder around ;) . Anything hooked-up to it gets a sound facelift beyond imagination. Tv-box, AppleTv, Humax. You name it. No synchronization issues either.

Only to be hampered by the clicking/popping on signal lock and source change. Which, as I wrote here and in the other thread, really happens too often. A machine in this class should pride itself taking care of that somehow, and not point to the other devices.

Also, the 'App' , which one can only find through the BDP. or by scanning one's router, is ludicrously lacking. Since the available BR's cant switch the HDMI inputs, Bryston should, and could of course, create a much better interface to this miracle of a Dac. This simply doesn't suffice.

That being said, I am sad to see it leave today...
In the hope Bryston will take care of the issue before my BD, or at least the Holiday season... ;)

Cheers,
Marius