PS Audio P10 - first impressions

bakufu

PS Audio P10 - first impressions
« on: 18 Aug 2012, 03:33 am »
i received my p10 a few days ago.  it replaces a power regenerator i've been using for the last year, which i shall not name for two reasons:  (i) the problems i encountered with it may have been unique to my particular application, and (ii) the support people worked hard to solve those problems -- alas, without success.  in addition, the unit i had may very well have been buggy, and it's entirely possible that replacing it (an offer made by the manufacturer) would have solved the problems.

the regenerator serves the following components:  a pair of ampzilla 2000 monoblocs, a pair of modwright kwa 100se's, a prism orpheus preamp/dac, an oppo-95 blu-ray player, and a panasonic 42" plasma tv.  my speakers are extremely efficient, so the power draw even at very high playback levels seems to be well within the limits of the 1500 watt maximum capacity of the p10.  the p10 itself is plugged directly into a dedicated 20 amp line.  at listening levels just this side of unbearable, load is around 45%.  and contrary to some reports i've read, the p10 gets warm, but certainly not hot.

i haven't had the unit long enough to evaluate improvements in the sound, although i can say that right out of the box the sound is *at least as good* as what i heard from the previous regenerator after 8 months of hard usage, or directly from the wall outlet (via a wireworld matrix multi-outlet extender). 

best of all, the ampzillas are dead quiet when plugged into the p10.  using the previous regenerator i was unable to dial out an audible and annoying hum.  (to a lesser extent this was also true of the modwrights.)

i've heard that the p10 requires at least a few hundred hours to break in, so i'll reserve final judgement for now, but it certainly feels like a keeper.

my experience with the folks at ps audio has also been very positive.  they answer phone and email promptly, and were able to answer the few technical questions i had for them.  a pleasure to deal with.

« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2012, 04:19 pm by bakufu »

MichaelHiFi

Re: PS Audio P10 - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:59 pm »
I wait your assessment. I to am interested in your experience with the P10. I can only guess that your former unit was a PPP which I currently own. I've had 0 problems with the PPP and it is an essential component in my system.

I'm hopeful to hear your impressions soon.

Cheers.

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2013, 04:00 am »
Sooooo.... Did you keep the P10???

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2013, 09:09 pm »
Impressions?

jostber

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:01 pm »
Any news on this one? :)

jriggy

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2013, 06:20 pm »
It appears the OP has not visited this site since the end of Nov. 2012...