Eminent Technology LFT-8b vs Spatial Audio Sapphire vs X5

RCduck7

Hi, i live in Europe and there isn't dealer of one of these speakers where i live. So, if I'm going to order one of these speakers it is going to be based on sound of youtube videos or recommendations. I already understood the Eminence lft-8b is an absolute bargain. I could get an impression of the Spatial Audio X5 and Sapphires. I slightly love the X5 more through my headphones. But the low price of the lft-8b and the certainty it will have sufficient bass because the woofer is in an enclosure could work for me. Did anyone heard both Eminence and Spatial Audio?

mick wolfe

Re: Eminent Technology LFT-8b vs Spatial Audio Sapphire vs X5
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2021, 03:19 pm »
The Eminent Tech will be significantly less efficient probably requiring a fairly powerful solid state amp. The Spatial's open the door for a wider variety of amplifiers for sure. Unfortunately a case where you actually have to hear the speakers for yourself to make a decision. I don't think I'd base much on a YouTube video. I doubt you could go wrong with either choice especially if you already have an amplifier capable of driving the ET's.

RCduck7

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2021, 04:58 pm »
Power is not a problem, i have a Cherry Golden Marashino class D-amp that is 200 watt into 8 ohms and 400 into 4 ohms... The speakers i have rightnow us the Hyperion sound hps-938. The midrange comes close to the maggies. So I'm not sure they would be a lot better then the speakers I'm intrested in. But i did like the piano sound through the X5 a lot when i heard it.The lft-8b is cheap.

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2021, 05:51 pm »
I would be worried about the following with the LFT-8b:

"The speakers are not beamy horizontally as far as individual driver responses are concerned, but there is “lobing” between the midrange and tweeter on account of the broad overlap in frequency range from the shallow-slope crossovers and the side-by-side placement. (It would be preferable in principle to have two midrange panels on either side of the tweeter, it seems to me, to get a sort of horizontal MTM effect. This would stabilize the imaging.) In any case, the particular configuration here creates some imaging effects that are both not quite correct and also unstable with respect to head movements. You have to be really careful about where you sit and how you angle the speakers to avoid hearing the drivers as separate sources. Beware of careless audition: Exact set-up and exact listener position are crucial here. But if one sets up the speakers ideally—and doesn’t move!—this becomes much less of a problem."

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/eminent-technology-lft-8b-loudspeaker

Sounds like a complete headache to me, and recipe for never being fully satisfied with the sound.  You're not going to have the above problem with the Spatial speakers.

RCduck7

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2021, 07:11 pm »

"The speakers are not beamy horizontally as far as individual driver responses are concerned, but there is “lobing” between the midrange and tweeter on account of the broad overlap in frequency range from the shallow-slope crossovers and the side-by-side placement. (It would be preferable in principle to have two midrange panels on either side of the tweeter, it seems to me, to get a sort of horizontal MTM effect. This would stabilize the imaging.) In any case, the particular configuration here creates some imaging effects that are both not quite correct and also unstable with respect to head movements. You have to be really careful about where you sit and how you angle the speakers to avoid hearing the drivers as separate sources. Beware of careless audition: Exact set-up and exact listener position are crucial here. But if one sets up the speakers ideally—and doesn’t move!—this becomes much less of a problem."

Sounds like a complete headache to me, and recipe for never being fully satisfied with the sound.  You're not going to have the above problem with the Spatial speakers.

I read about that and it is a concern. If i read it right he reversed the phase of the woofer. My current speakers benefit also when reversing the midrange unit.

Stimpy

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2021, 07:33 pm »

I've read from current 8B owners, that modern production speakers don't exhibit any phase issues.  The problems noted in that 2014 The Absolute Sound review were resolved long ago.

Jan_Mc

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm »
Ah, I was thinking of asking this exact question.  Too bad nobody had an answer.  Perhaps a bump will get some new input.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2021, 10:37 pm »
Many years ago I have heard an Eminence 3 ways planar model,
it was really a unpleasant speaker, even worst that the ML Aerious,
not recommended imo.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2021, 04:55 am »
The closest I can do is offer that I've heard the older Spatial M3 Turbo S, and I used to own the LFT8-B.  Because I have no way of giving any sort of comparison on the top end comparing the LFT8-B to the current X5 or Sapphires which from all accounts are in a very different and higher league than the older Spatials I heard, what I can say is that in the low end the Spatials bested the LFT-8B in every way I can think of.  The LFT8-B had nice tuneful albeit boxed bass (open baffle bass is a very different thing), but they fall off like a rock at about 80Hz so there really isn't much there to speak of. 

If I had it to do  again, I wouldn't run the LFT8-B without a subwoofer or two, but I could comfortably live the with Spatials without a sub if I had to.

I hope that helps!

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2021, 05:37 pm »
Have you considered Magnepans?  For the amount of money you could probably get 1.7i and add a subwoofer.  Disclaimer I own a pair on 1.7is and could be considered very biased.  I use a subwoofer swarm below 40hz.  Had a pair of Magnepan MMG and Martin Logan Claritys side by side and playing at the same time last year.  After a year of continuous use, the Maggies stayed and the MLs were given away to drummer buddy.  The Magnepans have a smooth response from top to bottom and a outstanding midrange.

VinceT

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2021, 08:41 pm »
Are the ET LFT-8's that good?

I have been considering Spatial, some of the GR NX series; even box speakers like the Fritz offerings. I ran across the ET LFT8's and the sound very interesting paired with some good subs. There have been some mixed reviews on them, are they still very fussy with placement and do they suffer from a small sweet spot?

eduke55

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm »
I have owned the LFT-8bs and I think they are a great bargain at their price. Yes, they should have a good 100watt amp and in larger rooms depending on your music tastes for bass, you will need a subwoofer or two. I would also recommend bi-wiring if looking to get the last ounce of goodness from them. There are very few speakers in their price range that can match them in from 200-20,000hz. Vocals, particularly female voices sound incredible. They can play loud enough if the room is not to large. Bass response is better when bi-wired. Replace them with speakers  over four time more expensive and honestly they are not four times better!

VinceT

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2021, 02:00 am »
I have owned the LFT-8bs and I think they are a great bargain at their price. Yes, they should have a good 100watt amp and in larger rooms depending on your music tastes for bass, you will need a subwoofer or two. I would also recommend bi-wiring if looking to get the last ounce of goodness from them. There are very few speakers in their price range that can match them in from 200-20,000hz. Vocals, particularly female voices sound incredible. They can play loud enough if the room is not to large. Bass response is better when bi-wired. Replace them with speakers  over four time more expensive and honestly they are not four times better!

Thanks Eduke55 for the reply

I have a good size room 34x20, I am concerned about the low efficency with my size room. I would have to throw some serious power at them. I also read people used OB servo subs for the lows below180hz and disconnect the woofer with great success. I already have two decent sealed subs for the back of the room.  But that being said after all of that, I think I would hard pressed to do better for the money. I have not had a chance to hear them yet.

eduke55

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2021, 02:13 pm »
Try reaching out to Bruce Thigpen. I have found him a very forthright person. Go to site for telephone and email.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2021, 03:51 pm »

VinceT

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2021, 05:50 pm »
Tnx all

I have been all over his site, I have read all the reviews and still going through all the forums and online posts. These are definitely on my shortlist when I upgrade.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2021, 12:08 am »
There have been some mixed reviews on them, are they still very fussy with placement and do they suffer from a small sweet spot?

I didn't find them any more fussy than any other planar speaker to place when I had them, and for what it is worth, I had the best success slightly angling the speaker back by raising/spiking up the front of the speaker to open up the sound/add some more spaciousness I didn't get when they were level front to back.

In my instance, they did have a pretty small sweet spot (and even more so vertically; you really need to be seated in the middle vertically of the tweeters; they dropped off like a rock when listened too at all off axis) but what you got in that sweet spot for the frequency range of the midrange and tweeter was really, really good.

Also, the power specs from the manual were pretty spot on in my experience in terms of maximizing performance.  200wpc solid state with a lot of current drive had them playing nicely.

VinceT

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2021, 01:45 am »
I didn't find them any more fussy than any other planar speaker to place when I had them, and for what it is worth, I had the best success slightly angling the speaker back by raising/spiking up the front of the speaker to open up the sound/add some more spaciousness I didn't get when they were level front to back.

In my instance, they did have a pretty small sweet spot (and even more so vertically; you really need to be seated in the middle vertically of the tweeters; they dropped off like a rock when listened too at all off axis) but what you got in that sweet spot for the frequency range of the midrange and tweeter was really, really good.

Also, the power specs from the manual were pretty spot on in my experience in terms of maximizing performance.  200wpc solid state with a lot of current drive had them playing nicely.

I know all rooms and set ups are different and people have different experiences. Little concerned about the horizontal and vertical sweet spot because we have couches and very high 20 foot ceilings in our listening area. How big would you say the sweet spot was in your case? I have some 2 way monitors now and it sounds pretty good even off axis so the family can all enjoy the music.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2021, 01:06 pm »
That's a pretty big room.
What is your price range?

VinceT

« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2021, 02:45 pm »
That's a pretty big room.
What is your price range?

That is a good question. I need to do other upgrades as well, so not looking to splurge on speakers just yet. The ET LFT8 sound like they would be great, but maybe with the small sweet spot, the speakers would go unappreciated with the rest of the family since my room is a combined 2 ch /HT situation. I am also looking at some line array type speakers l, that might also be a good for for my room if I can get WAF on board.