Cutting The Cable Cord and Streaming With Airplay Good Idea?

rodge827

Hi Apple Core folks hoping you can help answer this question.

So my much better half and I were discussing getting rid of Comcast Cable and streaming via Airplay to our TV. The TV is a Sony OLED A8 and has Airplay capability which we use at times to stream videos from our phones. We have a triple play package, TV, Internet, and Landline phone which is never used anymore. The thought was to go to an unlimited plan for our phones, pick up an iPad or Macbook (since we need a new laptop anyway). Use one of the phones or iPad as a hot spot and stream apps to the TV and use some of the internal apps on the TV.

Anyone try this? Success? Drawbacks?

TIA

Chris 

Craig B

Re: Cutting The Cable Cord and Streaming With Airplay Good Idea?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2021, 01:31 pm »
Are you talking about using that setup for watching TV and movies, or for music reproduction?

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2021, 01:46 pm »
TV/movie viewing...I have a dedicated 2 channel room

Thanks

Shives

• I like French fries
It’s been longer then 30 days but I’m going to try and answer this for folks that see it.

1. Depending on your AVR or setup, yes you can stream wirelessly to your devices. Couple things tho!

Share your Internet! I’ve tried this, and it’s not a good solution! I would still keep basic TV service with Internet and get rid of the rest! You really need like 100mb down for streaming and normally use! Yes, you can get away with 20-50mbps but that will surly slow you down, sealing between movies and such will be slower. I’ve tried the phone which is also capped in some cases for sharing its Internet. But 50 was annoying but worked, 100 was better but still had its slow downs. I’m at 200 now, and feel it’s really decent.

Streaming videos from your phone will also cap the resolution it can provide.

You can use a laptop or phone that’s connected always to your TV or AVR.

Suggestion. Get rid of the Tripple pocket ripping they are doing. Go with basic TV like 10 channels and internet. This will lower your cost! Where are you? I would also purchase your modem and router! Don’t use the company crap! It’s watered down, locked and in most cases sub-par. Netgear makes a great CM500 or 750. As well, I’m using the Netgear mesh system, the 4 gig version (6 gig is not even around and 4 gig tranfwr is super fast) my internet has never been better. But you can use what ever product you wish.

That setup will help you save money, as well allow you to use different services without hassle. As well, purchase one items.. A Amazon Fire TV cube (newest version only) or Apple TV. I would go cube, so you can easy install things like Cinema, Kodi and more for “testing purpose”  lol.

With that setup you’ll be able to stream music, video and do a lot more while spending a lot less.

If anyone need help or suggestions setting up, trimming down or what not, feel free to message me! Located in New England area for now. Happy to help the good people of this forum!

EightSixEight

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2021, 03:23 am »
I have something relatively similar: Unlimited bandwidth via COX, an Internet TV provider via Philo, and my own DVR set-up (for catching up with shows, recording them and skipping commercials) via Channels App.

I enjoy my set-up, but it's not any cheaper overall than a triple or double-play. The cost of hight speed unlimited bandwidth is outrageous in the US.