Terrible accident

Luis B

Terrible accident
« on: 8 Nov 2021, 02:46 pm »
Hello, I’m the owner of the original Vapor Joule1 thar was at RMAF 2012.   

. Yesterday, I don’t know how one of the

70-20X Raal Twitters simply was destroyed.

[img]https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=231860[/img
I don’t know what to do since this the model that they don’t sell to customers and that requires a non disclosure agreement. i don’t know what to do. Maybe Ed Ro do you have some advice? Or somebody knows how can I get in touch with Peter Shumacher? Thank you very much, Luis Barrios.

Phil A

Re: Terrible accident
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2021, 03:21 pm »
Don't know if the info helps:

http://www.raalribbon.com/products_flatfoil_70-20xr.htm

US Raal Distributor - https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/welcome.php  can contact them about replacements available, if any.

dpatters

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2021, 03:28 pm »
It’s a standard off the shelf replacement. Vapor doesn’t exist any longer as far as I can tell.

Don P.

Luis B

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2021, 03:34 pm »
Thank you very much, Phil and Don.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2021, 03:56 pm »
Looks like all you need is a new ribbon.

You could either do it yourself (look on YouTube for an instructional video) or find someone to do it for you.

I’d recommend replacing both ribbons while your at it.

Keeping the same speaker for nearly 10 years, and you call yourself an audiophile! 😂 I am making a joke of course!

Hope you get them up and running soon so you can get back to enjoying the music.

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2021, 03:59 pm »
I second contacting Madisound. They have been selling speakers for a long time, and offering services as well.

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2021, 04:29 pm »
No biggie, madisound can repair them and they won't care about the OEM version. They might have to order the ribbon. I second replacing them both, as the other could be bent also which will affect the tone.

Don't know if this applies to you, but low power amps that current clip into low impedance dips will send the ugly clipped waveform with high frequency dissonant harmonics to the speaker, and the high pass filter does pass the distorted high frequencies to the tweeter. Such a signal is so distorted that it's impossible for the ribbon to follow, but the high power signal insists and it's easy to bend or tear the ribbon element. It's only 0.001" soft aluminum.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2021, 04:44 pm »

Keeping the same speaker for nearly 10 years, and you call yourself an audiophile! 😂 I am making a joke of course!

:green: :lol:  I think I have my main speakers about 12 years and in one of my secondary systems, which I basically use for my UHD system, I have the (B&W P6) main speakers for 24 years.  Pics below.  I tend to rotate components when I upgrade vs. change the speakers.  Speakers seem to be a bit harder to sell and they also are the last thing in the chain of reproduction of the music and usually improving the electronics, measuring and treating the room, etc., seems to make a nice difference.  Yes I do look at speakers for sale locally more so and regularly visit hifishark.com to look for things.  Just upgraded the amp (and USB cable) in the main system and moved the old amp from the main system, a preamp I had sitting in the UHD system (I had formerly used the HT Bypass on the preamp but converted the system to (more strictly) HT and bought a used DAC (from a hifishark search) for that other secondary system.  I have more systems than the pics below :o

dpatters

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2021, 04:51 pm »
Lots of good advice as always. I’m still loving my Vapor Joule Black. I commissioned them, and had Ryan show them at RMAF 2014.

Don P.

genjamon

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2021, 05:49 pm »
Don, I didn’t realize yours were the ones at 2014 RMAF. That was one of two years I was able to attend. Those Joules were probably my favorite sound at the whole show. If I recall they had them driven by some really nice Allnic electronics, which probably had something to do with the sound too. But man that sound didn’t want for anything. Congrats on having, and having enjoyed for some long, such wonderful speakers.

Ron D

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2021, 06:28 pm »
I concur that both tweeters should be replaced though you might want to give some thought to what is the root cause of the failure. It might just be age/wear & tear but what if the failure is due to an issue with the x-over? They look like drivers easy enough to change yourself and they could be expensive, I have no idea. If you swap in a new one and the failure was due to an issue with the x-over you may just damage the new unit. I am about as far away from a x-over expert as you'll ever meet so I may well be out in left field here..

dpatters

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2021, 07:21 pm »
Don, I didn’t realize yours were the ones at 2014 RMAF. That was one of two years I was able to attend. Those Joules were probably my favorite sound at the whole show. If I recall they had them driven by some really nice Allnic electronics, which probably had something to do with the sound too. But man that sound didn’t want for anything. Congrats on having, and having enjoyed for some long, such wonderful speakers.
Thanks!  They are awesome. Best audio purchase I ever made.

bajaed

« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2021, 07:37 pm »
Not a huge deal. I had a ribbon tear twice when I had my Vapors. You can order them from Madisound, call to see if they are in stock. My local repair shop did the labor for cheap but there are videos online and you could probably do it.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2021, 07:59 pm »
Pretty simple to swap ribbons — they break easily. The replcement ribbons should be readily available.

Usually happens because an amp thta does not clip nicely is turned up too loud, or some large more or less instantaneous surge thru the system

It might be a good idea to replace both ribbons.

dave

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2021, 10:32 pm »
It looks like you'll need (probably) a tamper proof T20 Torx bit and then it's unscrew the old, two leads to disconnect and out it comes and into the garbage it goes.

bajaed

« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2021, 12:01 am »
And a hair dryer or heat source. Don't overdo it.

EdRo

« Reply #16 on: 9 Nov 2021, 04:35 pm »
Hi Louis B!
     Sorry to hear about your accident. I do remember RAALS needing repair, and that it's a relatively easy fix. So all is not lost. I'll get do my best to get ahold of Pete or Ryan and see what the procedure might be. Those are some beautiful speakers you have. We gotta have them sounding their best.

Ed Rosenquist
Norse Audio Technologies/Vapor