A couple of questions about the timepiece

Daemon

« on: 4 Jun 2006, 12:20 pm »
Hello guys, I have a couple of questions about the SP Tech speakers.

Are either of the drivers in the timepiece suspended by that nasty foam stuff that disintegrates fairly rapidly and expensively in the Australian climate (like it does in my poor old ARs; I have a couple of boxes of dead Teledyne AR drivers)?

Why do the specs for the contimuum (I think that's what the d'appolito looking model is called), give it a lesser bass response than the timepiece?

Could any of you that have heard both the contimuum and the timepiece give me your impressions of the difference in sound? Is it comensurate with the difference in price?

How yuchy is the studio finnish? Is it nasty or is it tolerabley OK? (I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile sacrifice to try and squeeze some more value out of the execrable Ausi dollar).

If you don't take the Cardas option, what do they have for binding posts?

How is the wave guide thingy different from the bit of horn loading so many other manufaturers use when they put their tweeters in a dimple (not suggesting that it isn't different, just that I don't get it)?

That's probably more than enough for a start.

Thanks for taking the time people.

Double Ugly

Re: A couple of questions about the timepiece
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2006, 02:03 pm »
Quote from: Daemon
How yuchy is the studio finnish? Is it nasty or is it tolerabley OK? (I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile sacrifice to try and squeeze some more value out of the execrable Ausi dollar).

Yuchy?  :o

Obviously that's a taste/perspective thing, but I actually like it better in some ways than the 'premium' finish on my 2.0s, as does my wife.  

For frame of reference, we didn't hesitate to put them in our living room.  

Click here to see a larger version of the front, and here for a shot of the backside.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2006, 02:10 pm »
I too think the studio finish is quite attractive. It is a high quality finish and not some spray paint from Wally World. As DU mentioned, it is a preference thing.

Keep in mind that the Timepieces mentioned above have different drivers in them. The pair with the studio finish has the upgraded woofer option which I believe looks much better with either finish. Again, personal preferences.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2006, 02:29 pm »
The studio finish looks even nicer than DU's picture, IMO.  No offense, DU :)

Double Ugly

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2006, 02:35 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
Keep in mind that the Timepieces mentioned above have different drivers in them. The pair with the studio finish has the upgraded woofer option which I believe looks much better with either finish.

I also think the new woofers look better, especially with the studio finish.  

They sound better, too...which is something I honestly didn't expect.

Quote from: ooheadsoo
The studio finish looks even nicer than DU's picture, IMO.  No offense, DU :)

None taken.  I almost posted the same thing moments ago myself.  :thumb:

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2006, 09:38 pm »
I guess I'll be the only one to disagree about the studio finish... I think it's very utilitarian and therfore 'tolerable' but not what I'd call 'desirable'.

I have a pair on demo and if I decide to buy a pair, I'll order the standard veneer... but that's me.  I like nice finishes on everything, regardless of whether it makes sound or not. ;)

-C

Daemon

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2006, 11:03 pm »
OK, so the studio finnish is matt black everywhere, the premium finnish is matt black everywhere but the front, where it's shiny, and the other finnishes involve veneer over the sides, but not front and back. Definitely think I might have a WAF issue regarding juxtoposition with her teak furniture and assorted objets d'art (all of which resonate  :roll: ). However, if she can cuddle them and decide they do violin right, she'll cope.

Jim, is one of those timepiece on your back side pic, fitted with the standard binding posts, and the other with the Cardas?

brj

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2006, 12:04 am »
Definitely think I might have a WAF issue regarding juxtoposition with her teak furniture and assorted objets d'art (all of which resonate  :roll: ). However, if she can cuddle them and decide they do violin right, she'll cope.

Flat cut teak appears to be one of the mid-grade veneer options.... although I have no idea how that might affect the "cuddle" factor!  :o

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2006, 12:33 am »
OK, so the studio finnish is matt black everywhere, the premium finnish is matt black everywhere but the front, where it's shiny, and the other finnishes involve veneer over the sides, but not front and back.

Not quite.

It is difficult to find on the SP Tech website, but  this will take you to the .pdf that lists the following -
    Studio Finish:
    *SemiGloss Back Texture Paint On Front & Back Panel – and/or
    black WilsonArt Laminate on SidePanel Surfaces.

Standard Finish:
    *SemiGloss Black Texture Paint On Front Panel.
    *Choice of Five (5) Veneer Species on Side Walls w/ Satin Finish.
    *Cardas Binding Post & Wire Upgrade Included @ No Charge.
    *Sonicap Upgrade included @ No Charge.

Custom Finish:
    *Hardwood Front Panel in Choice of Five (5) Species w/ Satin Finish.
    *Choice of Five (5) Veneer Species on Side Walls w/ Satin Finish.

Premier Finish:
    *Hardwood Front Panel in Species of Choice (Depending upon availability – may incur surcharge at market price) w/ MirrorGloss Finish – or…
    *Choice of Piano Lacquer (paint) MirrorGloss Finish on Front Panel.
    *Choice of Veneer on Side Panels (many exotic species available) w/ MirrorGloss Finish – or…
    *Choice of Piano Lacquer (paint) MirrorGloss Finish on Side Panels.
    *SEAS “Excel” Woofer upgrade included @ No Charge

Standard Hardwood & Veneer Species: Natural Cherry, Maple, Oak, Walnut and Mahogany.

Cardas Upgrade: Includes Two (2) Sets of Dual, Gold Plated Cardas Binding Posts per enclosure for biwiring or passive biamplification & Cardas “Litz” Wire to Tweeter From Crossover.[/list:u]
    And FWIW, to my ears and (more importantly) those of my very discriminating, classically trained wife, the SP Techs will most certainly "do violin right", provided the supporting equipment and recording allow it.

Jim, is one of those timepiece on your back side pic, fitted with the standard binding posts, and the other with the Cardas?

The Timepiece 2.0 pictured is almost 3 years old, so I can't say with any certainty that what you see is still the "standard" binding post.  But yes, the 2.1s are fitted with the Cardas posts.

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
    « Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2006, 02:15 am »

Are either of the drivers in the timepiece suspended by that nasty foam stuff that disintegrates fairly rapidly and expensively in the Australian climate

No, the surround is made of rubber (probably synthetic, I am not sure) and won't rot (at least not in ten, twenty years...).

I am not a fan of the studio finish, either. I'll post a picture of my Timepiece 2.1, in piano lacquer top to toe, later.

That said, you won't be looking at the speakers themselves too often when you're listening to the music, because all the instrumens/vocals are coming from behind/beyond the speakers :o

Even if you end up not really liking the finish you get, just cover the speaker with a piece of green velvet--it improves the sound  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
    « Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2006, 02:23 am »
    Not a great photo....but these are my "older" TP2's.....
      [/list:u]
        Gloss front....aluminum woofer... (and Sergio inspecting):wink: [/list:u]

ooheadsoo

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2006, 03:24 am »
      There is a semi-gloss sheen on the fine pebbly texture, which is what I think sets it apart from a purely utilitarian finish like you see on pro audio or sound reinforcement gear.  The fine texture is also different from the rough texture you usually get on gear.

Christof

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2006, 12:01 pm »
      Daemon

You might find happy medium with veneered sides and studio finished baffles on the Timepieces.  I cannot comment on the specifics of price difference but going with studio finish on baffles must help reduce the price a bit since creating the gloss waveguides is a tremendous amount of labor.  As a woodworker myself I am partial to the use of wood over synthetic materials.  However, after having seen the entire line of studio finished cabinets in Bob's shop, I could live with studio baffles, comfortably without regret.  There is a nice aesthetic synergy that happens when the studio finish and the copper phase plugs in the Seas drivers are coupled.

-christof

Daemon

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2006, 01:45 am »
      Just for those giggling at the thought of my wife cuddling the speaker: She's a concert violinist, and has this strange thing whereby she likes to hold a speaker to her collar bone whilst playing a violing piece. She claims she gets the feel of the thing through her bones, like a real violin. Personally, I find it a tad bizzare and the first time I came home to find her waltzing around the lounge with an AR in her grasp, I nearly had a kitten; oh well.  It's even stranger when she's been to HiFi shops with me to audition floor standers: She's been seen to do a wierd pole dance thing on them, to get the positioning right; very entertaining and perhaps a bit worrying for the sales staff  :lol:

Any opinion on the Contimuum vs the Timepiece and the Contimuum's higher bass floor on paper?

Double Ugly

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2006, 02:42 am »
      JAny opinion on the Contimuum vs the Timepiece and the Contimuum's higher bass floor on paper?

I'm not sure anyone is familiar enough with the two speakers to offer an informed reply to your first question.  In fact, I'm not sure anyone outside the SP Tech facility has heard the latest iteration of each, but I hope someone will prove me wrong.  

As for your second question, Bob has addressed it before, but I can't find the post.  Bob has temporarily sequestered himself to work on a very important project, but I'm making every effort to secure the answers you seek.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2006, 04:51 am »
      Daemon :
      It's even stranger when she's been to HiFi shops with me to audition floor standers: She's been seen to do a wierd pole dance thing on them, to get the positioning right; very entertaining and perhaps a bit worrying for the sales staff  
      ...... :o .....Got any pictures ? :lol:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2006, 05:15 am »
      Very interesting...I'm no pro string player, but I do play a couple of them, and what they sound like when you're playing them and what they sound like from 3 ft away vs. 10 ft. away vs. 20 ft. away etc sound completely different.  So I really don't actually know what I'm listening for as a player :o  I have no idea what the point of what I just said is.   :|  Maybe DU or lonewolf can tell us if the timepiece cabinets actually resonate enough to tell us anything  :idea:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2006, 05:20 am »
      Maybe DU or lonewolf can tell us if the timepiece cabinets actually resonate enough to tell us anything
        Their solid as a rock....you'll feel nothing.[/list:u]
          But I do like to watch the woofer move....at high volume...nice..... 8) [/list:u]

ooheadsoo

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2006, 05:28 am »
      That's what I thought  :P

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2006, 05:33 am »
      oooheadsoo....What kit do you have ? I see you've been looking for Bob for some answer's....I'm guessing at that..... :?