How many parallel outputs doable on the Clarinet??

SoundBound

How many parallel outputs doable on the Clarinet??
« on: 26 Jul 2011, 11:54 pm »
I am looking slowly to start my clarinet project, got most of the parts together.   I was looking at doing multiple outputs on the unit, 3-4 in parallel (main out, sub out, PC ADC, plus one more).  Any one have any experience with this?  Bad idea, too many or is will it be ok?  I am thinking that the design of the pre can take it but not sure.
Thanks for any hints.
Rick

poty

Re: How many parallel outputs doable on the Clarinet??
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2011, 10:19 am »
In my opinion - it is wrong way of doing things. Chances are very small that you will use all the outputs at once, but connecting many devices to the single output bus raises many questions about combined input impedance of the bunch, ground pollution and so on. Even existing 2 outputs are not very useful, taking into consideration absence of filtering for sub.
In my opinion the best way - use some kind of switching the outputs (including grounds).

Brinkman

Re: How many parallel outputs doable on the Clarinet??
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:32 am »
I asked Jim about this about a year or so back and he thought a parallel sub-out would be fine. In accordance with Poty's point about filtering, I suppose an active crossover or a powered subwoofer with an adjustable low-pass filter would be best.

As for the main out, I feel your pain. I have both a vintage solid state Marantz and a modified Dynakit ST-70 tube amp that I would like to leave hooked up to the Clarinet. The Marantz is twice as loud as my ST-70, so which amp gets used depends on the sort of listening or viewing I would like to do. In this respect I've been considering wiring a switch between the two RCA pairs.