Sig 30.2 LFP-V with stereo subs - connection question

tlarwa

I've always used speaker level connections for my subs, but with the variable outputs on the 30.2 integrated, I'm thinking that's the way to go.  Do I just run 2 subwoofer cables, one to each plate amp, from the left and right variable outputs? 
If I wanted to use speaker level connections, is it okay to do so since I'll be using 2 subs?  One set of hook-up wires from the right channel speaker outputs and the other from the left (obviously).  I realize this would be a fixed volume scenario controlled by the plate amp volume control.
Thanks,
Tom

tlarwa

Re: Sig 30.2 LFP-V with stereo subs - connection question
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm »
Anyone?  I need to know if I should go buy some sub cables!

srb

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2016, 11:08 pm »
Do I just run 2 subwoofer cables, one to each plate amp, from the left and right variable outputs?
Yes.

If I wanted to use speaker level connections, is it okay to do so since I'll be using 2 subs?  One set of hook-up wires from the right channel speaker outputs and the other from the left (obviously).  I realize this would be a fixed volume scenario controlled by the plate amp volume control.

Yes.  The speaker outputs are not fixed (!?) and are controlled by your amplifier volume control, as are the variable pre-outs.

Steve

tlarwa

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2016, 12:47 am »
Yes.

Yes.  The speaker outputs are not fixed (!?) and are controlled by your amplifier volume control, as are the variable pre-outs.

Steve

I didn't realize that.  If the speaker level outputs are variable, then what is the benefit of using the low level outputs?  I've always used speaker level outputs for my subs ... maybe I should continue to do so?

srb

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2016, 01:52 am »
REL subwoofers have both line-level and high-level speaker inputs and they recommend using the high-level speaker input as the preferred input (or both if using with a stereo preamp and a home theater processor - most REL models have dual level controls, one for each input type).

On the other hand, not all subwoofers have as high an input impedance or as high quality electronics as the RELs and some could possibly have a small negative effect on the main speaker sound quality using the high-level speaker inputs.

Some users that have a preamp with only one set of variable pre-outs (that go to a separate power amplifier) sometimes use a Y-adapter to split the signal between the power amp and subwoofers.  In that scenario because two inputs are combined in parallel, the input impedance that the preamp sees is reduced, and some might find the speaker level inputs sound better.

In your case with an integrated amplifier with preamp outputs, or for those that have a preamp with two pairs of buffered (isolated) preamp outputs, there is no additional loading on the preamp stage.  One could also argue that when using line-level outputs the signal is going through less electronics or amplifier stages, i.e. a possibly purer signal.

I usually use line-level inputs when possible (I've never had an REL subwoofer), but each system is different and it's hard to say that one method is superior over the other, particularly with such a wide variable as subwoofer electronics.

Steve

tlarwa

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2016, 02:14 am »
Thanks, Steve.  One last question, if you don't mind... if I go the low level route, should I run a single cable to each sub plate amp (plugged into the amp's positive jack) or use a Y-splitter so that it's connected to both the amp's channels? 

srb

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2016, 02:40 am »
You generally do not want to sum L/R outputs of a preamp together - depending on the circuit design, the results could range from negligible to distorted (to disastrous?).

If your crossover frequency is sufficiently low, say 80Hz or less, you shouldn't be able to detect localization too much yet you can still have some localization with certain program material that has deliberate instances of lower bass in one channel only.

Steve

tlarwa

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2016, 02:48 am »
Thanks again.  Since I'll be running two subs I'll let them run mono.