Auralic Aries Mini: Hit a wall trying to setup Lightning DS

Wind Chaser

I've been following this *almost excellent tutorial* on youtube and I ran into a problem...

On the “Setup Lightning Device” screen

It says... “We Can’t Update Your Device...”

“Your device is locked by our update system. Please contact your dealer for detailed information.”

I called my dealer, but he doesn't know WTF is up with that; so he tried calling Aurelic but no one is answering the phone today.

Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Auralic Aries Mini: Hit a wall trying to setup Lightning DS
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2017, 11:36 pm »
You may get a more meaningful reply, including from Xuanqian (the main guy) at the Auralic forum:
https://community.auralic.com/c/support

Or email Auralic support directly:  support@auralic.com

......Peter

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:17 am »
Thanks, Peter. I had previously sent a message to the Auralic support team and I got an automated response, but nothing more. Hopefully they will get back to me by tomorrow. :(

Broady

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:19 am »
I had that with my first Auralic Mini. It turned out that the device wasn‘t brand new and already had been registered by another person with another eMail address.

I solved the problem by fetching a new unit from my dealer.

Of course there could be other reasons why a device seems to be locked by Auralic update system. Maybe something simple like a wrong entry in the serial numbers database. Please keep us informed.

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:30 am »
At what point in the setup process did it lock up?  Did this happen in the initial setup of the device. If all else fails do a hard reset back to factory settings and start over.  It appears to be trying to update the software and firmware from the initial factory settings which could vary depending on how long the device has been in inventory.  If it is not registered with the Support system probably won't allow a firmware update.  I've had an Aries and a Mini for well over a year and haven't seen that message before. 

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:32 am »
Even if it has be registered before you can change the owner and e-mail and have it assigned to you.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:34 am »
I had that with my first Auralic Mini. It turned out that the device wasn‘t brand new and already had been registered by another person with another eMail address.

Holy crap, that's not cool. Mine was in a sealed carton and there wasn't anything about it to suggest it had been previously used.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:40 am »
Did this happen in the initial setup of the device. ... If it is not registered with the Support system probably won't allow a firmware update.

During initial setup. Now that you mention it, I did not register it. Perhaps that is the problem? I'll have to look into later, we're heading out for dinner now.

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:42 am »
Holy crap, that's not cool. Mine was in a sealed carton and there wasn't anything about it to suggest it had been previously used.
I've seen the first thing Auralic does, if it has an internet connection, is try to update with the latest firmware (it's Linux). Perhaps it started and couldn't finish writing the update or was interrupted, leaving it in an unknown state. Xuanqian will respond soon and he can get you out of the woods. He helped me out a few weeks ago, right in the middle of RMAF, and was eager to find a solution despite everything going on there.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2017, 06:11 am »
Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I'm sure this will be sorted out within the next 24 hours.

JackD

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2017, 06:19 am »
Try pulling the power cord on the Mini and letting it start over in case the IP connection was interrupted like Tom said. Let it sit for a couple of minutes before you plug it back in.  I have had to do that on occasions when Comcast/Xfinity was having issues.  Then you should be able to start over while traffic is slower. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2017, 06:40 pm »
Okay guys, thanks for all the help. After several attempts (9 or 10) I was able to get the Mini updated. Now it wants to add a music library with the option to either: add an existing library, or set up a new library. This seems to be an essential step to completing the Setup.

I didn't know I was required to have a library. I was under the impression that this device could stream internet radio and Tidal. That was my intent. But I'm not going to subscribe to Tidal until I get this thing working.

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2017, 07:53 pm »
Okay guys, thanks for all the help. After several attempts (9 or 10) I was able to get the Mini updated. Now it wants to add a music library with the option to either: add an existing library, or set up a new library. This seems to be an essential step to completing the Setup.

I didn't know I was required to have a library. I was under the impression that this device could stream internet radio and Tidal. That was my intent. But I'm not going to subscribe to Tidal until I get this thing working.
If it doesn't have a hard drive inside, just plug in a USB stick with a couple files on it. It will find those and set up the lightning server for you.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2017, 08:11 pm »
Okay, success! I'm streaming internet radio stations from around the globe. And it looks like there are a lot to choose from. :thumb:

Apparently you don't need to set up a library; which is good, as I don't see the point of ripping ones music collection when you can lease everything and anything through Tidal.

And speaking of Tidal, at $20 a month that's a pretty good deal considering it's gives you access to a catalog of 50,000,000 titles/songs.

Thank you Tom, Jack, Peter and Broady for all your help.

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2017, 08:19 pm »
Okay, success! I'm streaming internet radio stations from around the globe. And it looks like there are a lot to choose from. :thumb:

Apparently you don't need to set up a library; which is good, as I don't see the point of ripping ones music collection when you can lease everything and anything through Tidal.

And speaking of Tidal, at $20 a month that's a pretty good deal considering it's gives you access to a catalog of 50,000,000 titles/songs.

Thank you Tom, Jack, Peter and Broady for all your help.
:thumb: