When will the BP6 & 26 get the Cubed treatment

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: When will the BP6 & 26 get the Cubed treatment
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jan 2019, 11:00 am »
Hi James

Do you sell a longer power cable that connects the BP-26 and the MPS-2  so the MPS-2 can be placed further away or on a different shelf?

I'm getting a BP-26 for my son, and he asked me.

We do the cords in house so ask Mike Pickett and I think he could do a custom length for you.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #41 on: 27 Jan 2019, 04:07 pm »
Thanks, James.

George

R. Daneel

« Reply #42 on: 3 Feb 2019, 11:05 am »
Hi James!

What products will this new preamp be replacing? Both the BP-6 and BP-26? Are there going to be two versions - a single-ended and a balanced one or just one balanced version?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 3 Feb 2019, 11:14 am »
Hi James!

What products will this new preamp be replacing? Both the BP-6 and BP-26? Are there going to be two versions - a single-ended and a balanced one or just one balanced version?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I do not think it will replace the others as it is really a combination of the BP-26 analog capabilities with the BDA-3 DAC capabilities.

It will have both analog balanced and single ended inputs and outputs as well as many digital inputs.

james
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2019, 01:43 pm by James Tanner »

R. Daneel

« Reply #44 on: 3 Feb 2019, 01:25 pm »
Hi Antun

I do not think it will replace the others as it is really a combination of the BP-26 analog capabilities withe the BDA-3 DAC capabilities.

It will have both analog balanced and single ended inputs and outputs as well as many digital inputs.

james

Excellent! Thank you James!

Cheers!
Antun

bacmsl

« Reply #45 on: 3 Feb 2019, 01:42 pm »
So do you think this newer pre will have an analog front end, and will it be in a 2 component or a single component concept?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 3 Feb 2019, 01:44 pm »
So do you think this newer pre will have an analog front end, and will it be in a 2 component or a single component concept?

Analog inputs and outputs as well as digital. Single component.

james

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #47 on: 4 Feb 2019, 01:10 am »
So it really will be nothing like the device it is replacing ....................................... ....................................... . ....................................... ....................................... .
....................................... ....................................... .
....................................... ....................................... .
"you don't know what you've got till it's gone..."
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2019, 03:06 am by Elizabeth »

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #48 on: 4 Feb 2019, 02:01 am »
Sounds as if the BP-26 days are numbered.

klao

« Reply #49 on: 4 Feb 2019, 12:07 pm »
Three XLR inputs, please.  :P

If one of the 3 XLR inputs can be setup for HT/bypass, it would be great too.

Also, 2 sets of XLR outputs would fit my use in running the Maggies full range + one pair of stereo subs at below 40Hz.

Now, I should wait for this new Bryston analog preamp/DAC for upgrading my Aesthetix Calypso tube preamp & Bryston BDA-1 DAC.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #50 on: 4 Feb 2019, 07:26 pm »
Sounds as if the BP-26 days are numbered.

...the 26 has been around for many, many years - around 12 in the meantime i guess??!!

al.

Elizabeth

« Reply #51 on: 4 Feb 2019, 07:46 pm »
Before the 26 was the same device called 25.. and before that was (i believe) the 20...
Like the amp 4B then 4B -st sst sst² then cubed.There may have been at least one more in that line..
Totally new is like jumping off a plane.. hoping whomever packed your chute did GREAT job.

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #52 on: 11 Feb 2019, 02:56 am »
elizabeth

Ho long did it take for your BP-26 and 4BSST2 combination to settle in?

Elizabeth

« Reply #53 on: 11 Feb 2019, 02:39 pm »
elizabeth

Ho long did it take for your BP-26 and 4BSST2 combination to settle in?
You're asking me to remember something almost nine years ago/ Settle in? It was fine from day one. I remember no problems except trying to get the amp to turn on! Some mix up with the remote on/off and not having it connected. Anyway, after a dozen attempts flipping switches the amplifier came on. Now I know not to change 'remote' setting with it off. Since then both have worked perfectly.
In other news as I upgraded stuff both the BP-26 and amp have always let the better sound be heard. Particularly this last year with a lot of new upgrades. Magnepan speakers from 3.6 to 20.7  New DAC.SACD, lots of AC upgrades.
I can say I leave the amp and preamp on 24/7/365. The amplifier does take at least a few hours to sound really good. and for best sound, a whole day. (like most solid state equipment)

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #54 on: 11 Feb 2019, 05:28 pm »
Thanks, Elizabeth

I've had my 4BSST2 since getting Thiel 3.5 speakers  (now Thiel 2.7s). I got a BP-6 early on, and, for years, the 6 and 4B were it.    I bought a 17cubed last October, and am really happy with it, although it took about two months to settle in with the 4B. (wonderful mids and highs)

Now, I'm putting together a system for my son, using a 4BSST2 I picked up on eBay and a new BP-26. I'm using my speakers and an old pair of AR3a speakers while I look for a pair of Thiels for him.  Switching between my old BP-6 and the new 26, I can certainly tell the difference, as the 26 sounds more dense and with a pronounced lower mid range. (Strange, as the 6 and 26 have the same basic amplification circuitry.)

As you, I leave my preamp, amplifier and CD-3 spinner on, 24/7. 

R. Daneel

« Reply #55 on: 21 Feb 2019, 06:50 pm »
Didn't James Tanner say this new preamp will be an additional product, not a replacement for the existing ones?

The "older" BP-6 and -26 preamps cost more to make as they require a lot more human labor since the components are "through-hole" type and require soldering. The newer BP-17 on the other hand employs more SMT components so it is more efficient to make and it's likely the new preamp will be based on the BP-17 chassis. While I perfectly understand the reasons to move to SMT, the "classic" designs are getting harder and harder to find. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to ame 5 companies that still make their preamps the old-fashioned way.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 21 Feb 2019, 06:53 pm »
Didn't James Tanner say this new preamp will be an additional product, not a replacement for the existing ones?

The "older" BP-6 and -26 preamps cost more to make as they require a lot more human labor since the components are "through-hole" type and require soldering. The newer BP-17 on the other hand employs more SMT components so it is more efficient to make and it's likely the new preamp will be based on the BP-17 chassis. While I perfectly understand the reasons to move to SMT, the "classic" designs are getting harder and harder to find. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to ame 5 companies that still make their preamps the old-fashioned way.

Hi

Yes the new BP-18 preamp will be an addition to the current line-up.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #57 on: 22 Feb 2019, 07:56 am »
Hi

james

...pics, James...we need pics :drool: :drool:

al.

saveloy

« Reply #58 on: 22 Feb 2019, 11:25 am »
Hi

james

Hi James,

Long time - hope you're well.  So how will the BP-18 differ from the BP26 & BP17? 
I will be making a purchase this year, require only an analogue pre-amp, and wonder whether I'm best served by the BP17.

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 22 Feb 2019, 11:28 am »

...pics, James...we need pics :drool: :drool:

al.

Hi Al,

Sorry at this point it is still in a 'breadboard' layout so nothing resembling a preamp.

james