A Work In Progress (Adding A Second DeepHemp)

ZLS

A Work In Progress (Adding A Second DeepHemp)
« on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:00 pm »
It has been 3 years this month that I first called up Louis and purchased my first pair of Omega Speakers.  I currently own a pair of Dipole XRS's with the 4 1/2" Hemptone  Driver.  I just finished setting up the second Deephemp (Sub)Woofer last night and played the system for the first time.  The sound was exactly as Louis described it to be (Why do I ever doubt?)  The sound is big!  The soundstage when called for is huge, and everything is locked into place.  I played Duke Ellington's Jazz Party, and for the first time ever got a taste of what it must have been like to hear the Ellington Band live.  Small scale recordings have the soloist/vocalist front and center with a deep soundstage.  The house Omega sound of the Hemptone Driver is all there; abundant with Harmonic information and possesing great pace, rhythm and timing.The term I keep returning to is "More So"  Every time I have purchased a different model  Omega  I am reminded of why I was so taken with Omega Speakers from the very first time I heard one.  Be it the Fostex Driver, the Visaton Driver the Hemptone Driver, or the Hemptone Woofer each builds on the strength's of the previous speaker's and extends the listening experience. 
    I have not even come close to fine tuning the system, and my electronics are in a state of flux.  I simply wanted to report that a two DeepHemp (Sub)Woofers are indeed better than one. 
    It is possible today to purchase speakers that start at $20,000 for the base model.  These speakers are not built as well as Omega Speakers, do not come close to looking as beautiful as Omega Speakers, and do not come within spitting distance to telling the truth about the music as Omega Speakers do.  The purchase of a DeepHemp or a DeepHemp cube or a pair of the same will increase your enjoyment of your listening experience immensely. 
    Louis, once again I thank you. 

Flashman

• Devialet Expert 220 Pro and Vivd Oval 1.5s
Re: A Work In Progress (Adding A Second DeepHemp)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2008, 12:57 am »
This is my first post on the Omega board.  I'm excited about the post by ZLS because Louis is just about through on my order of dual Deep Hemps, with dual Compact Hemps to sit atop them, separated by a thick black marble sandwich.  I have a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 integrated amp to drive the combo.  I first heard the Omega/RWA combination at the home of a friend who has a pair of Max Hemps complemented with a Deep Hemp, all powered by RWA monoblock 70.2s.  The sound is magnificent.

Soon my vintage Klipsch Forte 1 speakers will be sidelined and sold, which means I'll have to change my ID image (to your left) of the still wonderful aftermarket Bob Crites crossover for the Forte speakers.  But after having those speakers since 1987 I guess it's time to change!

When I get my combo broken in, I'll post impressions, perhaps not as eloquently as Jerome Saliga, who's done a marvelous job conveying the sublime characteristics of the Omega house sound.

all best, Flashman
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2008, 11:53 am by Flashman »

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2008, 03:08 am »
Hi Gents,

I do have a pair of Compact Hemp's and Deep Hemp subs. All I can say is y'all are in for a real treat ! I've held off on a thread mostly because Jerome has written about all there is to wright about Louis' astounding creations. My system is also in a radical state of transition, not only are the C-Hemp's being run in , but also a modded transport and new pre amp. Plus my listening space is being worked on as well. I've got about 300 hours on the C-Hemp's, mostly with the Isotek System Enhancement Disc. I'll start a thread as soon as things get a little more normal around here.

Enjoy,

Rodge

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2008, 10:57 pm »
This is my first post on the Omega board.  I'm excited about the post by ZLS because Louis is just about through on my order of dual Deep Hemps, with dual Compact Hemps to sit atop them, separated by a thick black marble sandwich.  I have a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 integrated amp to drive the combo.  I first heard the Omega/RWA combination at the home of a friend who has a pair of Max Hemps complemented with a Deep Hemp, all powered by RWA monoblock 70.2s.  The sound is magnificent.

Soon my vintage Klipsch Forte 1 speakers will be sidelined and sold, which means I'll have to change my ID image (to your left) of the still wonderful aftermarket Bob Crites crossover for the Forte speakers.  But after having those speakers since 1987 I guess it's time to change!

When I get my combo broken in, I'll post impressions, perhaps not as eloquently as Jerome Saliga, who's done a marvelous job conveying the sublime characteristics of the Omega house sound.

all best, Flashman
Nice system Flashman!b I have Compacts with ACI Force XL (and love them). But my dream system would be to add one or two Deep Hemps. Did Louis get into the advantages and disadvantages of stacking vs. using speaker stands and placing the subs independently? I already have Skyland stands, so curious if stacked is better. Do you know how much the Granite sandwich adds to the price if the package???

Thanks and good luck. Kent

Flashman

• Devialet Expert 220 Pro and Vivd Oval 1.5s
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2008, 01:02 am »
Kent,

Sent you a PM.

all best, Flashman

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2008, 01:46 pm »
I am buying SuperHemps and 2 Deeps now, planning to use the Deeps as stands. If there are any spare PMs going around I'll take one!  :thumb:

I planned to put some of that non-slip thin rubber mat between them, and teh Deeps on spikes, sitting on some big bits of slate (40+lb) with felt stuck on the bottom so I can slide them on the floor boards.

Was going to go with one Deep and some DIY heavy stands but want the dual bass power and will save money on stands this way too :wink:

rodge827

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2008, 11:39 pm »
Steven,

I'm using Herbie's Big Fat Dots as a decoupler between the Compact Hemp's and Deep Hemp's with very good results. Six per side, one in each corner and two in the middle. Soundstage is very open with no muddling from the Deeps.

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/bigfat.htm

Rodge

stevenkelby

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2008, 12:01 am »
Thanks Rodge. I have Herbies mat and love it. Are those dots self adhesive or are they "grippy"? I don't want teh Supers to slide off the Deeps when moving them in and out for listening/WAF.

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2008, 02:47 am »
Hi Steven,

The dot's aren't "slippery" in that when you place your Supers on them they (your Super's) will stay where you put them,  and there is no adhesive on the Dot's either. I looked into other decoupling devices (Symposium Svelts $450.00) and decided to give these a try. All 12 ran me about $120.00. Well worth the experiment. I'm so pleased with the Dot's that the Svelts aren't going to make the trip to my place.

Good luck,

Rodge

stevenkelby

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2008, 03:33 am »
I ordered the Von Schweikert Special: For module decoupling, eight Big Fat Dots plus two Small Fat Dots. Use four Big Fat Dots per speaker, one near each corner, with a Small Fat Dot in the middle. $70.80

Now I just need the speakers, can't wait!

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2008, 04:17 am »
Steven,

It is worth the wait  :drool: You will LOVE your choice  :thumb: The tonal quality is to totally live for. Tonight I'm in a neuvo flamenco mood and Ottmar Liebert is footing the bill just fine. Speed, air, accuracy, depth, it's all there.

Rodge

JDK1

« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2008, 01:02 pm »
I have my XLS's stacked on the HempCubes, with a cork slice cut to match the XLS outline as buffer/decoupler. Seems to work well, with minimal cost. I bought the cork (a big sheet) from an art supply store for about $15. The combination of XLS and Cubes really work well - sonically and visually....Best, jdk