Talk me into buying the NX-Otica

Glady86

Talk me into buying the NX-Otica
« on: 24 May 2020, 11:52 pm »
Im looking to possibly upgrade my audio system but not sure which way to go. I own Emerald Physics 4.7, Epique CBT24 and a pair of Kef LS50 that I just bought to try out the Kef UNI-Q design. I like the Emerald Physics and Epique models but both those models are somewhat lacking in accurate tone and resolution. I like the Kef at lower volume with good recordings, they have better resoluton and I like the more prominent treble response. But they dont fair well at louder volumes and can sound too forward and bright. Some  recordings I could enjoy with my Emerald Phsics speakers sound pretty bad with the Kefs, maybe they are too honest or Id need a higher end Kef model?

Since I like the open baffle sound,  I was mostly considering the NX-OTICA kit and possibly Spatial Audio X5 though the cost of those is more than I want to spend. I also have two Dayton Ultimax 15"  sealed subs I use with my speakers.

My question is would the NX-OTICA be a step up over what I own and would I need the GR Research subs? Or could I use my sealed subs with them with good results?

I have pretty good amps and sources, Symphonic Line Tube preamp, Odyssey Audio power amps. Sony Modwright XA777Es, Oppo 105, Yamah T1 tuner, and a highly "tricked out" Lenco turntable setup.

Jonathon Janusz

Re: Talk me into buying the NX-Otica
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2020, 02:06 am »
Hello!

For context, I've heard the EP 4.7, the LS50, and Danny's Super 7 that uses the same open baffle neo3 tweeter from the NX-Otica (albeit in a wider baffle), but I haven't heard the NX-Otica directly.  Based on how you describe the differences in your current speakers, I'd venture the NX-Otica won't be at all as harsh as the LS50, and although the EP 4.7 might have an edge in dynamics, the NX-Otica should be a more resolving speaker that can image very well (maybe a bit better than the EP 4.7, but the coax in the EP 4.7 might make that more of a 'different' kind of argument than clearly 'better/worse'), and might not be as forgiving on poor recordings as the EP 4.7 but (knowing Danny's designs in general) shouldn't be analytical to the point of not enjoyable and trades that bit of honesty for a big step up in refinement compared to the EP 4.7.  Unless your main point of enjoyment from the EP 4.7 is big pro-audio driver dynamic range capability because of the genres of music you listen to, I think the NX-Otica might check many of the boxes you are asking about.

As for the subs, ideally a pair of OB servo subs would come along for the ride, but I don't see any reason you couldn't use your existing subs and do just fine with them until you feel the need/want to go open baffle across the entire frequency range.  The advantage to going with the floor standing NX-Otica instead of the MTM monitor version of them is that the floorstanders can cross over much lower to the subs and blend well, so there isn't as much worry about missing out on the open baffle magic in the lower midrange/upper bass that the MTMs would need open baffle subs playing high to accomplish.

I haven't heard the Spatial X5, but a lot of people who's ears seem to align with mine have been very, very impressed with them and the other AMT-based models in the Spatial lineup.  It is a very different speaker conceptually than the NX-Otica, and anything I'd have to say one or the other would really be just speculation, so all I'll say is that I personally wouldn't feel like I was taking a step up or down looking in to one or the other, but rather competitive products each with unique strengths; the difference in price is more about your sweat equity in to the DIY NX-Otica versus buying the X5 as a finished product.

If you've got the time, tools, and talent, the NX-Otica has been described as not just a flat-out great speaker but a whole lot of speaker for the money.

Glady86

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2020, 02:59 am »
Hi there, thanks for the response! I do listen to mostly rock music from classic to alternative. The big dynamics and ability to play loud and sound great  is part of what I like about the EP 4.7 plus the imaging and soundstaging affects of the coax and open baffle design. Mine are custom calibrated somewhat for my room which I think was a step up from the original settings. Its endless the amount of tweaking you can do with them. Just today I improved the sound with some minor tweaks to the subwoofer crossover adjustments.

Im thinking the Spatials would definitely be an upgrade in terms of accuracy and tone realism do to the better quality drivers, but I dont think I can justfy the cost. I like to build stuff and the cheaper cost of the NX-Otica is why Im interested in maybe trying those.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2020, 04:21 am »
Well then, among Danny's designs I would be more inclined to go in the direction of the NX-Otica (or NX-Extreme if you've got the room) than say the Super-7 I've heard because the word seems to be that where the cone drivers in the NX-Otica give up maybe a little transparency to the Neo-10 drivers in the Super-7, they make up for it in body in the midrange, which I think would suit your music very well.

You'll be giving up some speaker efficiency and if you rock out loud in a huge room might hit thermal compression sooner (which your Odyssey amps shouldn't have a problem driving the NX-Otica pretty loud if you want to go there), but if you're in a reasonable sized room and play at less than live rock concert levels most of the time, I think the subjective sound quality over quantity will be a nice step up from where you are now.

Glady86

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2020, 09:56 am »
 I dont listen at concert levels so should be fine. Its just that most other speakers Ive owned started to sound too bright and lost sound quality and smoothness compared to the EP at more "satisfying" volume levels. 

Including some other models Ive owned. NHT 2 9, Vapor Audio Cirrus, Tekton Impact monitor,  Behringer 212 pro monitors and the Epique CBT24. And well its probably not fair to the Kef LS50 because of the small size.

Glady86

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2020, 12:16 pm »
  I've watched some videos regarding GR Research and concluded I will buy either the NX Otica or Extremes as my next speaker purchase. Probably just start with the basic kit and maybe upgrade the crossover caps and add subs later on. Unless the better crossover parts are really that important?

Also, should I wait to order till after the woofers are available or should I order ahead of time? Maybe they could send the kit without the out of stock parts so I could start the building and finishing process,  possibly ship out the woofers when available?

I built my Epique CBT24 and Dayton subs, plus phono stages and turntables so I have some DIY experience and actually enjoy it.

mkrawcz

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2020, 12:44 pm »
  I've watched some videos regarding GR Research and concluded I will buy either the NX Otica or Extremes as my next speaker purchase. Probably just start with the basic kit and maybe upgrade the crossover caps and add subs later on. Unless the better crossover parts are really that important?

The upgraded crossover parts make a huge difference, I would get them now. If you cannot get them now, at least get the Miflex by-pass cap for the tweeter.

Glady86

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2020, 01:22 pm »
Okay thanks for that, I have no problem with the extra cost.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2020, 01:28 pm »
I've watched some videos regarding GR Research and concluded I will buy either the NX Otica or Extremes as my next speaker purchase.

Great!  If your budget can make it to the NX-Extremes, I don't think you'd be losing anything against your EP speakers, but directly gaining on your pain points with the open baffle Neo 3 against the compression driver in the EP - the Extremes give you high 90's efficiency and will be playing open baffle down very low where the subs you have now will only really be filling in the absolute bottom end, making adding the open baffle subs something you can stretch out further as budget allows (if at all if you end up perfectly happy with what you've got) without feeling you're missing anything.

Probably just start with the basic kit and maybe upgrade the crossover caps and add subs later on. Unless the better crossover parts are really that important?

The upgraded crossover parts make a huge difference, I would get them now. If you cannot get them now, at least get the Miflex by-pass cap for the tweeter.

I agree with this statement; the base speaker in either case (they share the MTM section) should be a step up from what you've got, but again if you've got the budget, the upgrades with Danny's kits usually take a design from 'competes with speakers at or a good ways above its price class' to 'competes with anything price no object' if that makes sense.  With the gear you've listed you have upstream, I'd bet it would be worth the upgrade.

Also, should I wait to order till after the woofers are available or should I order ahead of time? Maybe they could send the kit without the out of stock parts so I could start the building and finishing process,  possibly ship out the woofers when available?

If you've got the time to work on the project now and get started, no reason to wait!  The flat packs for the cabinets get shipped separately from the drivers and electronics anyway, so you could absolutely be building your speakers while waiting for the drivers to come in.  :thumb:

Glady86

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2020, 01:45 pm »
Thanks for the information guys. I should of mentioned my listening space is a 14’ buy 40’ foot basement with only 6 1/2 foot high ceiling. What’s the dimensions and weight of the NX-Extreme. Maybe the NX-Otica would be better for this room?

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2020, 01:55 pm »
Don (captainhemo - who makes the cabinet parts) can confirm but an early thread about these models shows the extremes coming in at 82.5" tall, so you might run out of ceiling height going for the extremes if you've only got 78" to work with.  The NX-Otica would fit no problem, of course.

Glady86

« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2020, 02:04 pm »
Yes I just read they are 86" inches high!  But even at 82.5" They wont fit dammit! Oh well, at least the NX-OTICA  are a bit cheaper and Ill add the subs later on if I desire.

The would barely fit without the drop cieling but thats not an option.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2020, 04:17 pm »

Safe to say, the Ottica's will be a better fit!! Fear not however, you really don't give up that much to the bigger brother and with your low ceiling height I don't think it would change the overall signature much, if at all.

Cheers,

Don

Jaytor

« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2020, 06:01 pm »
The NX-Oticas are really an incredible value, particularly with the crossover upgrades. My room is 17' x 27' with just under 8' ceilings. I have a doorway size opening in one back corner, and a 7ft opening on the rear side wall on the other side, so it's a fairly large room. I have no problem getting the NX-Oticas to play louder than I can handle without any signs of obvious compression. They can really rock.

They do surprisingly well with no subs, so a think a couple of conventional subs to augment the low end would work fine. Of course, there is nothing like the GR open-baffle servo subs if you have the room and budget.

I'd strongly recommend all the crossover upgrades you can afford/justify if you are looking for clarity and detail. I got the basic upgrades that Danny offers on his website, but if I was doing it over again, I'd probably go for even higher quality. The only reason I'm not looking at this now is because I have my eye on building a set of Line Forces.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2020, 06:10 pm »
  Spatial X-2 would be my choice.

charles

Glady86

« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2020, 06:16 pm »
Hi there, Iit looks like you guys actually did talk me into ordering the NX-OTICA kit. I just did it,  with the basic upgrades and all. Really Looking forward to the project!

Thanks for all the help!

Glady86

« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2020, 06:22 pm »
Too late Charles, plus the Spacial Audio offerings Id pick are priced out of my range. $7000.00 for the X5 is more than Im willing to spend on speakers, though I could of afforded it.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2020, 03:22 am »
 :thumb:

Have fun with the build!

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2020, 04:47 pm »
Don (captainhemo - who makes the cabinet parts) can confirm but an early thread about these models shows the extremes coming in at 82.5" tall, so you might run out of ceiling height going for the extremes if you've only got 78" to work with.  The NX-Otica would fit no problem, of course.

Don is  Endo2112 ,   Jay is  Captainhemo  :beer:
And just to confirm,   the  NX-Treme stands  just shy of  84" with no spikes.

Glady86 ,  I  got the feeling  from reading your posts  that you  don't mind spending the extra on the   upgraded network parts.  I'd really consider going with the  full blown  copper  caps that  Danny is carrying ....   at least on the   tweeter  filter  and posibly  the  shunt cap in the mids.   The high pass bundle  into the mids  is probably  not  feesable  so bypassing it wit a MiFlex copper  would be the next  best thing..

Your   2 15's should   get your going  just  fine.  In the future,  ideally you'd add  either a pair of dual or triple  ob  servo stacks and then   run the  2  15's in the rear  of the room   out of phase from the  front ob stacks

jay

Glady86

« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2020, 04:55 pm »

Don is  Endo2112 ,   Jay is  Captainhemo  :beer:
And just to confirm,   the  NX-Treme stands  just shy of  84" with no spikes.

Glady86 ,  I  got the feeling  from reading your posts  that you  don't mind spending the extra on the   upgraded network parts.  I'd really consider going with the  full blown  copper  caps that  Danny is carrying ....   at least on the   tweeter  filter  and posibly  the  shunt cap in the mids.   The high pass bundle  into the mids  is probably  not  feesable  so bypassing it wit a MiFlex copper  would be the next  best thing..

jay

Hi there, I ordered all the basic options. I believe it is Sonicaps upgrade, foil inductors and a copper cap for the tweeters. I had amps upgraded with Sonicaps from Wima and think they are a good reasonable priced option.