Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2

persisting1

Re: Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2
« Reply #160 on: 16 Dec 2011, 01:06 am »
I will say I've always liked the looks of the 901 speaker stands. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #161 on: 16 Dec 2011, 01:28 am »
...and I will also add that "Live Music" is not "Accurate" also !   8)

Well that pretty well takes the cake - makes the whole thread worthwhile!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #162 on: 16 Dec 2011, 02:07 am »
Are we so desperate for entertainment that we find HFSG amusing? Personally I think we should vote him off the island. He doesn't interact - he just acts stupid.

werd

« Reply #163 on: 16 Dec 2011, 02:08 am »
I'll try... Uh they are all things hifisoundguy does on the weekend?

I don't know about that. But i can tell ya there all tons of fun until your friends catch ya doing it......YAH
 lol

chrisby

« Reply #164 on: 16 Dec 2011, 06:33 pm »
Well that pretty well takes the cake - makes the whole thread worthwhile!

if only there was an experienced field recorder of acoustic/vocal music to offer some opinions on the subject

WTF how can live music be "accurate" or not? -  with or without amplification , it is was it is - some certainly not very pleasant, but definitely "real". I'd rather hear an doctored (therefore "distorted")  live recording of a performance  at Hermann's Jazz club than one that accurately documented the wretched sonics you're likely to hear there on any given night.   

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #165 on: 16 Dec 2011, 06:45 pm »

A pair of stacked 901s is strictly amateur hour.  If you're really serious about audio you will want the tried and true triple stack of 802 Series II + 901 Series IV + 901 Series VI.  Then hold on to your socks.

Yeah, but to really get the sound out of them, you'll need to tri-amp each set with the appropriate equalizers. 

Æ

« Reply #166 on: 18 Dec 2011, 12:26 am »
I just re-read some of his inane posts and it occurred to me that it is possible he is pulling all of our chains. He never rises to the bait of harsh rebuttals, just keeps on with his line. He always supports the most inane processes and products, the ones guaranteed to create an emotional response - Bose Wave and 901, concrete speaker cone treatment, clever little clocks, ceramic tiles in midrange enclosures:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=46819.msg419750#msg419750
and teflon tape mods, to name a few.

He may just be a brilliant jokester. Just maybe.

If you are correct, the "joke" really is on us. . . But those types of posts, similar posts are a dime a dozen over at that "other" website. Why would he go to all the trouble of duplicating his posts at both websites when he'll only get a good laugh from fooling, messing with the participants at one of the websites?

Maybe he is conducting a psychology experiment and we are the control group.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #167 on: 18 Dec 2011, 01:11 am »
The pot and the kettle.  :|

I say dump this one into the IW and try again.

persisting1

« Reply #168 on: 18 Dec 2011, 01:23 am »
The pot and the kettle.  :|

I say dump this one into the IW and try again.

+1

TONEPUB

« Reply #169 on: 18 Dec 2011, 01:31 am »
Are we so desperate for entertainment that we find HFSG amusing? Personally I think we should vote him off the island. He doesn't interact - he just acts stupid.

Gotta agree with you there dude!  I'd still love to see a pic of the room.

Old, retired guy with nothing to do.  Guess I can't get that mad at him.

persisting1

« Reply #170 on: 18 Dec 2011, 02:31 am »
Gotta agree with you there dude!  I'd still love to see a pic of the room.

Old, retired guy with nothing to do.  Guess I can't get that mad at him.

TONEPUB, age is just a number  :weights:

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #171 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:11 am »
I took my BOSE 901's equalizer apart and put 4 layers of teflon tape on the top and bottom plates like I did to my Yamaha a-s2000 and this made a nice improvement for my 901 speakers ! Maybe Jeff could try this teflon tape vibration tweak and let us know what he thinks about this in his upcoming review on these 901's.  8)

TONEPUB

« Reply #172 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:24 am »
You really don't understand how audio reviews work.  When reviewing anyone's components, you don't make bizarro tweaks to them. You evaluate what comes in the box.

Again, just like your bizarro outlet tweak, I tried a little bit of teflon tape on my ARC REF Phono 2.  No difference.

I think the teflon lid tweak, like all your other tweaks are silly.

And again, I'd love to see a picture of your room with all your tweaked gear. But we won't be seeing any of that will we?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #173 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:34 am »
Maybe HFSG is really Corey Greenberg having fun. It's got to be something like that. There's no way anybody could really be as weird and worthless in real life. I'm sure there's a joke behind this ..... or something genuinely malevolent.

I'm ready to see pictures too. Show us you are for real.

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #174 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:41 am »
You really don't understand how audio reviews work.  When reviewing anyone's components, you don't make bizarro tweaks to them. You evaluate what comes in the box.

Again, just like your bizarro outlet tweak, I tried a little bit of teflon tape on my ARC REF Phono 2.  No difference.

And again, I'd love to see a picture of your room with all your tweaked gear. But we won't be seeing any of that will we?

:nono: Yes, you really tried to trash those Maestro ac outlets over there on the Steve Hoffman forum but we both know why you did it !

You better not try that with the BOSE 901 review....  8)

Æ

« Reply #175 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:47 am »

It doesn't really matter if it works or not, just as long as they believe it does. Call it the placebo effect or slight of hand. It's really a psychological phenomenon, all it requires is belief/faith. They'll tell you wonderful stories, claiming all sorts of nonsense, never backing it up with credible, repeatable data. If you can measure it, see it on a scope or meter, then it is verifiable.

Like someone else said, it's virtually a free tweak, so let them have at it.
Knock on wood. Step on a crack, break your mother's back.

Soundminded

« Reply #176 on: 21 Dec 2011, 12:52 am »
It doesn't really matter if it works or not, just as long as they believe it does. Call it the placebo effect or slight of hand. It's really a psychological phenomenon, all it requires is belief/faith. They'll tell you wonderful stories, claiming all sorts of nonsense, never backing it up with credible, repeatable data. If you can measure it, see it on a scope or meter, then it is verifiable.

Like someone else said, it's virtually a free tweak, so let them have at it.
Knock on wood. Step on a crack, break your mother's back.

Are you kidding? Removing the grill cloths lets the bad air out, dontcha know?

Æ

« Reply #177 on: 21 Dec 2011, 12:58 am »
Are you kidding? Removing the grill cloths lets the bad air out, dontcha know?

Only if the cloth is hypoallergenic. :thumb:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #178 on: 21 Dec 2011, 02:44 am »
If you are correct, the "joke" really is on us. . . But those types of posts, similar posts are a dime a dozen over at that "other" website. Why would he go to all the trouble of duplicating his posts at both websites when he'll only get a good laugh from fooling, messing with the participants at one of the websites?

Maybe he is conducting a psychology experiment and we are the control group.

Maybe we are the Out Of Control Group  :icon_twisted:

Æ

« Reply #179 on: 21 Dec 2011, 06:26 am »
Maybe we are the Out Of Control Group  :icon_twisted:

No.