DAC-9/DAC-10 vs Oppo 205

carsandcoffeee

DAC-9/DAC-10 vs Oppo 205
« on: 16 Aug 2018, 02:29 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone compared the Oppo 205 DAC section to Nuprime DAC-9 or DAC-10? I was originally planning to get the Oppo 203 and use a separate DAC (Nuprime or an R2R DAC) but the 205 will simplify the setup and make life easier.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience.

envydd

Re: DAC-9/DAC-10 vs Oppo 205
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2018, 05:40 pm »
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/

It measures well but I dont know it compares with DAC10/9 .... FWIW I have my Oppo203 connected via both the coax and the pre out to my Nuprime HDAVA which has a good dac/pre. For SACDs the analog output of 203 is quite pleasing.

Are you planning to connect the Oppo-205 to a NuP power amp?

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2018, 06:31 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone compared the Oppo 205 DAC section to Nuprime DAC-9 or DAC-10? I was originally planning to get the Oppo 203 and use a separate DAC (Nuprime or an R2R DAC) but the 205 will simplify the setup and make life easier.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience.

As an OPPO and NuPRIME Dealer, I would steer you to look for the OPPO 203 and use the DAC in the DAC-9 or DAC-10.

While the OPPO is an excellent component, the DAC chip implementation is not to the same level, nor is the Volume Control.

So if you are a meticulous, High Performance Audio seeker, the NuPRIME DAC with the Oppo 203, or even 103 will be the better path IMHO.

If you are not looking for the "absolute" best, then the OPPO is a good choice, at a slight performance loss.

carsandcoffeee

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2018, 08:10 pm »
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/

It measures well but I dont know it compares with DAC10/9 .... FWIW I have my Oppo203 connected via both the coax and the pre out to my Nuprime HDAVA which has a good dac/pre. For SACDs the analog output of 203 is quite pleasing.

Are you planning to connect the Oppo-205 to a NuP power amp?

Thanks. My current setup is Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio M3TM. But I'll try to get an Oppo 203 or 205 for connecting 4K devices and play CD/Blu-ray's. If I'm sticking with a Nuprime DAC, I might switch to a DAC-9 to inject a bit of warmth.

As an OPPO and NuPRIME Dealer, I would steer you to look for the OPPO 203 and use the DAC in the DAC-9 or DAC-10.

While the OPPO is an excellent component, the DAC chip implementation is not to the same level, nor is the Volume Control.

So if you are a meticulous, High Performance Audio seeker, the NuPRIME DAC with the Oppo 203, or even 103 will be the better path IMHO.

If you are not looking for the "absolute" best, then the OPPO is a good choice, at a slight performance loss.

Thanks John. I'm ok with a slight performance loss in the DAC section, but as you mentioned the volume control of 205 vs DAC-9/10 is my bigger concern. Some people recommend using an attenuator on the Oppo (if the signal is too hot) as it helps to keep the volume levels closer to 100 and alleviate quality loss if any.

1. I don't know if Oppo volume control is bad that I'll loose a lot of detail/quality at lower volumes.
2. I have no clue if using an attenuator is a good idea.

FYI, my music source is primarily Tidal/Spotify.

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2018, 08:38 pm »
I am using the exact same setup in my FR setup with the 203 connected by Coax to the DAC-10 for audio and by HDMI to the TV for video.  The DAC section in the 203 to my ears is no where close to the DAC-10.  I also for a time used an Oppo Sonica which is the DAC section from the 205 and while it was different than the DAC-10 it was not better and the "Preamp" section was not close.  I found it to be flat sounding. The Sonica now resides in the Office system used just as a DAC/Streamer into an Integrated amp.  Just my opinion from trying.  While the 205 may in fact have a second 9038 chip that the Sonica does not it is used only for the A/V outputs not the Analog ones which like the Sonica uses just one chip.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2018, 07:41 am »
The performance of DAC chips (ESS 9018, 9028, 9038) only account for a barely noticeable difference in performance with all else equal.  For the Evo DAC, we have to rethink everything else outside the DAC chip.  That's why OPPO DAC with ESS9038 does not sound as good as DAC-10 with ESS9018.
But obviously the EVO DAC design doesn't come cheap.

carsandcoffeee

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2018, 05:42 pm »
I am using the exact same setup in my FR setup with the 203 connected by Coax to the DAC-10 for audio and by HDMI to the TV for video.  The DAC section in the 203 to my ears is no where close to the DAC-10.  I also for a time used an Oppo Sonica which is the DAC section from the 205 and while it was different than the DAC-10 it was not better and the "Preamp" section was not close.  I found it to be flat sounding. The Sonica now resides in the Office system used just as a DAC/Streamer into an Integrated amp.  Just my opinion from trying.  While the 205 may in fact have a second 9038 chip that the Sonica does not it is used only for the A/V outputs not the Analog ones which like the Sonica uses just one chip.

Thank you Jack. Actually, I put together this setup after reading a lot through the forum and your posts were quite helpful. I think I'll stick to the plan of an Oppo-203 & Nuprime DAC9/10 pairing. One more thing.. I find this setup to be analytical/thin sounding and realized that my preference is a warmer system which usually helps with average/poor recordings. Can I PM you with a few questions and pick your brains?

The performance of DAC chips (ESS 9018, 9028, 9038) only account for a barely noticeable difference in performance with all else equal.  For the Evo DAC, we have to rethink everything else outside the DAC chip.  That's why OPPO DAC with ESS9038 does not sound as good as DAC-10 with ESS9018.

Thanks Jason. Looking forward to the EVO DAC. On a side note, I made a ticket with the nuoem helpdesk in March and haven't received a response yet (Ticket ID34).

envydd

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2018, 08:15 pm »

Looking forward to an Evo inspired integrated with a DAC/streamer/amp (IDA-32?), which will hopefully better a ST10/DAC10 combo. Dont care what chip is used as long as it has gr8 sound. That way I just have to get speaker wires and not waste time doing research on DACs/amps/interconnects!
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2018, 09:20 pm by envydd »

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2018, 09:13 pm »
carsandcoffee

Feel free to contact me anytime.