Super v sub hook-up for dummies {that's me}

2bigears

Super v sub hook-up for dummies {that's me}
« on: 5 Nov 2011, 01:32 am »
 :D  ha,almost ready to hook speakers into system and had the question of the day ?? normal speaker wires which use bananas.... normal hook-up here.......... this will handle the hi and mids.... Now, how the heck do you hook up the subs.... An RCA into "line in" ,,,, but from where ?? So you need 2 long rca cables ????   Man i wish i was born with a brain  :lol:    ----- can you use the" hi-level in terminals" on the sub amp  from your speaker terminals on main amp with regular speaker wire,or is this not the best ?? ??

shadowlight

Re: Super v sub hook-up for dummies {that's me}
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2011, 01:42 am »
Hi Bigears,

Had similar question related to my V2 connection.  Here is what Danny had to say and it might apply to super-v setup also:

Two ways:

1) Source -> pre-amp -> amp -> V-2 speaker input
and Source -> pre-amp -> amp -> SA-1 speaker level input

So you basically come off of the speaker input at the V-2 and run jumpers over to the SA-1 amp, or Y the output from the amp with one pair of speaker cables going to the speakers and one pair going to the SA-1 amps.

2) Source -> pre-amp -> amp -> V-2 speaker input
and Source -> pre-amp -> SA-1 using low level input (RCA's).

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100036.0

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2011, 01:46 am »
 :D thanks,so if you use speaker cables,you go to the "hi-level in " on the sub amps ???? :D

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2011, 01:54 am »
 :D  so what i get if you get an RCA splitter at back of the  main amp input, on both sides and run RCA cables to sub amp Line In ,this should get you up and into sweet music ??  :D

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2011, 02:57 am »
I don't even have these speakers and yet the words

"this thread is useless without pics"

echos in my brain.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2011, 03:10 am »
When I hooked up my V-1s I asked Danny the same question.
He said I could use speaker level. So I use banana from the amp to the binding posts
for mid and highs. I then use a spade from same binding posts to the high level inputs of the sub amps.
Heres a pic, hope you can see:

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2011, 03:26 am »
Yep, you can use speaker level inputs on the servo amp or low level inputs (RCA's).

tasar

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2011, 09:14 pm »
Yes, and you only need to run a single wire jumper from one of those speaker cables coming in, over to either side of the high level input L or R...bass is mono at these levels

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2011, 02:57 pm »
I'm at this point right now.  I mentioned it on another thread.  I tried figuring it out last night and I'm really lost.  I look at Dannys pictures and it seems to me the speakOn would fit backwards to what I saw In Dannys picture of it.  What I mean is that looking at the connector it appears to me that the four wires (1+, 2+, 1-, 2-), hook to the one side which would point the connector in the opposite direction I think I'm seeing in Danny's picture.  Plus, I'm not sure which wire of the four wires that would connect to it is the 1+, 1-, etc. etc.

Also I have the two wires from the crossover that connect to the electra cable connector, but what connects to that connector from the other side?  The same wire?  Does that then connect to the preamp?  If so, where do I get more of that wire?  I used up all but about 3 ft of the wire making the network and wiring up the subs.

I have the same issues with the SpeakOn connector.  It looks like the four wires from the subs connect to one side but what connects to the other side?  Do I need to get a certain type of cable to go to the sub-amp or do I splice the wires on the amp to the other side?  Then what are all the cable inputs on the amp for? I'm reading some of the other comments about banana clips, rca's, etc., but how do they connect to the connectors I already have?  I'm totally lost. 

I sure wish I had a good picture and/or a diagram for possible combinations.  I like the connectors that come with the kit.  I just don't know exactly how to use them or how to connect everything up to the amps.

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2011, 03:34 pm »
Ok, I think I just figured out the Speakon connector.  The four wires from the sub woofers hook to another connector that turns and snaps into the speakon.  I'll need to get some clamps put on the wire to connect to that other connector that will be on the connector plate I still need to make.

Then four wires from the sub-amp hook up to the speakon which you screw into four specific locations.  The speakon also has some kind of claw looking part that goes inside the speakon gray casing to secure the four wires coming in from the subamp (rythmik) to the speakon.  All I need to know now is what wires are 1+, 1- etc.  I also need to figure out how those four wires connect to the subamp and where.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2011, 03:58 pm »
+1 on the plug connects with +1 on the jack.

You choose what goes to what.

I wired mine like this:

Speakon +1 = 14awg Red (Larger wire) This is the audio output
Speakon -1 = 14awg Black
Speakon +2 = 22awg Red (smaller wire) This is for the Servo connections on the woofers.
Speakon -2 = 22awg Black

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2011, 04:36 pm »
+1 on the plug connects with +1 on the jack.

You choose what goes to what.

I wired mine like this:

Speakon +1 = 14awg Red (Larger wire) This is the audio output
Speakon -1 = 14awg Black
Speakon +2 = 22awg Red (smaller wire) This is for the Servo connections on the woofers.
Speakon -2 = 22awg Black

Thanks.  I was wondering if it was my choice.  I still have one question though.  Do I connect the speakon I have then to the amp, and will I need to get another speakon to hook to the speaker?  In other words, will I need four speakons total, two each for each speaker/amp?

That was very helpful.  I really appreciate it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2011, 05:20 pm »
Okay, let's see if I can un-complicate things with some simple pictures.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2011, 05:35 pm »

This is the cleanest and easiest way to do this. The amp already has the four wires coming off of it so you might as well use them and add the male SpeakOn connector to them. Then there is no need for any other wiring to be installed.

The female connector is to be mounted on the speaker. This keeps the speaker clean and then there are no cables hanging out of the back of your speakers.

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #14 on: 7 Nov 2011, 07:08 pm »
Awesome Danny.  That really helps.  By the way, where do you get your sleeve material that wraps the wiring?  I love that stuff. I just can't remember what you call it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2011, 07:37 pm »
Awesome Danny.  That really helps.  By the way, where do you get your sleeve material that wraps the wiring?  I love that stuff. I just can't remember what you call it.

Gary Dodd gave me a roll of the Tech Flex a couple of years ago.

TomS

« Reply #16 on: 7 Nov 2011, 09:48 pm »

I buy my Techflex from www.wirecare.com, Parts Express, and eBay. Lots of choices and it works great for this. My cats can't chew through it either.

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2011, 03:17 pm »
I buy my Techflex from www.wirecare.com, Parts Express, and eBay. Lots of choices and it works great for this. My cats can't chew through it either.

Thanks Tom.  I've got cats too.  :icon_lol: