ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!

Phil A

Re: ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!
« Reply #140 on: 8 Feb 2012, 12:23 am »

Something possibly interesting too all:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X1-HDMI-1-3b-Certified-Switcher-Digital-Coaxial-Port-/120781951686#vi-content

Not a big deal.  Looks identical to the Monoprice unit sold for two thirds of that every day (product ID is 5557).  The Monoprice unit is made by Port-ta out of Hong Kong and Port-ta's model is the PET4000.  I have them both.  One in the main system and one in the secondary basement system.  Here is the link to the Monoprice unit - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

ttsakai

« Reply #141 on: 12 Feb 2012, 07:41 pm »
Hi Dan,

I've seen several threads referring to Bybee rail installations on some of your Modwright CD player offerings. I currently own your Oppo 95 Modwright product and I'm wondering if you have currently have an official Bybee rail offering for this product. If so, I'm assuming this is a further enhancement of the original Modwright mod offering.

Would appreciate any clarification you can provide on this subject.

Thanks,
Tracy

Jeffy

« Reply #142 on: 14 Feb 2012, 05:07 pm »
rnrmf971 when you used flac did you use Amara or some other for playback.

rlmacklin

« Reply #143 on: 27 Feb 2012, 03:35 pm »
Hi Dan,

I've seen several threads referring to Bybee rail installations on some of your Modwright CD player offerings. I currently own your Oppo 95 Modwright product and I'm wondering if you have currently have an official Bybee rail offering for this product. If so, I'm assuming this is a further enhancement of the original Modwright mod offering.

Would appreciate any clarification you can provide on this subject.

Thanks,
Tracy

Tracy,

You might get a quicker response if you contact Dan through

http://www.modwright.com/contact-us.php

or call Dan at 360-247-6688

concerning the Bybee rails mod
(which I have on both DACs in my ModWright Oopo 95 and can highly recommend).

rlmacklin

jfz

« Reply #144 on: 9 Mar 2012, 01:31 pm »
I recently purchased an Oppo 95, and - if I keep it - will definitely get it modified in the future. 

1. For now, though, can anyone tell me how long it takes for the unit to "burn-in" and sound its best?

2. I'm also wondering if there is any kind of "fix" for the fan noise.  In my quiet environment, I can hear it from 12' away.  What is worse, though, is that I am stuck with sitting about 2' away from the player. 

Thanks!  Answers to both questions will help immensely, as my first issue is being sure I am going to keep the player.

dminches

« Reply #145 on: 10 Mar 2012, 11:46 am »
I also have a 95 but I didn't even know it had a fan. Is the unit in a cabinet or rack?  It really shouldn't be that loud.

rbbert

« Reply #146 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:15 pm »
I agree the fan noise can be annoying.  At least one modifier (not Modwright) make a "cage" to replace the Oppo's cover, which he claims allows the fan to be on much less of the time.

modwright

« Reply #147 on: 11 Mar 2012, 07:36 pm »
In my experience, I have to have my ear right at the unit to even hear the fan noise.  Perhaps Oppo started using quieter fans.  I have NEVER found the noise objectionable and given the heat of the video chips, it IS there for a reason!

Thanks,

Dan

MacAngus

« Reply #148 on: 12 Mar 2012, 01:29 am »
I have had my BDP-95 for over six months now with about 400 hrs. on it, and it's sounding more open and a little smoother. The fan noise is an issue with me as well. I contacted Oppo twice regarding the fan noise. They stated: "There have been no running changes to the fan of the player. It is possible that you are susceptible to hearing the fan noise of the player, while other customers are not. According to our records we have not yet repaired or replaced a player for excessive fan noise and have found the fan to actually be defective."
I find that somewhat dismissive. Ya, I am also susceptible to high "Total Harmonic Distortion", and low "Signal to Noise Ratios". :roll:
It really should not be an issue with such a fine player and it's the main reason I can't see going ahead with a mod to the player until it's fixed somehow,(a ModWright fix perhaps?)
I would let Oppo know if you have an issue with the fan noise.

jfz

« Reply #149 on: 12 Mar 2012, 12:46 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I just bought the player, so Oppo apparently has not made any changes to the fan.  I think maybe I have a more quiet environment than some.  I can’t imagine not being able to hear the fan from a couple feet away. 

*Does anyone know how long it takes for the unit to sound it’s best?*  It sounds a little strident at the moment. 

Ric Schultz

« Reply #150 on: 12 Mar 2012, 06:00 pm »
If you run the Oppo with its cover off it sounds better and the only time the fan will come on is when you are playing a Blue Ray.  A thin wooden top cover (dust cover) also allows more cooling and therefore no fan noise except blue ray play and almost sounds as good as no cover.  I am experimenting in the next week with a replacement fan and it might be better.  If it works then I will come back here and let you know what the fan is, where to get it and how to replace the stock fan.

modwright

« Reply #151 on: 12 Mar 2012, 06:29 pm »
Thanks Ric!  I would caution, only with our tube mods, about a wood cover, due to tubes and heat.

A fan that operated at a lower RPM and yet could still provide adquate cooling, is one way to lower the noise.  Also, better bearings!  The trick is to fine a fan that is the same size and will still provide aequate cooling, even at lower speed.

Take care,

Dan

ttsakai

« Reply #152 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:59 am »
I have a ModWright Oppo 95 and I also have a very difficult time "hearing" from others that the fan is not an issue from a noise perspective. I sit approximately 9 feet from my component shelf and I can clearly hear the fan from my listening position. I've even built a baffle extension which essentially is an extended exhaust port with sound absorption material on the inside surfaces to try and reduce the db level of the fan but I still can clearly hear the fan.

I find it so odd that the fan noise can be perceived so differently by the user population when in fact Oppo claims that no revisions have been implemented on the fan unit. I would imagine that the fan would consistently produce the same noise db level on every unit and yet the large discrepancy of noise perception exists.

Very interesting ...

Tracy

P.S. Dan, can you provide information regarding the addition of Bybee rails to the Oppo 95 and what results it produces?

craig223

« Reply #153 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:18 pm »
I have been considering going with the ModWright Oppo BDP-95 but have a question.  Does anyone use this as a DAC for their computer audio?  The ports are there but have never seen a comment about using the 95 as a DAC and a player.

modwright

« Reply #154 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:58 pm »
Hi, the Oppo 95 does have a USB and eSATA ports for use with an external storage device only, not direct connection to PC or laptop.  It is 24/192 asynch and I have used it and listened to it and it sounded good.  It goes to the same DACs and and of course through our tube analog stage.

The only thing to remember, is that there is no user interface for this input, so you must be connected to a TV or monitor, in order to navigate the directories.  And again, it has to be a static external drive, not through a PC or laptop.

Thanks,

Dan

NutBuster

« Reply #155 on: 13 Mar 2012, 08:34 pm »
I have been considering going with the ModWright Oppo BDP-95 but have a question.  Does anyone use this as a DAC for their computer audio?  The ports are there but have never seen a comment about using the 95 as a DAC and a player.
AVS has a quite a few posts on the subject on this 266 (at the moment) page thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311806
Good luck!
Steve Hoffman Forums in the hardware section all so will have info under 93, 95, & 95 mods threads.

rbbert

« Reply #156 on: 14 Mar 2012, 09:34 pm »
I would definitely second the notion of at least partially removing the cover, mentioned by Ric.  Not only is the sound slightly better, the fan will run much less often (also remember Pure Audio mode for less fan on-time)

mikeg1

« Reply #157 on: 15 Mar 2012, 08:51 am »
I have an Oppo 95 with the MWI Tube Mod coming on Friday. Can someone tell me what is the fuse size and rating is used? Is there one in the PS and main chassis of the Oppo 95? Thanks.

jfz

« Reply #158 on: 15 Mar 2012, 11:54 am »
Re Variable Audio Output: in the past with players and DACs, the sound has been comprised by turning down the volume using the player's volume control.

Is this the case with the Oppo 95?  I'm interested in two-channel audio in Pure Power mode.

Thanks...

dminches

« Reply #159 on: 15 Mar 2012, 01:54 pm »
Given that the volume control is in the digital domain (I think) I would expect it to be available in Pure Audio mode.  I have also read that you don't want to be using the volume control below 85% or so or the sound will become degraded.